Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Children who learn to see underwater clearly

I never knew why! I swam without goggles my entire childhood. I never had a problem seeing underwater even in chlorine. I hated goggles. Then sometime during my early teens i lost the ability somehow. Now it's too much of a reflex that as a new mer I'm having a terrible time learning to open my eyes at all. Gah.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Is there hope for people who wear thick glasses? Though the lines would have to be pretty big for us to see them!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Wow, this explains so much! In the water, without my contacts, I have near perfect vision. Above the water, my eyes are -6 and -5.75. So this is really interesting - I thought everyone had good underwater vision. Lol

much love, one love - Moana

Well, that correlates, Moana. I don't need glasses and see clearly above water, but underwater everything is blurry.

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Sabrina the Selkie's Avatar
    Chicago (brrrrr... warm up already, lake!)
    My eyes are at -2.50 and -5.00. Underwater, I can see better than a lot of people, but still not perfectly. I think I'll try closing my stronger left eye and seeing how my weaker eye does on its own.

Now I know for a FACT that I'll never get Lasik.

Quote Originally Posted by Rat-Soup View Post
    Fun fact: People who are extremely short-sighted can see almost normally underwater! Possibly dangerous suggestion, but if you were to wear contact lenses designed for correcting far-sightedness (at a corrective index of at least +1.30), you may be able to see normally underwater. I'm short-sighted, but not enough to completely throw off the distortion that the water causes, so my eyesight (without glasses) above and below water is about the same. :-/
    That sounds like me Lol! I always thiught my extreme near-sightedness was a curse, but I can see almost perfectly under the water. It's what made me feel like a mermaid when I was little.

Sent from my shell phone under the sea!
    I lost my heart to the Ocean
    and with it, a piece of my
    soul
    https://instagram.com/mermaid_nerida/

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina the Selkie View Post
    Now I know for a FACT that I'll never get Lasik.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Nerida View Post
    I always thiught my extreme near-sightedness was a curse, but I can see almost perfectly under the water. It's what made me feel like a mermaid when I was little.
    LOL- you know you were meant to be a mermaid when you can see underwater, but not above

Yuuuuup. Lol.

Infuriating note: my mother - who has perfect vision - says she can see perfectly under the water too.
    Gah. *flicks fins irritatedly*

Senior Member Pod of Texas Merman Lir's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lasserine View Post
    That is interesting.

I used to wear thick glasses for distance, and could see really well under water. After having Lasik done, to correct it, my underwater vision, is blurry now.
    same here! still don't regret the lasik, however.

-9 and -10. Nothing can ever help me except expensive custom made goggles.

How frequently do you open your eyes under the water, Jaffa? I woulda thought your vision (-9 and -10) would actually be fairly good when under the water, sans goggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    -9 and -10. Nothing can ever help me except expensive custom made goggles.
    We are in the same boat : -15 and - 16 here, and tunnel vision.

Oof that's awful. But again, how is your vision under water?

Quite clear without goggles. But clorine hates me! And with my premature eye I can only open one eye under water. :facepalm:

Quote Originally Posted by Ariel Starfish View Post
    with my premature eye I can only open one eye under water
    Had an interesting thought, Ariel Starfish. With a piece of black rubber and the seal from a pair of swimming goggles, you could make a really cool pirate eyepatch to wear over the eye you can't open underwater when you're in the water as a mermaid. The rubber glued onto the seal to make the patch would be flexible and equalize the pressure so you wouldn't get eye squeeze, and it would mean you wouldn't have to squeeze one eye shut when you go down.

Just a thought

Attached Images Attached Images  

[QUOTE=AptaMer;204388]Had an interesting thought, Ariel Starfish. With a piece of black rubber and the seal from a pair of swimming goggles, you could make a really cool pirate eyepatch to wear over the eye you can't open underwater when you're in the water as a mermaid. The rubber glued onto the seal to make the patch would be flexible and equalize the pressure so you wouldn't get eye squeeze, and it would mean you wouldn't have to squeeze one eye shut when you go down.

Just a thought/QUOTE]

That is a really neat idea! Thank you! Love the picture aswel! ❤️

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina the Selkie View Post
    How frequently do you open your eyes under the water, Jaffa? I woulda thought your vision (-9 and -10) would actually be fairly good when under the water, sans goggles.
    Nope. Blind on land. Blind underwater!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by AptaMer View Post
    LOL- you know you were meant to be a mermaid when you can see underwater, but not above
    Indeed!
    Sadly, I have not found a feasible way to spend most of my time underwater

Don't we all wish. That reminded me of this video by the famous Turkish freediver, Yasemin Dalkilic

Note added: Although there is a sad note at the end of this video about NOAA deciding to close the Aquarius lab, which looked like the fate of the habitat in 2012 when Dalkilic made this video, in 2013 Florida International University was able to raise funding to save it, and the habitat is still active, and is being operated by FIU.
    Last edited by AptaMer; 07-19-2015 at 04:37 PM.