Thread: Grad trip to Florida

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Grad trip to Florida

So, In may I graduate with 2 degrees (7 years of my life, gah!) and Im starting the process of planning a trip and saving money for Florida! I've never been before, but my main goal is to meet Raven (gulfport) and the others mers, find a nice hotel to stay in for a few nights, hit the beaches, and see some sights! Florida is a BIG place. Im wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me for sights I should see? Im trying to get somewhat of an idea so I know where to book my stay so It's close to the places I wanna go and make sure I got $$.

Let me know your ideas! It may seem silly to plan this far ahead but this school year is going to be BUSY for me.

Pod of The South
    There's plenty to do here. A couple places you might want to look at (besides the obvious theme parks, Walt Disney World, Universal Studios and Sea World here in Orlando):

Crystal River - The only place in the world you can swim with wild manatees.
    Devil's Den - A gorgeous diving site.
    Cassadega - A *supposedly* haunted area.
    St. Augustine - The oldest established city in the US. Great historical landmarks and ghost tours.
    Kennedy Space Center - Space museum that has some exhibits and fun rides.

There's also the Keys, which I've always wanted to visit because I hear they are incredible (clear water and great diving!).

If you're looking to stay anywhere in Orlando, may I recommend:
    SpringHill Suites - This is where my parents stay while in Orlando. It's very central to everything, yet not in a super-busy area (so traffic isn't terrible as it is in other places). They are also very reasonably priced and are a brand new hotel, so everything is very clean and modern.

If you need a tour guide, I'd be more than willing to help out ^_^

Facebook: Mermaid Moonflower 月 花
    *The user formerly known as FlowerBite*

thank you Flower! I hope to meet as many mers as I can, so once it gets closer I'll start networking with you all and see if we can have a meetup or something!

Pod of The South
    That'd be great! Let me know if there's anything you're interested in seeing while you're here (things you've heard about or interests you might have) and I'll look into them for you ^_^

If you go to Orlando, drive by the Convention Center and take a pic or wave.

Alveric

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Raina, do you know when you're going? I've been tentatively planning to visit Florida this winter and if our trips overlapped it'd be awesome to hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerBite View Post
    There's also the Keys, which I've always wanted to visit because I hear they are incredible (clear water and great diving!).
    YUSS! The keys are a must but you may be limited in your choices. I just went to Key West specifically. I don't really recommend staying there overnight (unless you can find a nice Bed & Breakfast) cuz the hotels are small and expensive if you go during the busy season. The beaches also can be quite rocky and are full of seaweed so I wouldn't plan on swimming (especially with a tail).

But it is a truly beautiful place. The sunsets are gorgeous and on the northern part of the island there's a shopping/tourist area with piers, restaurants, performers, and tons of cute shops (not to mention bars ;D).

Plus the drive through the keys is really gorgeous and can be very calming. There are some nice beaches along the keys too! Definitely recommend if you have the time and resources to borrow/rent a car.

"She felt a sarcastic impulse to point out to him that in some circles "inhuman" would be considered a compliment..."

- Waking Storms, Sarah Porter

I wont be going til end of May beginning of June as I will be in the arctic this winter

IT LOOKS LIKE THIS TRIP WILL HAPPEN FOR A WEEK IN MARCH!!! my BF and I have a place that we can stay for free for a week I'm nailing the dates and tix down now! I'd love to have a meetup, I'd also like to get some mers to model for me as I do professional photography too and I'd love to give my kin some great photos. I am planning on heading to week wachi and Disney too

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Cool! I'm definitely going to see if I can hang out with you guys. There are a couple reasons I've been meaning to go to Florida, so if my schedule permits it I can probably justify going to Florida.

Pod of The South
    I'm not sure if Weeki Wachee is open in March... However, I'd love to be your Disney guide if you need one! I know that place like the back of my hand ^_^