Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vancouver Mers Meetup

Vancouver Mers Meetup

I know it isn't really mermaid friendly weather here in Vancouver, but I would really like to try to organize a meet up with a few of you Vancouver mers! Is anyone interested? I'm not even sure how many mers there are in the Vancouver area, I know there are a few though and it would be great to meet you!

I know of at least 3 in the Vancouver area- Oceana, Bjossa (username Maple), and Alexis. I know at least 2 of them are going to "A Pirates Life" at the end of the month. I'm not sure they check on here too often (I usually have to go poke them on FB). Depending on when/where the meet up is some of us US mers may come up to take part if you'd be alright with that

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Also, looking on the Member Map, Mermaid Serinessa is also near you.

Absolutely! Thanks! I will be planning a bigger meet up soon, but I just got an email from Mermaid Lori tonight and we are going to head to the Canada Games Pool in New Westminster on the 26th of January for a get together. I know it's short notice, but this is an open invite! If anyone would like to join us please reply and I will post the time once we decide. I've messaged Mermaid Kim and hopefully she will be able to make it. I'll have my underwater camera with for photo ops!

It's going to be a blast!

I've only visited Vancouver once before, and "Wouldn't it be really cold to go mermaiding there?" was the first thought that came to mind! That said, the areas I saw were beautiful, so if that beauty is consistant all across the region, then it would surely be great fun if you could find the right weather for it.

Ha ha! It definitely is chilly! I did some filming out in the ocean in february and MAN WAS IT COLD! WOO! Ha ha! I was blue by the time we were finished! It was so epic! That being said, we do have a number of lovely indoor pools and heated outdoor pools in the area to make up for it!

I'd love to come! I have an underwater camera and am now living in downtown vancouver haha.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    do you not get blizzards this time of the year?! *is snowed in on the east coast* lol I was under the impression vancouver got more snow than we did

Lol, no. The Pacific Northwest is prone to gloom and rain. Snow= not so much.

We got like 2 or 3 days, tops, of very light snow. It's been that way for like 10 years now. I think the last time we even got close to 3 feet of snow was in like 1994/1995

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Caidence's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Caidence's Youtube Channel
    Ahhh rain. Gotta love it. Right now you can't see the end of the road because of the fog.
    Formerly known as Mermaid Serinessa

Ha ha! Vancouver is mostly rain... Not so much with the nice white winters. It would be nice to have some snow, but people here in Van don't handle it well. Hehe... Five flakes of snow and the whole city shuts down. It's actually kinda funny. :P

OK! So the details for this semi last minute fly by the seat of our pants (um tails?) meet up is happening Saturday the 26th at 7:30pm at the Canada Games Pool in New Westminster. So far it looks like Mermaid Kim, Mermaid Lori (Lulu), Mermaid Moongazer (I'm not sure if you received my response over facebook I sent yesterday?) and myself are going. I will be sending an email to Lori to see if she has invited anyone else.

This all started because Lori was in the Metro paper a while back and since she was out of town I snagged her an extra copy and the other day when was going through my mer closet I found it! So I emailed her to see if she still wanted it and POW! Mermaid meet up! So pumped! Hopefully we don't cause too much chaos with all of us in our tails... They are used to seeing Kim and I there on a regular basis after all. LOL!

I should be there. Might be a little late and won't have a handler. Do you guys put your tails on pool side or...? (And yes got your fb message, however fb has been really finicky for me lately haha)

What an awesome night! It was amazing meeting so many other Vancouver mers! We will definitely be doing this again soon!

I'm a mermaid in vancouver

Whats pools are good for mermaid swimming? Watermania?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    If only I had my tail. It should be finished this week. If there is ever another meet up, it would be sweet to meet some of the Vancouver Mers. Me and my wife would be willing to fly out there since we have friends all over the lower mainland to visit on top of this and since I have lived there before, I know how gloomy and rainy it can get during the winter months.

Watermania is mermaid friendly! They recognized the mermaids I went swimming with from their previous visits, and all the lifeguards were totally geeking out over us XD They’re a very mermaid friendly pool ^_^ Just DON'T swim under the barrier between pools, becuase they'll get on you for that. Also.. don't go in the chlorine pool for 2 hours then open your eyes in the salt water pool.. did not know the one with the slides was saltwater. Dear god my eyes were on fire!!

Also if you go on a sunny day and go to the farthest pool, it makes for excellent footage because of the amount of light coming through the skylights. I shot what's probably my favorite video thus far when I went to visit Bjossa last spring:

Oceana and I went swimming at a different pool.. 80% sure it was the Templeton Park Pool. They were fine with mermaids, but Oceana was also friends with the head lifeguard on staff that day. If you're going for taking video I wouldn't recommend it. It was hard to find places to set up the camera, there were always people in the lanes in our shots, and the color and lighting (if you'll excuse my language) made it a bitch to color correct in post production. I messed with it for hours and still wasn't happy with it. You can see that video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrRReQpx0Ow

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    Watermania is mermaid friendly! They recognized the mermaids I went swimming with from their previous visits, and all the lifeguards were totally geeking out over us XD They’re a very mermaid friendly pool ^_^ Just DON'T swim under the barrier between pools, becuase they'll get on you for that. Also.. don't go in the chlorine pool for 2 hours then open your eyes in the salt water pool.. did not know the one with the slides was saltwater. Dear god my eyes were on fire!!

Also if you go on a sunny day and go to the farthest pool, it makes for excellent footage because of the amount of light coming through the skylights. I shot what's probably my favorite video thus far when I went to visit Bjossa last spring:

Oceana and I went swimming at a different pool.. 80% sure it was the Templeton Park Pool. They were fine with mermaids, but Oceana was also friends with the head lifeguard on staff that day. If you're going for taking video I wouldn't recommend it. It was hard to find places to set up the camera, there were always people in the lanes in our shots, and the color and lighting (if you'll excuse my language) made it a bitch to color correct in post production. I messed with it for hours and still wasn't happy with it. You can see that video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrRReQpx0Ow
    Thank you Iona! I LOVE the footage at the 1:09 mark … what a difference that magnificent sunlight makes. Beautiful. Thank you for the info, it seems like Watermania is THE place to go, especially with mermaid fangirls/guys for lifeguards! Haha, how sweet. I don't see how other places would not have similar reactions from the staff, you'd think that chicks with tails coming in for a swim would liven up the monotony of their day. But jeez, i've been reading through some of the other threads and am so surprised at how seemingly "anti mermaid" some facilities are. I suppose they could claim its a safety hazard? Glad thats not the case at Watermania ~

Ooh, that was a beautiful video. Loved how graceful you both were in your tails.
    I can't wait until I get my first tail. Totally would be worth visiting from the island for a merfolk meet. So nervous about swimming alone.
    ~PuppyFish~
    In memory of my beloved terror fish, Puppy, who always wagged his tail fins in happiness when he saw me.