Thread: Underwater Ballet / Dance

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Narina's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Narina's Youtube Channel

Underwater Ballet / Dance

underwater ballet/dance is one of the most beautiful things!!!
    i would love to try it, but i dont know how to do it?? Can anyone give me advice ??
    Here are three examples:

User previously known as "Natasha".

I'm not really sure... You could try taking a ballet, or other dance class. Apply what you learn on land to the water...

good luck!
    “The cure for anything is salt water -- sweat, tears, or the sea.”
    Isak Dinesen - http://www.worldofquotes.com/topic/water/2/index.html
    Follow me on Facebook and Youtube!

My Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mermai...38613266232787

My Youtube page:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MermaidDanielle2012

Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar
    I'm with you here. I'd LOVE to do something like that. I've done lyrical/contemporary dancing for eight years and I always dance around in the pool like that... It's just amazing because there's no gravity that'll make you fall. If only I could hold my breath longer. I'd love to know how people get involved in this myself. They remind me of oil paintings...

How breathtakingly beautiful, I would love to pas de deux underwater...
    [I][B]What happens underwater, stays underwater...[/B][/I]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWsihwzHZl4
    Heres my attempt! Im just messing around in the water really but .. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
    i would love to try it, but i dont know how to do it?? Can anyone give me advice ??
    Well, sychronized swimming is kind of the descendant of underwater ballet, after it became less popular in movies and shows. The Britain's Got Talent water ballet team did synchro, here's their performances

Dance training would surely help, but if you could join a synchro club that might be the way to go. Most universities have a synchro team, and even a recreational club too. So if you find yourself headed for uni., you could join a club or team there?
    Last edited by AptaMer; 01-14-2013 at 01:00 PM.

I would LOVE to learn underwater ballet! I haven't the slightest clue where to look for it in my area though. I think I am going to start taking land ballet next year though.

Also, Drowning mentioned pas de deux, so I looked it up. WHAT ON EARTH IS THIS STUFF?!?!

What you found is rather an... extreme example, Hales. This is more common:

Quote Originally Posted by halesloveswhales View Post
    I would LOVE to learn underwater ballet! I haven't the slightest clue where to look for it in my area though. I think I am going to start taking land ballet next year though.

Also, Drowning mentioned pas de deux, so I looked it up. WHAT ON EARTH IS THIS STUFF?!?!
    [I][B]What happens underwater, stays underwater...[/B][/I]

Senior Member Pod of Cali Usagi's Avatar
    Wow, Natasha! You looked really nice! And it looks like being underwater is no problem for you!
    Do you want this anemone to sting you?
    ......yes!

Quote Originally Posted by halesloveswhales View Post

Probably the most jealous 6 minutes of my life! She looks like shes made of elastic, and its all so easy!!!:O

Before you begin, remember: synchronized swimming, underwater dance, and underwater ballet are all different things. All of your videos are underwater dance (not ballet).

I very much enjoyed the first example, with the sigur ros music. She has a good sense of space and angles. The second swimmer has not had very much ballet training because she holds her arms in the least becoming manner. She lets her elbows droop and doesn't keep her hips down. The third dancer seems very cramped. She doesn't move enough for me to tell if she can actually dance or not because she is more concerned with her prop than executing any moves.

As a classically trained ballerina, I would recommend taking ballet classes and lyrical classes. The reason ballet looks so pretty is because of the "poise" that is created by the muscle groups we engage and the angles that we are taught to perform. If you are off by even the slightest amount, you are doing it wrong and it looks wrong. The problems I can foresee with performing ballet underwater is ballet is based upon turned out feet and hips (sideways). Swimming is more of a forward and backwards movement. Ballet does teach the most beautiful arms, in my opinion, which should have no effect upon being in water or on land. Those ballet classes will win you the "prettiest mermaid movements award" because you will understand how to hold yourself gracefully.

Now I am intrigued with the thought of dancing in water. If it warms up here in the next few days, I'll try to make a video of me attempting to translate ballet into water.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklesparkle View Post
    Before you begin, remember: synchronized swimming, underwater dance, and underwater ballet are all different things.
    This.
    I also doubt ballet/dance can be transferred 1:1 from land to water, because you need to hold yourself differently in water to not float up, for example.
    Dance classes will however provide you with ideas if you'd like to do more in water than just swimming

I have a little mer-synchro group (more trio like group, actually), but what we do is basically synchro swimming routines in tails, rather than what the underwater performers in the first 3 videos show.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Narina View Post
    Probably the most jealous 6 minutes of my life! She looks like shes made of elastic, and its all so easy!!!:O
    Well, don't be.
    While acrobatics (and ballet) look fabulous, it's not good or healthy for your body in the long run.
    The performers need to have abnormally deformed ligaments and joints, and while some are born this way, later in life they'll usually develop serious problems.

The healthiest sports/art forms are still those that don't require to overstretch your body in ways it was never meant to.

Every dance has its own magic, but ballet is the true embodiment of grace and expression. It fascinates with its elegance and deep emotional content. If you, like me, have a passion for ballet, Art De Ballet is the place to find the perfect outfits and accessories to make your dance dreams come true.