Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Children who learn to see underwater clearly

I would donate money to it if there were a kickstarter/indiegogo for someone trying to figure out how to do this. Maybe someone will! I would if my life were a bit different than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MerEmma View Post
    I would donate money to it if there were a kickstarter/indiegogo for someone trying to figure out how to do this. Maybe someone will! I would if my life were a bit different than it is.
    AMEN! Seriously, though, I wish I had the time to devote to studying this. Maybe in the summer when my apartment pool is open, it's not frigid and I'm not teaching school. Yeah...that whole two weeks. XD

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

that would be AWESOME. OMG.
    Mermaids have more fun

Wait, I wonder if Hannah Fraser can see underwater...? She's been swimming her whole life!
    Mermaids have more fun

I may be remembering wrong (can anyone confirm) but I thought I remembered an interview with her. Someone asked how she could see underwater and she said she couldn't... *goes searching*

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

Senior Member Pod of Cali Usagi's Avatar
    Doesn't chlorine blur your vision underwater? I've only opened my eyes in pools and in the shallow parts of the ocean (when I get taken captive by a wave and end up tumbling, and need to find the surface. :P). In pools I always thought the chlorine had some part in the blurriness, and in the ocean, all the sand is getting kicked around..so would I need to try it in a non-chlorinated pool? Lol I can't go in the ocean past by waist...which is only about 2.5' haha

Or am I just making excuses for my blurry, underwater vision? Hehe
    Do you want this anemone to sting you?
    ......yes!

Quote Originally Posted by sydthefairebrat View Post
    Doesn't chlorine blur your vision underwater?
    Actually, I know what's up with that, sydthefairebrat. The reason Anna Gislen could train her subjects in a pool in Sweden is that in Europe they use way less chlorine than they do in Canada & the United States. The chlorine is so strong in US pools, that that's why it can hurt to open your eyes, and you need to use chlorine protector conditioner for your hair. In Eurpean pools you can open your eyes just fine, and the chlorine isn't nearly so bad ofr your skin and hair. I don't know why they use so much chlorine here in North America, but I think it must be too much, because people seem to do just fine not getting bacteria in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    @AptaMer
    I actually only saw a small article that paraphrased the experiment, so I couldn't get the details.

It would be amazing if someone duplicated it, a good business too.
    Specially for people swimming in the ocean, what with trying to spot different fish while trying to look graceful (goggles don't help the later XD).
    Hi Nxy,

So that it will be available for all to read what she did, I have attached the scientific article by Anna Gislén that describes how she did the training. The whole recipe is there. Basically she put them in the water looking at finer and fine gratings to determine at what point they couldn't distinguish detail anymore, and as they practiced trying to distinguish finer gratings, they got better at seeing them underwater. She used her infrared camera to record whether they developed the pupil reflex also.

Because of Mernetwork's limit on PDF file size, I had to break the article up into 2 pieces. If you click on both of them and print them out, you can get the whole article that way. I have all her human underwater vision journal papers & can post the others if there is interest.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Tasha Mermaid's Avatar
    Add Tasha Mermaid on Facebook
    I have never been able to swim with my eyes closed underwater, they have to be open, i also cannot use goggles they feel weird, i have no problem seeing clearly under water it has always been clear for me, mind you i used to like swimming underwater a lot as a kid, still do.....chlorine does distort a little for me but in general i see quite well underwater......interesting fact of me is that my eyes are extremely photo sensitive, i see better and my eyes are more relaxed at night or in darker areas, i wear strong uv and polarised sun glasses to be able to stand even a normal light, the sun is way to strong and my eyes feel like they are burning (it also makes me sneeze a lot as do bright lights) i dont turn lights on at home because i get a migraine from the light

So, I can do this with my eyes but not underwater lol. And when I'm above water my eyes start focusing and it makes everything blurry like I have no control over it lol.
    Last edited by Mermaid Cascada; 01-29-2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Formerly known as "kimmie".

Senior Member Pod of Texas
    Pod of The South
    In the general area of Webster and Clear Lake in Texas
    I think that's really cool. Normally when I'm swimming I locate by sounds that I can hear, but I've found that I can see clearer if I kinda squinch my eyes. Maybe I could figure out how to isolate the muscle in my eyes, like I did with figureing out how to wiggle my ears. Hmmm...

at night, I like to sink to the bottom of my pool and look up. when I really focus, I can pick out constellations from the water
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

That would be awesome!

It's not the chlorine that burns the eyes, it's the chloramines after the chlorine does it's work. Properly balanced chlorine pools don't smell, and don't burn the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Personally, I have a prescription of -5 and -6 to correct my nearsightedness. I can see okay underwater (according to my tests, not really WELL) without my contacts in, but when I get above water I can't see. So it's a choice between seeing underwater or seeing the clients/kids/etc above water. XP Or wearing glasses out of the water, I guess, but glasses give me headaches.
    Without my glasses, my eyes are -15 and i have bad contrast , but underwater I can see almost perfect <3

Quote Originally Posted by Ariel Starfish View Post
    Without my glasses, my eyes are -15 and i have bad contrast , but underwater I can see almost perfect <3
    Cool. So with a different focus, it is possible for your eyes to see clearly underwater.

In a way, you're the opposite of most people. Most people don't need anything to see above water, and need goggles to see underwater. You don't need anything to see underwater, and need glasses to see above the water. Respect!
    Last edited by AptaMer; 02-01-2013 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    It's not the chlorine that burns the eyes, it's the chloramines after the chlorine does it's work. Properly balanced chlorine pools don't smell, and don't burn the eyes.
    That's totally cool. I once went to a hotel nearby where one pool burned my eyes like crazy and the other one was perfect; I could see pretty darn well. Almost as well as above.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    My sister has really bad eyesight she is -21 in both eyes and when we were little i always wondered why she never bumped into anyone at the pool lol

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Traveling Merman's Avatar

Children who learn to see underwater clearly

I'm thinking if you wear hard contact lenses (gas permeables) what's the chance of them falling out of you're eyes in the pool?

Also does anyone know anything about clear scelra lenses and how easy they stay in your eyes hard vs soft (taking into account that some people's eyes reject the lenses regardless)
    Travelling Merman