Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Signatures and Restrictions

I just removed images and sent out PMs to 10 people due to them not following the signature restrictions. PLEASE take it upon yourselves to follow the rules. Easy way to check: right click on the image that you're using in your signature, and click "View Image Info" or "Get Info" (or some such depending on your operating system). It will list the information, including the dimensions in pixels. First number is length, second is width. If the first number is greater than 500 and/or the second number is greater than 175, then the image is too large and needs to be resized if you want to continue using it.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Oops. just saw this thread. Took off my second (moving) profile pic. I totally understand where you're coming from on this, don't want to make your job harder

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Bumping this again- please follow the signature image restrictions! I'm seeing a lot of oversized images. It does take time out of my day to remove the images and PM the user about it, so please make my job easier and follow the rules from the get go

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    Can I just add my two cents and say that lots and lots of text in signatures is just as bad (if not worse) than lots of images.
    I tend to browse the forums on my phone a lot, and on such a small screen those ten lines of text become 25 and so the signature is several times larger than the actual post.

I agree! The rule say that it needs to be six lines or under, which is plenty! I don't have any way to check signatures, I just notice them as I'm browsing through the forum, so I tend to not catch them all.

I did want to put in- you guys can help! If you see a signature with too big of pictures or too many lines of text, report it. Just use the report button on the bottom of any of their posts (the little ⚠ button at the bottom of each post) and put for the reason you're reporting "Isn't following signature restrictions" or "Signature is too long", "Signature image is too large", ect. Would help me out a lot If you feel extra generous you could post a visitor message to that person's profile saying they need to change their signature to fit the signature restrictions and link to this thread so maybe they'll do it and I don't have to

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Bumping this because we're having a lot of people use oversized images again, especially gifs. Remember, the signature picture can't be any larger than 175 pixles by 550 pixles! There's a link in the original post to a site that will crop and scale gif images.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Can't the signature uploading page be modified so only appropriately sized images will be processed?

Similarly to the rest of the forum, if you upload a too large picture it will say, "image is too large, it can only be so and so big"?

When I uploaded my sig, I didn't see the size restrictions anywhere, so I'm not surprised many people get it wrong when they're not prompted during upload.

I've been looking into add ons to do just that, as this is starting to drive me up the wall, but all of them are very outdated and would only create more problems. :/ I'm not giving up on it just yet, but I'm not sure I'll be able to find a free mod that will work with our version of the forum software.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Whoops sorry only just saw this and have fixed mine now.

Bumping cause I added info on how to make and enable signatures on the forum and tapatalk, and also as a reminder for people to check their signatures to make sure they're following the signature rules

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Thanks. I will see if I can find a friend who will help me downsize my photos.
    *fishy kisses*

Question: How does image ownership apply to signatures? I know a lot of people use photos or video clips of themselves or drawings they or another mer made for them, but I've also occasionally seen .gifs from mermaid movies and other images that look like they were found via Google search. Is there anything that isn't allowed or any rules about crediting for signatures?

Fancy a cup of mermaid tea?

Quote Originally Posted by Ciriun View Post
    Question: How does image ownership apply to signatures? I know a lot of people use photos or video clips of themselves or drawings they or another mer made for them, but I've also occasionally seen .gifs from mermaid movies and other images that look like they were found via Google search. Is there anything that isn't allowed or any rules about crediting for signatures?
    There's no written down rule, but speaking as an Admin I'd say that gifs from TV shows/movies are fine. Gifs of OTHER mers however, is debatable. If I had to make a rule, I'd say no gifs of other mermaids in the community. That could get very confusing.

We DO have a rule about citing the source for all photos/pictures that don't belong to you or that you didn't get specific permission to use. It's in the offical rules. So if you found it elsewhere, please link back to the creator/source- either by making the image itself a link, or using a hyperlink somewhere in the signature. After all it's only right and proper to credit someone for their work! I know mermaid are very passionate about people giving credit for their photos if someone else uses them, the same should extend to artists as well

If you don't know who the artist/photographer/creator is, a reverse google image search typically can lead you very quickly to them. I hope this answers your question!

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Yup, that clears it up. Thanks for the explanation!

Fancy a cup of mermaid tea?

Heyyy...this is an old thread but the only one I found. I've done a search but haven't come up with anything so please direct to the answer if it's out there and I've missed it because of using the wrong terms or something.

I'd like to put a small image in my signature but underneath the editing box it says I don't have permission for images or .gifs. I'm used to forums where you have to meet a certain number of posts before being granted image permission, but I didn't see that requirement anywhere and I have seen people with .gifs and fewer posts than myself. So I'm lost! Someone please tell me what I should be doing here, thanks...
    Freshwater tropical mermaid... I bottle rainbows!

Blog · Facebook · Instagram @PrincesslyPolished · Webshop