Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    Daydream Island, near the Great Barrier Reef:
    Name:  Daydream-Island-Mermaids.jpg
Views: 4103
Size:  228.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lorelei View Post
    I've personally seen the ones in Puerto Vallarta! I absolutely love it there and the statues are incredible!
    Aren't they?? Some of them are very weird and have a ctuhulu feel, but I adore the one of the mermaid and merman. I should be going again in March to visit my mom so I'll look for more~

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    Name:  mermaid Cangas.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  842.3 KB

This statue (a mermaid and two dolphins) is beside a beach and a harbor in a small city called Cangas de Morrazo, in Galicia, Spain.

There is no special story behind it. Here in Spain you can find mermaid imagery in some cities that are by the side, just because mermaids can be found (maybe?) in the sea.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    In Singapore, we have the MerLion.

Name:  Merlion-Singapore.jpg
Views: 1650
Size:  61.9 KB
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Leira's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Leira on Facebook
    Cool thread, perfect timing, I just got home com a trip to Bali, there was this gorgeous mermaid holding merling statue I wanted to share and wasn't sure where to post, beautiful stuff guys I'll upload tomorrow

I was just in Solvang and they still have their little reproduction of the Copenhagen Mermaid.

To quote my mom "she has the same look on her face that I have when the ice cream runs out...."

Name:  Solvang Mermaid.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  482.9 KB
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    The Pretty Lau, a famous freshwater mermaid/waterspirit, with the Blue Pot, the always deep blue river spring near Ulm, in the background.

Name:  lautopf.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  152.5 KB

She was described as a very beautiful maiden with pale white skin, ankle-length black hair, and large blue eyes.
    She had no tail, only webbing between her fingers and toes (maybe because she was a halfbreed, her mother was human), and was banished into the spring because she never laughed.

This is our local mermaid statue.

Name:  Gerry-Oliver2.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  150.9 KB

. . . despite being a place that is both heavily maritime based -and- has a lot of public art, there is an odd lack of mermaid statues. I think this is the only one in the state.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Found while looking for islets in lakes and rivers:

Name:  nixe_isa-donau.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  425.7 KB

Statue of the nixe Isa, who was said to live under a large boulder near Jochenstein in the Danube river, luring in boaters with her song.

Mermaid and swan - a winning combination!

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene Web• Neptune's Keep Web• Facebook•MG YouTube•NK YouTube•Etsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    ah yes, swan maidens are to Germany what selkies are to Scotland!

Particularly Bavaria, as the last king was obsessed with swans.
    A dozen towns and facilities with "swan" in their name, two castles (old and new swanstone), and of course many swan lakes

Swan maidens were regarded as gentle, so maybe it's a pointer Isa sang beautifully, but didn't devour the sailors she attracted.
    It's the mers with scales and fangs you have to watch out for

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    mermaids on a cruise ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    ah yes, swan maidens are to Germany what selkies are to Scotland!

Particularly Bavaria, as the last king was obsessed with swans.
    A dozen towns and facilities with "swan" in their name, two castles (old and new swanstone), and of course many swan lakes
    Also Ludwig II was born in Schloss Nymphenburg, which really was named after nymphs.

The castle had an artificial lake and several ponds on its grounds, and a canal running through them, with an artificial waterfall. There was a royal bathing house (Badenburg) on the lake, and Ludwig II became an excellent swimmer from an early age. A real water baby!
    Last edited by AptaMer; 03-08-2016 at 06:37 AM.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by AptaMer View Post
    Also Ludwig II was born in Schloss Nymphenburg, which really was named after nymphs.

The castle had an artificial lake and several ponds on its grounds, and a canal runnin through them, with an artificial waterfall. There was a royal bathing house (Badenburg) on the lake, and Ludwig II became an excellent swimmer from an early age. A real water baby!
    True, true.
    He was said to cross the alpine lake below his castle every morning (can only have been during the warm months though, when I visited there 2 weeks ago, it was completely frozen lol), so he must have been an excellent swimmer.
    Which casts further doubt on the idea he drowned by accident, together with his psychotherapist aka jailor.

(sorry off-topic)

True, true.
    He was said to cross the alpine lake below his castle every morning (can only have been during the warm months though, when I visited there 2 weeks ago, it was completely frozen lol), so he must have been an excellent swimmer.
    Which casts further doubt on the idea he drowned by accident, together with his psychotherapist aka jailor.
    (sorry off-topic again)

Yes people have always said his death and the Bavarian government's explanation for it was suspicious.

http://schwangau.de/his-mysterious-death-646.html

It wasn't the Nixen that got him, it wasn't he himself, just a few years ago yet more evidence surfaced that he had been shot, not drowned like the government claimed at the time.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-515924.html

Royals who become a liability unfortunately, tend to have artificially shortened lifespans.

BTW- do those lakes and streams in the mountains ever warm up? I remember trying to wade in a pond & creek in the Alps foothills in southern Bavaria in September one year, after they'd had all summer to warm up- and my feet got numb.
    Last edited by AptaMer; 04-08-2015 at 01:16 PM.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    lala- offtopicing
    It's a sad story, especially considering how much money Bavaria makes with tourists from all over the world.
    The parking lot alone would have returned what Ludwig spent with his building

I think he was a dreamer, feeling close to nature and its spirits.
    (Which he obviouly couldn't admit openly in a catholic country.)

Quote Originally Posted by AptaMer View Post
    BTW- do those lakes and streams in the mountains ever warm up? I remember trying to wade in a pond & creek in the Alps foothills in southern Bavaria in September one year, after they'd had all summer to warm up- and my feet got numb.
    Warm-up is relative
    I visited about a dozen foothills lakes two weeks ago, and they looked like this

Name:  alat小.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  226.5 KB

We have a picture of me stumbling through massive piles of snow at the Alp Lake's shores. So much for getting mermaid shots there LOL.

This was in the middle of last summer, which was exceptionally warm:

Name:  v_wall_ufer.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  214.3 KB

You can guess from my attire how warm it was

I jumped in anyway, proof
    Name:  v_wall_swim1.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  76.2 KB

No one else wanted to do shots in costume though, there were all like "no effing way without my dry suit"

The lakes normally range from 12° to 19°C during spring and summer, and rapidly cool again after August.

The lakes normally range from 12° to 19°C during spring and summer, and rapidly cool again after August.
    Aaack. I do have to admire your stamina. Even the lakes here in the Toronto area warm up better than that! I've been waiting until the lakes get up over 22° before going in in recent summers.

Name:  1507815_881083425245996_7336536674389027741_n.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  102.6 KB
    We have a restaurant named Hemmingway's inside the huge flagship Bass Pro Store here in Missouri, and the whole buffet area is themed with mermaids! This is the huge centerpiece- I love it!
    I'm going to Disney World this summer, and I have heard that the fountain from Splash is somewhere at Hollywood Studios! I've been to Disney so many times but never seen it anywhere- does anyone know exactly where its at? I want to be sure to get a picture of me in front of it!

If you should go to the Disney Studios attraction in Orlando, Florida, they have the mermaid fountain on display that Madison had installed in the bedroom in the movie Splash, or at least, they used to.

Here's a photo I got off the internet.
    Name:  splash-fountain.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  509.6 KB

The Splash statue is still there. Just ask a cast member they should be able to help you find it. This is me there last January.
    Attached Images Attached Images