Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: basing my tail off of the idea that merpeople are carnivorous hunters of the deep

I'm really excited to be working on this! I'm a really girly mermaid and this is just so different and so awesome!! It's going to be a real challenge, but I'm so inspired by the idea of a predator mermaid! I can't believe anyone ever gave you a hard time about this design. This is going to be one awesome tail and I'm really looking forward to getting my clay out and sculpting the fluke and extra fins! This is going to be just awesome in silicone!!

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Congrats!!
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    i recently got attacked for the idea on my facebook page :/ I've lost hope in my design T^T
    What do you care what other people's opinions are? F*** them!

As for predatory colors, I immediately thought of the colors of an oil slick on black, but then again, I thought of the color scheme of a blue ringed octopus...Name:  610_ag_blue-ringed-octopus.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  50.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    Amen! Lol

As for predatory colors, I immediately thought of the colors of an oil slick on black, but then again, I thought of the color scheme of a blue ringed octopus...Name:  610_ag_blue-ringed-octopus.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  50.6 KB

^^that would make one awesome tail!

I really want to see how this turns out! I love the ideas of predatory mermaids. I even like the idea of the old legends of them being so beautiful they are deadly. Like luring sailors to their death. It's like the ocean in a way, being so beautiful yet it can be so deadly. But I'm so excited to see how it turns out, good luck!!!
    That awkward moment when someone says mermaids aren't real... And I'm standing right next to them...

<3 I also go by
    Mermaid Myra as that is my business persona

<strike>
    </strike>

Check out my new Instagram page! <3
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidmyraofficial/

Come visit me on FaceBook!
    https://www.facebook.com/mermaidmyra/

Swim by my YouTube channel!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb7...J8Shs1b10Psjrg

~Formerly known as "Mermaid Nerin"~

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    My guess is the OP is still of a younger, impressionable age

I also fail to see why someone would bash the design, because it's quite colourful and pretty.
    Dark and dangerous looking mers with sharp nails and fangs on top are awesome.

I've wanted to make a video of me in a complete snaketail outfit (with snake hair and fangs) for quite some time now, and if I get around to it, I certainly won't care about snippy comments how unmermaidy that is or whatever :P

Her problem was that "i don't understand what is is like to be a mermaid as part of the community and to understand the meaning of being a mermaid"(her words not mine)
    even though I've been part of the community for some time

on another note i am a predatory fish not seen by most
    I don't understand why some people just don't like the idea of a SCARY Mermaid

yay for deep sea creepy fish

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Her problem was that "i don't understand what is is like to be a mermaid as part of the community and to understand the meaning of being a mermaid"(her words not mine)
    well, that's complete bullcarp.
    you can safely ignore that.

And in folklore, there are a LOT more dangerous, man-eating mermaids than nice and friendly ones
    blame Disney! no one seems to read the real stories anymore.

There's not a one-size-fits-all 'meaning of being a mermaid'. Everyone's definition of that is going to be a bit different--And that's a good thing! Disney-style mermaids are all well and good, but no one should want the entire mer-community to be nothing but Ariels. I personally think scary mers are awesome!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    *snorts* Since when is there a deep meaning to being a mermaid? If so, I missed the notice and I guess I should and hide from the Mermaids Who Really Get It. I just like to play dress up and swim around in a tail. This girl is probably in my freshman English class trying to Skype with boys during class and calling her BFF "n*gga". Feel free to Ignore with a capital I.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Wow. XD I can't believe some people have a thing against darker/evil mermaids. My tail is even going that direction a bit, as I'm basing it more off dragons than pretty fishes. Haha.

Can't wait to see yours turn out!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Seavanna View Post
    *snorts* Since when is there a deep meaning to being a mermaid? If so, I missed the notice and I guess I should and hide from the Mermaids Who Really Get It. I just like to play dress up and swim around in a tail. This girl is probably in my freshman English class trying to Skype with boys during class and calling her BFF "n*gga". Feel free to Ignore with a capital I.
    HAHAHA! YOU'RE KILLING ME!

I actually think your 1st picture is VERY womanly,sexy and femme fetalle, Queen of the damned kind of vibe. I LOVE IT! Idont think it is harsh at all! It is not little girlish, more like a mature, sexy woman vibe. The colors and 2nd sketch can be fine tuned some imo, but there is nothing butch or scary about this design at all! I love the 1st sketch! It has all curved lines.The front fins on the 2nd do feel lightly more pointy, sharp/ less fluid in the 2nd. The dorsal is Gorgeous!...very sensual curves.. So the 1st is my favorite.
    Last edited by Mermaid Oshun; 12-14-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Re: basing my tail off of the idea that merpeople are carnivorous hunters of the deep

For a predator I would probably go with darker grey on top (your back when worn) and almost white on the belly or any other dark/light combo like this. This is the scheme that sharks, dolphins and other predators have so they blend into the sea bed from the top and blend into the brighter water surface when viewed from underneath.

My tail is also going to be darker/deep sea styled.
    Last edited by Dee Tal; 12-15-2013 at 08:33 PM.
    I feel the seawater in my veins. I listen to the roar of the sea and it speaks to me like a mothers voice. The tide pulls at my heart. - Night Tide

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    even though I've been part of the community for some time
    That's ridiculous. Being a mermaid is what it means to you, personally. *rolls eyes, and flicks fin* She obviously has no idea what she's talking about.

on another note i am a predatory fish not seen by most
    I don't understand why some people just don't like the idea of a SCARY Mermaid

yay for deep sea creepy fish
    Some of my favorite fish are the deepest deep sea monsters, like the creepy and bizarre angler, or gulper eel, or vampire squid. I may opt for the pretty mermaid look for myself (most of the time), but I think actual mermaids are on the deepest parts of the ocean floor, battling fang-filled beasts for food.
    <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Golden Pearl View Post
    I actually think your 1st picture is VERY womanly,sexy and femme fetalle kind of vibe. I dont think it is harsh at all! It is not little girlish, more like a mature, sexy woman vibe.
    I whole-heartedly second this opinion.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

curves are distracting I am trying to go away from the sexy womanly look
    I like the CREATURE IDEA
    I am no where near human
    Flowy womenly fins are DISTRACTING
    I'm a spiney mermaid i am quick to the point quick to the kill
    Tattered like ive been in fights stuff like that is what my tail is all about