Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Mertailor

The Mertailor

My name is Alexandria LaNier I am a professional award winning costume designer.
    On occasion I work with fellow specialty costume artists. I recently purchased a
    mermaid tail from The Mertailor and I’m quite happy to share my experience.
    First off I want to make a special note that whenever I work
    with fellow artists I always show them complete respect for their art and
    craft. There are so few artists that have the natural gifted talent to create these masterpieces and I do
    sincerely appreciate the opportunity to be able to work with them. I should
    also tell you that I have extremely high standards when purchasing
    costumes. I will not make or purchase
    cheap product. Now onto the
    tail... I paid $2,000 for my Silicone Mermaid Tail and have to say at first sight my immediate response was that I
    practically stole it from The Mertailor. In my professional opinion the quality of my tail is superb in every way
    and should be sold for $7,000 to 10,000. Why? First off, the overall design
    is exactly what you would expect a mermaid tail to look like. The blending of colors infused into the tail
    create such a magnificent realistic appearance one would almost believe it is
    the real thing. The durability is evident by simply handling the product. This tail will without a doubt hold up to the most rigorous of
    situations which is exactly what I would expect. I purchased my tail to fit several different
    body styles and I have no doubt that it will fit every one of them like a glove.

What I have experienced from other mermaid tail artists in
    the past was never this good. Not even close. I would happily refer anyone to
    the The MerTailor and be completely confident that they will be overjoyed with
    their finished product.

Blessings!
    Alexandria LaNier

Oooo :o
    Nice review, I'm happy for you that it turned out to be a good tail~
    The pictures he has of the silicone tails on his website are very stunning, especially the one with the green, gold, and blue coloring.
    I just have a quick question, what do you mean by "I purchased my tail to fit several different body styles?"
    I thought the silicone tails were only made to fit one body and that you had to go in personally to get your legs cast in a mold
    so the tail can fit perfectly? Sorry, I just don't understand the whole "full silicone" tails. Especially since he has a measurement
    chart set up on his order form for a pure silicone tail.

How long did it take him to make it for you? Did you ever go in for a live-cast of your legs?
    And do you have any pictures??? <333 :')
    Sorry to bombard you with questions xD
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Senior Member Pod of Texas MermaidSaku's Avatar
    silicone streches quite a bit Kanti. You can make it thin to move and shape over what you like or make it really thick so that it's tight and only fits you. Which is why plastic surgeons can make implants hard or soft.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Im happy you had a good experience. We always appreciate as many details as possible with reviews as well as photos if you have them- it helps other people who are planning on buying and are scoping out reviews to have as much info and visual as possible. Love to see you in your new tail, and welcome to the forums. Make sure you post an introduction thread too!

What other tail makers have you purchased from before, if I may ask?
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Glad it worked out for you do you have any pictures I'd love to see ^-^
    There lays a lovely maiden combing her long hair

I think I should give you a good example of the tails I have worked with in the past from other tail tailors. I'm not going to mention names, but I will point out a few things to look for now that I have had experience with this type of costume. First off the side slit or slit in the tail is really a pain because no matter what the tail will need to be Photoshopped. Don't go cheap! You get what you pay for. Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again. So, yes, go for the highest quality possible. I purchased a fabric tail from another tail tailor years ago and found it to be nothing like what I had imagined. We do tend to fantasize when purchasing costumes, but this is really the one time that we need to take the fantasy goggles off and take a really good look at the product we are about to invest in. After being a photographer for almost 10 years now working with costumes I can pretty much find any flaws in a costume right away. The reason is, if I don't find the flaws right away they will show up in the photographs and I will have to spend time editing them in Photoshop. As much as I love Photoshop, I would way rather spend the time turning a photograph into art then hours cleaning up mistakes on a costume. So, once again, go for the highest quality it's always better in the long run.

How it fits:
    One of the great things about the Mertailor is the designer, Erik, actually swims in his tails, so he does know how they should fit and how they look best. He's been making tails for some time now and has made them for many professional productions. This, I'm sure many of you are aware of, but probably don't realize he's making them for all kinds of body types too. Many productions have to switch performers, so the tails cannot be made to fit just one person. There has to be a universal size. Not only for production, but for photography, otherwise photographers and production companies would have to buy several different costumes and that's not going to happen. So, someone like me would come in and request a universal size. I requested a tail to fit models anywhere from 5'4 on up to 5'8, I typically don't use models taller because of wardrobe sizing. Of course Erik would be best at explaining his product to you so feel free to send an email with further questions.

Turn around time: This is really very important subject and I'm glad you asked about it. Like I said earlier, I do work with other costume designers. I have to tell you right out of the gate, quality costumes take time to make. This is the one time you’re going to just have to be patient and allow a good amount of time for your product to be made. I know it's hard and you’re excited, but you’re going to have to bite the bullet and wait it out. Don't call or send nasty emails. It's not going to get you anything but a refund. Don't slander the designer all over the internet because you failed to do your homework and you’re impatient. All professionals in the industry know that quality workmanship takes time. When I decide to have a costume made I usually order it four to six months in advance. I don't know what it is about professional costumers, but it seems every single artist that I work with runs on the same schedule. If you can get it quicker consider yourself lucky. In a perfect world there would be professional costume designers on every corner. Unfortunately they are specialized and we are extremely lucky to even have them available, so please don't scare them away by being rude or disrespectful. Remember this is not personal; this is a business transaction, so remember to conduct yourself professionally when dealing with these artists.

Final note: In order to protect my work from copyright infringement I don't share images freely on the internet. You can find my work at www.AlexandriaLaNier.net and flickr.com
    I specialize in all types of fantasy from fairies, Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, witches, (Mermaids), and just about anything that captures my heart. Of course I do understand that every good fairytale has a tragedy or drama and without it there would be no story. Just please remember that this is really about having fun. Please help keep the spirit of what Fantasy is alive by being united.

Have a beautiful day under the sea!
    Alexandria LaNier

Ohhh. That's interesting. I didn't know that you could have a silicone tail fit differently for several models. That's quite useful.
    I suppose it wouldn't be as good to swim in, if you have it at that "universal" thing, though, because it wouldn't grab you tight
    enough to prevent from falling off? I assume since you're using it for photoshoots, it doesn't really matter.

Also, I did look through you're entire website and flickr and I couldn't find a single photo of the tail. The only thing I found close
    was "Fantasia" where a mermaid seems to be sleeping on the beach, but her tail is not in the shot. You should post the link
    to the flickr images on the forum, that way we have to visit your website, therefore, it won't void your copyright :')
    Don't mean to pry or anything, I just really love your photography~ It looks stunning, I would love to see your mermaid shoot~

As for the time it took, no offense, but it seems like you're accusing people of being impatient when their tails don't come in
    on time. I completely agree, great works take time, and if you've been given an estimate of how long it will take then
    you should be patient, but the problem is, the mertailor's website says his tails will be ready in 4-6 weeks (even on his silicone
    tails), so if someone posts that, I assume they're going to honor it, anything else is false advertizing and the businessman
    should very well know that. It's not people "not doing their homework" it's people being TOLD by the person they're ordering
    from that they're going to get the tail in 4-6 weeks and then not getting it for 4 months. I'd say that's definitely not a case of
    "being impatient" or "not doing you're homework" :'P
    Another thing is, it's not slandering, it's stating a fact. When I do an amazon review and my item said it would take 3 weeks to
    get here and it takes 3 MONTHS, then I give it a lower rating because of that and explain to anyone else in the reviews that
    it is being falsely advertized and the time it takes to get there is very wrong.

I can only hope you don't think of me as rude, but honestly, from the way you automatically assumed that people complain
    or slander the mertailor yet it's THEIR fault for "not doing their homework" is a VERY bold statement. It's also rude.
    You're accusing people you don't even know of being impatient or ignorant on the topic of ordering tails.
    Unless you work very closely with the mertailor, which from your review it seems the opposite, then I don't know why you
    would say something like that. It seems very strange to write a review for other customers about a product and then bashing
    the other customers for being impatient. I would only see this behavior happening if you were his assistant or the mertailor
    himself. Other than that, I'm just going to assume that you haven't read very many reviews on his tails. The mertailor review
    on this forum has a few incidents of people ordering tails and not getting anything close to what they paid for after it taking
    MONTHS. I think that's enough reason to write a bad review or complain.

Like I said, I hope you take no offense, but I can't take this review too seriously. It's too biased.
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Dearest Kanti, I don't work for anyone but myself. I can see that you’re trying desperately to turn my words around, but it is what it is. You can attack him all you want no professional is going to take you seriously ever. I know you would love to scare him out of town and stop him from making tails. It's a shame you have so much anger and hatred in your heart. It's also a shame that you are trying to ruin it for so many others. I'm going to consider the source here. You’re a cyber-bully and not a good person. Simply put, the Mertailor makes great tails. I am an award winning costume designer that has been in the industry for almost 10 years. I am also a satisfied customer. And finally, I can't stand to see someone that loves what they do get bullied like this. And above all YOU should not be attacking the Mertailor's customers. I won't say any more on the subject, but you are treading in some seriously dangerous waters if you continue because he will have every opportunity to take you to court. Do not contact me again on the subject as there is nothing more to say.

When did I say I wanted mertailor to stop making tails?
    When did I say people shouldn't order from him?
    When did I say the mertailor was a bad person?
    When did I want to run him out of town?

I see none of that in my previous post, because I never said any of it.
    Ohhh it seems you're the professional when it comes to "turning things around" or putting words in my mouth :')

Also, how come you are taking it so personally? Didn't you just say that "Remember this is not personal; this is a business transaction, so remember to conduct yourself professionally when dealing with these artists." I was being quite professional about it. You are the one who turned around and is whining like a child now. I was merely stating that your review was just not very helpful because you were attacking people you didn't even know.

All I ever said was your review wasn't very good. I said the mertailor needs to be professional when it comes to making his tails on the time HE promises them. When I see a review I could care less about the artist as a person. The mertailor could be the nicest guy I ever meet or a huge jerk, it doesn't matter, I only care for the quality of his tails. And if so many people have shown bad reviews and stated he takes forever to finish/make them, then I'd have to go with what they say. You claim it's a great tail but I see no pictures of it.

And you seem to be getting very offended towards a review of a tail that isn't even yours. Suspicious....
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

the way to convince us the mertailor makes a great product is not to come in here and attack people who ask you questions. Im the biggest mertailor critic out there for good reason, and I'm quite happy to step back when someone else has had a good experience and celebrate with them. Because at the end of the day I want people to be able to live their mermaid/merman dream... and if they're able to do that with Eric and be happy- then I am happy for them. Despite seriously not respecting the guy for my own personal reasons, when someone like you comes in with a positive experience I'm not going to sit here and try to convince you otherwise. You're happy, I'm happy for you. That being said, no one here is twisting your words around and your tone is not appreciated. Kanti has simply questions for you and if you didnt all ready realize we have 2 guides for writing reviews we ask people to follow. The rules are here: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...8-Review-Rules and a guide to reviews are here: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...write-a-review

You've come in here very defensive from your first post, you havent even bothered to introduce yourself properly or get involved anywhere else in the forum. While Kanti wasnt around on meryuku when similar things were going on, I was, and I know Eric loved to use multiple accounts to post things about himself or get others to do just that. I'm not accusing you of that- but hopefully it'll explain why some people may be a little weary of your words considering some of the phrasing you're using and lack of activity anywhere else. I've seen Eric say exact word for word sentences you're saying, and make the exact same consistent spelling errors as well. Not an accusation, just a point... I'm even wondering if he's simply posing as you at this point... Calling someone a cyberbully? Really? Because they asked you questions you didn't like? Please. If you think that, then this is certainly not the right place for you.

Kanti's questions are valid, and instead of answering them, you're twisting things around and attacking her, that's not very fair for someone who is simply interested in learning more about your experience and it's very clear to everyone reading. Mertailor has a bad reputation on this forum- not just because he's wronged so many customers and caused a lot of drama, but because on our last forum he went as far as trying to have posts and threads removed to censor people. Perhaps you all ready know this and assume we wont give someone a chance to be happy about their tail in the forum, but as I all ready explained we're not like that he's just sort of a touchy subject with us all.

Now then, as far as your review... it's a bunch of praise. Which is fine. You dont have to be critical or negative, but a good reviews has the logistics like the questions Kanti has asked (if you looked at her activity you'd see she's been posting a lot trying to understand how silicone works) and photos.

The fact is, sizing has been a huge issue with Eric, so if you've had a good experience people need to know that to know he's getting better. Timing has been a huge issue with Eric- he promises things by a certain date and never follows through unless you're a celebrity it seems, so if you got your tail on time people need to know that- oh dragonskin takes so little time to dry I cant see why it takes 4-6 weeks. If your tail is amazingly beautiful, careful craftsmenship and everything you say then SHOW US PHOTOS because people need to see! People need to actually see these amazing tails and that people are getting what they want. if you truly believe in Eric and want to support him, I believe this is the best thing you can do for his business.

That being said, posting a photo here does not void copyright when done correctly. I have a whole thread about that too as someone who has also worked professionally in the modelling and photography industry for 10 years. I'm well aware of copyright.

The thing about this post, is I think it's 1 of 2 things going on. Either, this is Eric pretending to be someone either with or without permission to try and create some positive buzz (and yes, I know he does it, he's personally asked me to create positive buzz for him back on the old forum so this isnt some random cyber bully dream!) or you're someone who is relatively happy with his work and has only heard his one side of the story so you come in all defensive expecting that we wont be happy for you because you got the tail you wanted. You're telling us to email the guy if we have questions... and we're supposed to think you're just some random client who happens to like his work???

Finally, as a professional who also works in the youth at risk field please learn what cyberbullying actually is and perhaps consider your own actions. Here's a helpful link: http://www.stopcyberbullying.org/wha...g_exactly.html

I have no problem being happy for you if you got the tail you want and celebrating a new mer joining the community. However, I wont sit here while you bash the crap out of someone for asking you reasonable questions that you still havent answered despite all your praise and love for your tail and the artist.

edit: Im sorry, I just went back and looked through some of my old communications with Eric, seriously buddy, what are you doing? You think this is going to help you? it only makes things worse!!! If you want happy go lucky reviews, deliver on your products! Im sure Claudio will be thrilled to write you a new happy nice review when he receives his tail. You give us way too much power over you. I can even tell you wrote your posts in a doc first then copied and pasted! I mean really, should I get out the screen capping tool and point out how many of these sentences you've said on facebook all ready and with all your spelling errors??? who writes a review anyway about a product they havent even tried out yet. IP blockers, proxy... we're not dumb
    but you are treading in some seriously dangerous waters if you continue because he will have every opportunity to take you to court. Do not contact me again on the subject as there is nothing more to say.
    where have I read this exact sentence before? Oh hmm let me think. Are you going to take legal action against the forum Eric? Shall I explain to you yet again the difference between slander and facts? I dont know where you find all the time for this if you're spending all your time making tails. At least learn to troll right if you're going to do it. :\ I guess it's just one more thing to add to the ever growing list of mertilor drama. Sweety, you know identity theft is illegal right? So is IP fishing... No reviewer would suggest something be more expensive, only the tail maker does that, and no person would join the community who obviously has so much disdain for it and holds themselves so much higher than everyone else because they are a "professional".
    Last edited by AniaR; 08-09-2011 at 06:00 PM.

For all those interested, here's a helpful internet piece about the differences between slander and free speech, and where each one applies:
    http://www.bmartin.cc/dissent/documents/defamation.html

I'd like to quote this part specifically:
    If someone sues you because you made a defamatory statement, you can defend your speech or writing on various grounds. There are three main types of defence:
    * what you said was true;
    * you had a duty to provide information;
    * you were expressing an opinion.
    For example:
    * You can defend yourself on the grounds that what you said is true.
    * If you have a duty to make a statement, you may be protected under the defence of "qualified privilege." For example, if you are a teacher and make a comment about a student to the student's parents -- for example, that the student has been naughty -- a defamation action can only succeed if they can prove you were malicious. You are not protected if you comment about the student in the media.
    * If you are expressing an opinion, for example on a film or restaurant, then you may be protected by the defence of "comment" or "fair comment," if the facts in your statement were reasonably accurate.
    * There is an extra defence if you are a parliamentarian and speak under parliamentary privilege, in which case your speech is protected by "absolute privilege," which is a complete defence in law. The same defence applies to anything you say in court.

Anyone who has concerns about slander charges can follow the advice written in this website under "Avoid Defamation" these points are also highlighted in the review tips thread I made. Also, check out the parts entitled "Call the bluff" and "use publicity"

Here's another quote about truth

The common law traditionally presumed that a statement was false once a plaintiff proved that the statement was defamatory. Under modern law, a plaintiff who is a public official or public figure must prove falsity as a prerequisite for recovery. Some states have likewise now provided that falsity is an element of defamation that any plaintiff must prove in order to recover. Where this is not a requirement, truth serves as an affirmative defence to an action for libel or slander.

A statement does not need to be literally true in order for this defence to be effective. Courts require that the statement is substantially true in order for the defence to apply. This means that even if the defendant states some facts that are false, if the “gist” or “sting” of the communication is substantially true, then the defendant can rely on the defence.
    from http://libelandslander.uslegal.com/defenses/truth/

Go and google everything you can on libel, and slander, and defamation, you will see "truth" is the absolute defence.

So long as what you're saying here on the forum is the truth and you can prove it you have no worry of slander or defamation charges from the mertailor. When it comes to reviews, fair use also applies.

Mertailor needs to take some business courses, hire a PR person, and get a full time legal consultant. He can be charged with uttering threats at this rate. And as Orcamatt pointed out, should probably get familiar with the Streisand Effect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect
    Last edited by AniaR; 08-09-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Senior Member Pod of Texas MermaidSaku's Avatar
    I'm definitely with you on that one Raina, Kanti was only asking questions. Honestly Alexandria, If you got your tail and everything thing went fine that is wonderful. Please post pictures! I have been pondering who to buy a tail from, but since i can't get extra fins on a Mertailor tail. I have been looking hard for some where else to purchase or have one made. As for what is going on here. I have to admit that bashing people you don't know is sorta messed up when you don't know where they are coming from . I really think you should at least read into the forum a bit more or atleast get involved so you will understand Kanti and Raina a bit more. Although you are saying you got a great tail your being quite defensive and personal about it.I think your review would be more helpful for others if you posted pictures.
    Last edited by MermaidSaku; 08-09-2011 at 07:58 PM.

A good way to clear up the confusion would be to email the website and ask her (politely) about her mertailor tail.

By the way, what color is your tail? I might have accidentally skipped the line, but I didn't see what color it was. I love hearing about other people's tails, as I haven't yet made my own.

if Eric asked her if he could post it under her name, it wouldnt matter. But Eric was on mer yuku before posting photos of "himself (posing as a girl) in a tail and it was really just a random shot without a face. Im pretty sure this is him getting someone's permission to let him do that.

But sure, I'd love to see this tail.

Well said AniaR , Kanti was ask valid question and Alexandria twisted them and attacked her although I was not on the old forum I did read many reviews and people have repeated what they said on the old forum
    There lays a lovely maiden combing her long hair

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Star's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Star On Twitter Add Mermaid Star on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Star's Youtube Channel
    I sent a message to Alexandria on Facebook. I am waiting for a reply. I hope to have an answer soon. But I am with you Raina, this sounds just like Eric and is far too emotionally invested in this review than any normal customer would be. Very curious indeed. I will keep yall updated on what I hear back

Also if someone where to purchase a tail for someone that was 5'8 (and fit them properly) and put it on someone who is 5'4 the tail would come up to their breasts. So it would either be too big for the shorter person or too short for someone taller. (like in mine and Linda's photos where our butts are coming out).

Perhaps the people she worked with were all of the same height, like how professional models are generally very, very tall and of similar build?

She said she purchased it for models from 5'4-5'8