Thread: HOW CAN I DO THIS??? :D

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel

HOW CAN I DO THIS??? :D

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-12-02 at 4.45.36 PM.png
Views: 279
Size:  109.1 KB

See how the fluke is like scalloped? do you think I could make the ends that way on my tail? could I make little extensions off my tail like this? I kindof like the idea of it billowing like a sail... idk how its gonna look, but i have always liked the animated tails that look like fish tails with ribbing and a membrane-type fin across it. Im not sure if this idea would actually work.. maybe i could use zip ties? has anyone tried this?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Mermaid Wesley; 12-02-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Can you specify what material you are using for your tail please? Generally zip ties are good for either light weight fabrics (like dorsals made from a lightweight sheer fabric) or if it's not supporting but giving shape (like zip ties imbedded in latex or silicone). For a fluke I'd go vinyl tubes or PVC piping instead. Vinyl can be very flexable or very stiff depending on what you choose, and come in a lot of sizes. The PVC would be much more rigid. For both you may want to start looking around 1/4'' depending on the look you're going for.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

thanks for the tips! im using spandex for my tail. Its my first one I am just playing around with the idea... ill probably have to test it out

I know that it might be expensive, but possibly look for some boning (the stuff that people make corosets with). I know that when my mom made me a coroset i noticed that the boning would make the bottom of the top look like it was how you want the bottom of your tail to be. But I would go for Winged's idea first. See if that works, then if it doesn't try the boning. Most mers on here love the way the zipties work

Oh yeah! I hadnt thought if that! Thanks!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Coradion's Avatar

Visit Coradion's Youtube Channel
    If you want to make it serrate then you can either make silicone in that shape with mold materials or you can add plastic or fiberglass rids to your monofin to act as the bones in the caudal fin. Then pour silicone caulk over the whole thing and cut off the excess in the shape you want, a scalpel or exacto knife would probably do it.

Member Pod of The South Marilla's Avatar
    Thanks for posting Hopefully! I am trying a fluke similar to this but a bit bigger with a male betta in mind. I had vinyl tubing in mind as well Wingèd. How big do you think I could go before the drag is too much? Just wondering. Thanks!

Ooh, drag is a tricky thing, especially with fabric tails. I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you there. It may just be a thing of trial and error.

Also for anyone interested in zip ties, if you go to a big hardware/home improvement store and look in the ziptie section they sell really thick and really long ones. Here's a comparison between a regular and thick one.

Name:  DDBBD1C8-C7CF-4F02-94F2-D3D81AEACE7E-1284-0000012FBF293016.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  215.5 KB

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Member Pod of The South Marilla's Avatar
    Neat zip ties! I will certainly be incoporating them, I have some cool ideas too. I will try to post pics on this thread, granted I remember. :P
    User formerly known as "Errngwir".

At night I sit and dream of a cozy sandstone cave on the shore of the Mediterranean Sea, of all the places in the world that I've been, it is there I wish to be...

I'm glad I am a woman who once danced naked in the Mediterranean Sea at midnight.
    ~Mercedes McCambridge