Thread: "Hi! I learned about you from Matthew."

Member Pod of the Great Lakes Stede Bonnet's Avatar
    White Bear Lake, Minnesota, United States

"Hi! I learned about you from Matthew."

Whenever I share a fan page on Facebook, whether on my own Timeline or in a group, I ask people to look at the page, and - if they like it - to be sure to "like" it. Additionally, I ask people to post a brief note on the page to advise the admin of how they learned about the page.

My logic regarding this is that it accomplishes three things:

A) It introduces you to the admin,
    B) It lets the admin know that I have been a resource for her (or alerts her to the very existence of the group as a gathering of like-minded individuals), and
    C) It furthers the relationship that you and I have (or increases the visibility of the group).

Now, you might not know me. Maybe I have questionable aspects of my behavior, and you don't want to be associated with me in any tangible way. (Of course, maybe you feel that way because you *do* know me. hahaha) That's fine. I understand that, in which case, "I learned about you from a post in MerNetwork" would be all that I ask.

But.... people very rarely do that, even when I post something on my own Timeline, and anyone who sees THAT is a friend! This bothers me to such an extent that it was important enough for me to write about it here.

This is not finally about personal gain. The admin knows me, or doesn't, based upon my own merits - or lack thereof. It is, however, about building relationships and communities. We can all "like" things, but sometimes, those are just buttons. To me, it's about initiating conversations, introducing myself to someone and expressing appreciation for her efforts, to give her that documented validation and offer my support for her - whether that be someone who is just starting up or someone who has already built a loyal following, and to let her know that she has a friend in the referral source.

Is this an unreasonable expectation? Am I being a prima donna? What do you think?

Thanks in advance!
    “Idolatry is committed, not merely by setting up false gods, but also by setting up false devils; by making men afraid of war or alcohol, or economic law, when they should be afraid of spiritual corruption and cowardice.”

~G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)
    ~Illustrated London News: November 11, 1909

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    I'm sorry, I had a little difficulty understanding what you were asking. Are you saying that you ask people to mention you when they like something, but people rarely do, and it annoys you? And you were wondering whether that's a reasonable thing to be annoyed about?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Matt is one of the big supporters in the mer community. He's always introducing people, sharing pages and events trying to help people connect. He'd like if people when they follow his advice, let a page know when they've found the page because of him. Sort of like, if he were introducing people you'd say something like, "hey nice to meet you, I've heard about you through Matthew."

I've met lots of great people through Matthew, and he was one of my very first likes on my mer-page. His insights and ideas for my mer persona as well as his opinions when I ask questions have become invaluable.

Member Pod of the Great Lakes Stede Bonnet's Avatar
    White Bear Lake, Minnesota, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by malinghi View Post
    I'm sorry, I had a little difficulty understanding what you were asking. Are you saying that you ask people to mention you when they like something, but people rarely do, and it annoys you? And you were wondering whether that's a reasonable thing to be annoyed about?
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Matt is one of the big supporters in the mer community. He's always introducing people, sharing pages and events trying to help people connect. He'd like if people when they follow his advice, let a page know when they've found the page because of him. Sort of like, if he were introducing people you'd say something like, "hey nice to meet you, I've heard about you through Matthew."

I've met lots of great people through Matthew, and he was one of my very first likes on my mer-page. His insights and ideas for my mer persona as well as his opinions when I ask questions have become invaluable.
    Malinghi - That is *exactly* right.

Raina - You are generous in your comments, and your observation "hey nice to meet you, I've heard about you through Matthew" is specifically what I seek.

I have basically resigned myself to the fact that people won't do this, but it still bothers me... enough to bring it up here.

BTW, sorry for the massive delay in responding. I have been working on a "Get out the vote" telephone campaign ALL day.
    “Idolatry is committed, not merely by setting up false gods, but also by setting up false devils; by making men afraid of war or alcohol, or economic law, when they should be afraid of spiritual corruption and cowardice.”

~G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)
    ~Illustrated London News: November 11, 1909