Thread: Does Mike still male latex tails?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Does Mike still male latex tails?

So, while I was browsing through his facebook page I saw he mentioned nothing about a latex tail under the product information! Any body know?

I was reading the comments on his pictures on his facebook page and I think he said that latex doesn't capture the detail silicone does so he isn't using it anymore. I'm not sure but I don't think he is...
    Formerly known as "kimmie".

I think I remember him saying 2 summers ago (when I was ready to buy a new tail!) that he was stopping. Latex and silicone can't even cure around each other.

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I think I remember him saying 2 summers ago (when I was ready to buy a new tail!) that he was stopping. Latex and silicone can't even cure around each other.
    wow, really? why??

EDIT: i meant about the curing, not why he isnt selling latex anymore. when i re-read my post, it seemed a bit confusing... lol.

the offgassing of the materials mess with each other

Junior Member Pod of Oceania hay_31's Avatar
    You can let you latex cure and dry though and put silicon over it. I am thinking of doing that with my tail. There are also different types of silicon and Latex.

silicone doesn't usually bond to latex, it ends up peeling and looking gross. At least in my experience, and I think several others on here who have tried

He doesn't, sadly. He announced it a while ago. He made his "last ever latex tail" a few months back, only becuase she was a "very special customer". From what I've heard latex in a huge pain in the fin for a lot of reasons. I know he was having issues with fitting and having to remake tails in silicone for free. Plus it takes forever to cure, and since he lives in Michigan where it's cold frequently it makes it even longer to cure AND if latex freezes before curing it becomes useless. So he can't even get it shipped safely to him a good part of the year. He said with how much materials he had the silicone would not even cure in the same room as the latex. This actually can happen in shops like that. Silicone and latex do NOT work well together at all, and latex and latex based products can keep silicone from curing. People have tried putting silicone directly on neoprene (no nylon backing) or rubber and it just doesn't set up. So yeah, huge pain in the fin. I don't blame him for wanting to drop it. Honestly it seems with tail makers that once they go to silicone, they never want to go back!

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Damn! Seems like I'm gonna have to save up a WHOLE LOT MORE, but I'll get there (someday).

That's what I thought lol
    Formerly known as "kimmie".

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Star's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Star On Twitter Add Mermaid Star on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Star's Youtube Channel
    As someone who has made a Latex tail for her self. It really is a pain in the butt to size.

Follow me on facebook!

Mermaid:
    Mermaid Star

Troup:
    Sea Star Studios

Performer:
    Alexie Star

Damn.. wish I knew how those lucky people got silicone tails from latex botches.... he never offered that to me after my tail didn't fit

:'( Great.. Now I have to save even more!!!

Junior Member Pod of Oceania

Follow Mirabelle le Mergirl on Tumblr
    Good lord! I'm in the process of making a tail, and trust me, it literally screws everything up if you mix the two!