Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: basing my tail off of the idea that merpeople are carnivorous hunters of the deep

Question basing my tail off of the idea that merpeople are carnivorous hunters of the deep

Name:  550302_518278834850418_1605584376_n.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  45.4 KB

with these teeth http://www.dentaldistortions.com/pro...products_id=44
    what kind of color sceme should i go with

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    that looks.....MERMAZING! I love the idea of mers being darker than most picture them as! I can not wait to see this <3
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

For color scheme, I would say to think of what you are portraying.

A hunter of the deep. A fearsome predator with high intimidation. What colors would this creature have in the wild?

They would want to blend into their territory so they could strike hard and fast on their prey, unseen until the last moment which is far too late for the victim. They would not have bright happy vivid colors. They would don shades of darker blues, greens, dirty browns or coppers, and black markings. Maybe they're blending into seaweed, perhaps the ocean floor with beds of corals and hidden mini caves. Or hiding in the rocks waiting for the opportune moment. If any bright colors, I would say "warning" colors such as red and yellow, like the unfriendly coral snake. If I saw all these colors (or some) on a spiny yet frilly mermaid, I would immediately recognize it was a predatory type.

Good luck, it looks like a great design, I hope you show us progress as you build it!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by Koral View Post
    For color scheme, I would say to think of what you are portraying.

A hunter of the deep. A fearsome predator with high intimidation. What colors would this creature have in the wild?

They would want to blend into their territory so they could strike hard and fast on their prey, unseen until the last moment which is far too late for the victim. They would not have bright happy vivid colors. They would don shades of darker blues, greens, dirty browns or coppers, and black markings. Maybe they're blending into seaweed, perhaps the ocean floor with beds of corals and hidden mini caves. Or hiding in the rocks waiting for the opportune moment. If any bright colors, I would say "warning" colors such as red and yellow, like the unfriendly coral snake. If I saw all these colors (or some) on a spiny yet frilly mermaid, I would immediately recognize it was a predatory type.

Good luck, it looks like a great design, I hope you show us progress as you build it!
    Well don't we just have a way with words! You have created such a beautifully eerie image in my head. lol
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Junior Member Pod of The South
    Add Aquarian on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Koral View Post
    I would say "warning" colors such as red and yellow, like the unfriendly coral snake.
    I love this idea! Maybe try a deep purple fade to grey for the tail body, and accent with yellow/red/black for fins/details?

I love the mers who aren't all singing on rocks and combing hair with forks! The design looks wonderful an I wish you good luck! Also, welcome to Mernetwork!
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

hmm i'll color it and see what you guys think and i was thinking off adding barnacles over my tattoos

Name:  533846_518676388143996_1652635951_n.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  71.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow. I love it. Great color choices, really.

I like that.

Yes!!! This is a killer concept. Run with it...errrr...swim with it. You know what I mean.

i recently got attacked for the idea on my facebook page :/ I've lost hope in my design T^T

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    i recently got attacked for the idea on my facebook page :/ I've lost hope in my design T^T
    Aw don't give up hope. Those people just like to stick to what media has showed them, and for mermaids they normally like to put icing on the cake. Just because they don't like how mermaids are originally portrayed, doesn't mean you should give up hope. ;D
    If it were me, I'd say something like 'Mermaids are man eating creatures, don't be mad at me because you pooped out too many sprinkles from watching shows from Disney or something.' lol, not to bash Disney or anything, but just making a general example. XD

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Traveling Merman's Avatar

basing my tail off of the idea that merpeople are carnivorous hunters of the deep

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    I'm gonna give you some advice; "it's not what people do to you, it's what you let them do to you!"

Don't worry what other people think!

Here's my 2p (pence, I'm a Brit after all! Lol) I'd go and look at flukes and colours of predatory fish, sharks, dolphins, orcas, eels, pike, angler fish, look at their colour schemes shapes of their tails - 80% of them are built for speed it all depends on their hunting method and the type of food they eat - if you're mermaid is a man-eater then mabye she might be the type to sit on a rock and lure the sailors in? In that case she would be insanely beautiful/alien looking paler and more virginal in colouring with long beautiful floaty tendrils........ Or again as a man eater is she a more sneak attack mer? In that case beauty would be out of the window and she's be smooth with just a fluke with no extra fins and coloured dark - built for stealth

Anyway I hope this helps! Xx
    Travelling Merman

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Miel's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Miel's Youtube Channel
    Those Fangs are Wicked!

I have considered getting Full sclera contacts for eyes like those, but according to my optician my particular eye-sight malfunction means they wouldn't fit. Plus you cant wear them for too long because they block all oxygen from reaching your eyeball. http://extremesfx.com/black-sclera.html http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxcMVYsnXUs

Instead I am looking at Circle lenses wondering if my pale green eyes can pull them off.http://coseye.net/goods-268.html

first OMG your avatar sea ponies are amazing

and i understand that about contacts :/

Senior Member Pod of The South
    I love it! I think you should go with it!

I've worn that brand of teeth before (though the Lucius ones). They're relatively comfortable and stay in place pretty well if you do the molding right (it took two or three tries for me), but mine broke after only wearing them 3 or 4 times for short periods (just to test them out with my outfit and then the actual breakage happened while I was wearing them for real after maybe an hour). I don't know if I handled them too roughly or bit too hard together with them in or if they're just that fragile, but I just wanted to let you know. You also tend to slur/have a lisp if you talk with them (that may be why they broke), so you may want to be a non-speaking mer if you go with them. And they distort your face some -- they push your mouth out further and it looks a bit odd/inhuman. I can post a photo of it after I get home tonight if you want so you can kind of see what I'm talking about with the distortion. I ended up just wearing the top ones as it made it a bit easier to speak, as I would not make a good quiet anything :P

I was told that denture places (and maybe even your dentist) can make custom ones. I haven't looked into it personally, but my UK friends say it's about 50 pounds or so there. I have a feeling it's a lot more expensive here in the US.

They really arent made for speaking but looking in human is my goal

Well I think this is an AMAZING idea, I love these types of mers! Your design reminds me a lot of the mermaids in Harry Potter Whoever bashed you for this idea is an absolute idiot, and probably jealous of your creativity tbh

Im super stoked as im having this tail made by mermaid jessica