Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tail Travel

Tail Travel

Hey so I know that this was a topic on the old forum (and I guess I can archive it here later) but with the WMA's nearby I figured I could give some pointers on travelling with your tails. I just flew 10,000+ miles with my fin, so I thought I'd be qualified to talk about it.

In the past I've used tarp bags to check-in my fins (and when I had a smaller monofin I just packed it normally in my suitcase), and they worked fine, but I personally thought they were way too big.

So this time I tried this:

It's just heavy duty wrapping paper and string! The paper is strong enough that I can reuse the same paper all the time even if tape tears it a bit; I just have to re-wrap it or tape over those parts. It works awesome and the airlines even let me bring it on board as a carry on. I had a little trouble with checking in and customs in San Francisco, but the people at the counter weren't professional at all and decided that insulting my mother would be a good use of their time instead of, you know, doing their job (I really do not like flying American Airlines). That's another story though.

In any case, here's the other side:

Here's how big it is:

And here's how to carry it:

Last edited by Spindrift; 08-09-2011 at 08:50 PM.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of The South
    Brilliant! I'm assuming the airlines allowed you to check it eventually, yes? Was there any sort of fee for the size of it? I've been wondering how people take their fins across the country with them, and this looks like a great solution.

Facebook: Mermaid Moonflower 月 花
    *The user formerly known as FlowerBite*

That's the best part! I got to hand carry it the entire way, so I didn't have to worry about it being crushed or handled roughly. No fees or anything (but I'm not going to vouch that every airline will do that). Never had to check it in, although I have checked it in for other flights before. I suppose that if someone wanted more protection they could sandwich their tails between two cardboard/wood/fiberglass pieces or wrap them in towels/newspapers to pad it up, but mine were just wrapped once and were fine. I travel a lot and was originally looking into getting a real portfolio for it, but I like this option a little more (for now).

Pod of The South
    Where did you store it while on the plane? And did you have other carry on luggage?

Facebook: Mermaid Moonflower 月 花
    *The user formerly known as FlowerBite*

I had another carry-on with me and that was my backpack. I also had checked in luggage from an international flight, but flying domestic from San Francisco to Los Angeles also worked out. I just told everyone that it was a fragile piece of sports equipment. When boarding I just explained what I needed to the flight attendants and they'd store it in the cabin somewhere for me. I would then get it back at the end of the flight. One flight gave me two coat hangers to hang it among all the suits in the first class section, so the strings came in really handy for that.

I would suggest asking when you check-in though just to be sure. Some airlines might give you a sticker or tag that says it is allowed to board as a hand-carry so it is always better to ask in this scenario.

I'm testing out my new monofin bag right now on my international flight. I'll post pics and stuff about it later if it works out and people are interested. It is so far pretty awesome though. Also, the pilot just announced that we'll be flying over the north pole so let me know if you guys have any holiday wishes or messages that you'd like to pass on

Conclusion: This bag works awesome. It's backpack straps and shoulder strap was really easy to use. I can also probably fit 3 tails in there, at least. And I was allowed to bring it as a carry-on instead of checking it in. I'll probably embroider and customize my own designs onto it later, too. It looks easy enough to sew into.

Name:  2011-12-13_12-10-20_355.gif
Views: 1746
Size:  75.4 KB

Name:  2011-12-13_12-11-27_369.gif
Views: 1525
Size:  83.2 KB

That monogin bag looks amazing! Where did you get it?

~ Facebook ~ Youtube ~ Model Mayhem

Need a logo? Website? Business Card? Or anything else?
    "You are anything but ordinary, why look it?" E-mail or message me.

Here's the site that was printed on the bag. Perhaps from there?
    http://finswimworld.com/

Edit: Found it! The bag is $35 Here.

Yay! Props to you MermaidPandorah!
    I really like the bag. You can fit tops and jewelry and whatever else in the zippered pocket as well, so it's really handy.

Question Transport

I'm visiting the cape this summer (per usual), and I was wondering what the best way to transport my tail was? It's realistic, and I have heard a lot about special bags, but I don't know where to find them.
    Instagram: @harrietmedmonds
    Twitter: @babsannee

"Immortality is simply ubiquity in time." - Herman Melville
    "Be the flame, not the moth." - Giacomo Casanova

If you want a professional bag jst look up "monofin bags" online. Mine took a month to arrive though.

You can also buy an artist's portfolio (you might need an oversized one depending on your tail's size), or if you need a really quick way to transport it you can see what I did for my first plane trip in my album. I used quality wrapping paper and packing string.
    Last edited by Spindrift; 03-18-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Ok, thanks!

mine was too big for regular luggage, I put it in a box, flew fine!

Nice! Yeah, when I first ordered it, I was thinking maybe just this big duffel I have. I had NO idea the fluke would be so huge!!

Tail Transportation

I was wondering how other mers transport their tails! Fabric, silicone, latex, whatever else one uses, all of them!

I, personally, have only a fabric tail with a child's monofin in it, but I still find it awkward and a pain to stick in bags and am scared of snapping the fin when I pack it for plane trips. Not to mention I've now poked holes in some of my luggage from trying to stick it in a carry-on (got some great looks from the guy running the luggage scanner).
    I know some of the more realistic tails weigh a lot as well, so...

How do you transport your tail?

Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar
    I know some people use artist portfolio bags. They're flat and long so they can hold a tail without crushing the monofin.

My silicone tail is way too huge for any artist portfolio bag Ive ever seen or looked up online. When I fly I have to ship it in a box (flat screen TV box) and right now my step grandma is helping me make a bag for it. You can get art canvas bags in a variety of sizes but they arent as durable and dont have straps