Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew's Tail Making Journey

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Dr. SeaWeed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Marla View Post
    Those are pretty awesome just by themselves!
    Thanks Marla

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Beautiful Scales! Its really detailed and pearl like, LOVE IT!!!

Wow those look gorgeous. The shape has a dynamic without having to put any other colors <3
    Mermaid Jewel

This is going to look really great when it's finished~~~
    Kallan

@Scarlet,Neotail,Marla,jewel, and kallan

Thanks a lot guys hard at work here and im sorry I havnt had any updates for a while, I should have some more to show next week though.

Threw this video together to show a sheet of scales being taken out of the mold:

you should probably mute the sound, I tried to do an audio swapout but it hasnt worked yet.

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Star's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Star On Twitter Add Mermaid Star on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Star's Youtube Channel
    What material are you using for your mother mold? I am planning on using the ultracal-30 that is sitting in my back room right now but I am a little nervous about using it as I have not used it before and requires some exact measuring by weight. I think I have it figured out. But I was wondering what yours is made out of. It looks nice and clean. Also did you have any trouble with undercuts or did you just smooth those out before you molded your scales?

(I am getting closer to getting mine molded. I just have to wait until the polyurethane drys in 24 hours and then get the nerve up to mix the ultracal)

Happy casting!

Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    What material are you using for your mother mold? I am planning on using the ultracal-30 that is sitting in my back room right now but I am a little nervous about using it as I have not used it before and requires some exact measuring by weight. I think I have it figured out. But I was wondering what yours is made out of. It looks nice and clean. Also did you have any trouble with undercuts or did you just smooth those out before you molded your scales?

(I am getting closer to getting mine molded. I just have to wait until the polyurethane drys in 24 hours and then get the nerve up to mix the ultracal)

Happy casting!
    The mold is made out of Shell Shock Brushable liquid plastic. Link here: http://www.smooth-on.com/index.php?cPath=1165
    And no problems with undercuts as of yet.

Wow those scales look just the right size too (now that you can kinda see relative size)
    Mermaid Jewel

awesome job! how neat to see

@Jewel/Raina Thanks you two! <3

Not sure how I left this detail out but the latex I am using is called: Monster Makers mask making latex RD-407. link here: http://www.monstermakers.com/product...and-Props.html

So far it seems like a really good quality latex, it stretches an insane amount, and then reverts right back to its original shape. and ontop of that I have had a scrap of scales sitting in my chlorine pool for several days now and have taken it out to check it periodically. It doesnt seem to have had any degradation and still stretches just like before.

With the method I am using it takes between 1.5-2 gallons per tail. Im 6'1 so I needed a lot of scale sheets for myself, obviously it may be much less for someone else who is much shorter.
    Last edited by Dr. SeaWeed; 08-28-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Put together a video of the fins being peeled from their molds and then put together. Basically a piece of neoprene is soaked in liquid latex until its seeping right through it, and then the 2 texture pieces are pressed onto the neoprene and then left under a heavy object to dry. a more thorough explanation/visual in the video here:

**Note**
    it is important that the fins are fused to the neoprene soon after demolding before they delaminate, basically while they are dry enough to demold but still very sticky. if they do delaminate not all is lost you can just rough up the backside of the latex with a piece of sandpaper and it should help it stick better.
    Last edited by Dr. SeaWeed; 08-29-2011 at 03:25 AM.

wow! This is great! you sure put a lot of detail into this its so amazing

Very nice! Thank you so much for taking the time to make the videos! This is so fascinating to watch! Beautiful job so far and can't wait to see the next phase!

really amazing so far! can't wait for more!

This is absolutely fantastic! The detail on your fins came out incredibly well from what I can tell. My only question is, are you making your own monofin or are you inserting a premade, possibly cut monofin? I've been debating for a while now if I want to take on the task of making my own monofins as well as tails, but I haven't seen much success in it. Just curious what your take on the subject was.
    Thanks again for all of the wonderful work you've done! You truly are made to make this sort of thing. :3

Progress is looking awesome! Although I'd like to suggest something. I know you said you'd put in more latex to cover up the seam of the neoprene showing between the fins. What if you cut out the neoprene to shape then took a little off all around the outer edge? Then the fins would adhere mostly to the neoprene, but around the edges you could adhere them straight to each other instead of the neoprene so it would look more seamless.