Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 MerNetwork Secret Santa: General Interest & Discussion Thread

2012 MerNetwork Secret Santa: General Interest & Discussion Thread

Hey!
    It's that time of year again!

WHO IS UP FOR ANOTHER MERNETWORK SECRET SANTA?!
    For those of you who have joined the MerNetwork this year, we had our first Secret Santa exchange last year. If it works out again I'd love to have MerNetwork Secret Santa 2012.

So except for one or two mishaps I thought that the Secret Santa exchange worked out great. I'd love to hear your opinions on what could be done better, and if you'd be interested in participating again.

What went wrong last year:
    -One person's gift was completely destroyed in the shipping process and the recipient just got a package of dust, as the gift was handmade.
    -One person forgot about the Secret Santa (oceana) and someone didn't receive a gift.

So the only changes to the rules from this year from the top of my head:

-I'm raising the post count qualifications from last year. We need participants that are dedicated.
    -Don't send fragile things unless you're absolutely sure they are protected.

Here is an overview of this year's rules:

-You can't spend more than $15 on your gift (this includes handmade crafts, but exceptions may be made if an item is worth more than $15 but is second hand - as in the giver had it).
    -If you do spend over $15, don't be upset if you get a gift that cost less.
    -Your gift has to be mailed by December 12th - you must be able to commit to this.
    -You must state if you are comfortable with being partnered with someone with an international address. (PLEASE TAKE SHIPPING TIMES INTO ACCOUNT!)
    -You must be an active user on the forums with at least 20 quality posts (no spam or things like just "lol").
    -Accounts made after November 1 will not be eligible to participate.
    -No food, anything live, dangerous/illegal, or inappropriate (NSFW).
    -Don't send fragile things unless you're absolutely sure they are protected.
    -Your sign-up address does not have to be your own if you have privacy concerns (use a friend’s name and address, etc) – as long as you can still receive your gift.
    -Do not share anyone’s information or real names anywhere.
    -Gifts are mer-related!
    -If you fail at sending a gift even after you've given your word of commitment, your account will be publicly acknowledged as being owned by a jerk.

Privacy rules and disclaimer are the same as last year's.

Official email: mernetworksecretsanta@gmail.com
    You'll be emailing this address for confirmation of sent and received gifts, or if you have any questions/concerns.

Official sign up will be posted in a few weeks, if people are interested and with the OK from the admins.

Here are the threads from last year for reference:
    http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?786-2011-MerNetwork-Secret-Santa-General-Interest-Thread
    http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?948-2011-MerNetwork-Secret-Santa-Registration!

DISCUSS!

Registration is now open!
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0xdmc6MA#gid=0

Discretion and Liability Agreement
    By agreeing to sign up for this event you are agreeing to the following terms:

· All private information of the gift-tee (the person receiving the gift) that will be disclosed (including names, addresses, and photos) will remain private (unshared, un-spammed, and only used for this transaction) unless sole permission from the gift-tee says otherwise.

· If you sign up and don’t send a gift, you will be publicly ostracized and forever known as a person who is unreliable and can’t follow through. Also, people on the forums will generally think of you as a jerk. This is a commitment.

· You cannot hold the organizer responsible for the gift you receive or for any liabilities. This is a community event and I have no personal vested interest or ulterior motive in organizing this activity.

Registration ends on 11:59 pm on Dec 1, 2012 EST (USA).
    Last edited by MerNetwork Secret Santa; 11-14-2012 at 12:17 AM.

So in. Like a crab in a shell.
    "It is your choice to hide in a shell, or to be shrimply fintastic by being yourself"
    www.mermaidharmony.com
    MermaidHarmony@gmail.com Facebook:Mermaid Harmony Twitter: @MermaidHarmony

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    Ohh this looks like fun. I'm in.
    Last edited by spottedcatfish; 11-09-2012 at 01:07 AM.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Elle's Avatar
    Follow Elle On Twitter
    Visit Elle's Youtube Channel
    I'd love to

I love to enter this Secret Santa, but as I live in Belgium, can I enter?

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidFenicia View Post
    I love to enter this Secret Santa, but as I live in Belgium, can I enter?
    If I'm not mistaken, international people can participate in this.

Also, I'm in.

Senior Member Euro Pod Azurin Luna's Avatar
    Add Azurin Luna on Facebook
    I'm also in
    Your imagination is your only limit

I'm in
    *・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MerAnthony's Avatar
    Add MerAnthony on Facebook
    I'm in as well.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    don't know if I can right now, but I would like to
    Last edited by Mermaid Saphira; 11-09-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Changed ma mind ^_^
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I'm interested, but I can't say "yes" right away because I am still trying to secure better employment. When do you need to know by? I loved doing it last year.

I'm in.
    Alveric

For my novel, The Accidental Mermaid, go to http://mermaidsofxanadu.com/
    Coming in 2014: ​Spindrift

This year I'm gainfully employed (yay!... at least part time) so even if I'm some ways away for saving up for a tail, I can definitely take part in the Mernetwork Secret Santa (and I've definitely posted enough by now to qualify as well), so count me in... where do I sign up?

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained! View Post
    so count me in... where do I sign up?
    "Official sign up will be posted in a few weeks, if people are interested and with the OK from the admins."

I don't think you need to do anything yet. I think later on there will be an official sign up.

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Arella's Avatar
    Follow Arella On Twitter Add Arella on Facebook
    Sounds fun very excited

Senior Member Euro Pod
    Im not sure how many international mers would be willing to participate; and for international postage from Switzerland it can get very expensive very quickly... Does it make sense to keep USA / Europe / Australiasia seperate?

Ive no problem to send international; but it will limit some things (unless I can organise something from USA to USA). But it wont be hand wrapped from Switzerland.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Elle's Avatar
    Follow Elle On Twitter
    Visit Elle's Youtube Channel
    our post is cheap(ish) at the moment, they usually hike it up after christmas. I can't speak for any othe Aussie mers. But I know that's what they do where I am.

Registration is now open!
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0xdmc6MA#gid=0

Discretion and Liability Agreement
    By agreeing to sign up for this event you are agreeing to the following terms:

· All private information of the gift-tee (the person receiving the gift) that will be disclosed (including names, addresses, and photos) will remain private (unshared, un-spammed, andonly used for this transaction) unless sole permission from the gift-tee says otherwise.

· If you sign up and don’t send a gift, you will be publicly ostracized and forever known as a person who is unreliable and can’t follow through. Also, people on the forums will generally think of you as a jerk. This is a commitment.

· You cannot hold the organizer responsible for the gift you receive or for any liabilities. This is a community event and I have no personal vested interest or ulterior motive in organizing this activity.