Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What to expect with your first tail

That's what I was arguing and I just read your post out loud and we are all in agreement! Ha ha! Thank you for helping us settle that. I was curious as well though since I can't imagine it's easy squeezing in with the straps there in a silicone tail. I know I have a fun time wiggling my feet into my fin with the straps in my fabric tail. :P Gotta love it eh?

Thanks for replying so quick!

I'm worried. One of the reasons I wanted a silicone tail was that I thought it wouldn't gap as badly at the waist as my neoprene/latex would (due to my butt/waist ratio). I asked Raven about it and she said it'd be okay...is the gap really bad? As long as it's not slipping down and opening a bunch so kids can see my bottom it's okay.

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

I think a belt would help that, Thalassa. It should hide the gaping, or hold it in place don't you think?

I have a decorative belt and a weight belt. They do hide it to and extent, but the gaping is rather bad. Before I added a drawstring to my tail, the tail would slip down and the belt would ride up so it no longer hid the gap. It also did very little to hold the tail closed. Since I added the drawstring it's been better, but I have no idea how to add a drawstring to a silicone tail so I really hope it's not as bad!

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I'm worried. One of the reasons I wanted a silicone tail was that I thought it wouldn't gap as badly at the waist as my neoprene/latex would (due to my butt/waist ratio). I asked Raven about it and she said it'd be okay...is the gap really bad? As long as it's not slipping down and opening a bunch so kids can see my bottom it's okay.
    Certainly not that bad at all. The thinner the tail is the more likely it'll be to gap because it's so easy to slide. If you get a normal thickness silicone tail you should be fine. Currently mine gaps a lot because I lost 10lbs and a few inches off my waist. I hide it with my belt.

Thanks for posting, Raina! This is really helpful!
    “The cure for anything is salt water -- sweat, tears, or the sea.”
    Isak Dinesen - http://www.worldofquotes.com/topic/water/2/index.html
    Follow me on Facebook and Youtube!

My Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mermai...38613266232787

My Youtube page:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MermaidDanielle2012

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Theta's Avatar
    Follow Theta On Twitter Add Theta on Facebook
    Follow Theta on Tumblr
    I have a silicone tail from Raven and it doesn't gap at all. If anything it's difficult for me to stick my fingers in the waist. However, I had it made a) to come up to my natural waist (I've got a huge butt and had problems with slipping in my other tail) and b) a little tight, to avoid gapping. I do have a muffin top with it, but I was so over the gapping in my Mertailor tail that I consider it the lesser of two evils. It is amaaaaaazing in the water- there's no drag at all.

^ there you go

Thanks for posting Raina, this was very informative! I learned some things I didn't know

great information! what's the best fabric tails out there(if you might know)? I'm on the verge of getting a tail and im super excited, but I want it to be good and last some time.
    beauty inthewater, angelonthe beach

Very informative! I wish I checked here first, it would have saved me a lot of research time. I already knew everything posted here but it took me a few months to find all this out (I heavily research things beforehand) where I could have learned it all in a day had I checked here first xD

<a href="http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/merbella-tail-fundraiser/x/2689131">Donation Pool</a> - Etsy - DeviantArt - Facebook - Twitter

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    You're the bomb!
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

I'm a new mer, thanks for the compilation of info!
    User formerly known as "Tarapotamus".

Thank you so much for this Raina. I'm the sort of person that likes knowing what to expect sometimes and having a plan of action.

I meant to say I updated this a while back haha

Added some more stuff to the original post, also, I made this post about putting your tail on: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...4216#post84216

Follow TheRestless on Tumblr
    This post was super helpful, thank you!

glad to be of help

Thanks so much!!! I just bought a tail and this was very helpful!

Thank you all for the posts! I have been worried about getting a tail because I have a big butt and narrow waist and I didn't want to worry about a tail gapping as bad as my jeans! My first tail is a fabric one that I made myself, and I used a youth monofin with rubber sheeting to make a fluke.

Does anyone know of ideas for monofins for people with little feet? I wear a US size 6 and went with the Finis Wave, which is actually a bit big (my toes come out of the toe holes and swim socks help a little, but eventually slip off. Even after tightening the straps, it just pushes my feet through the foot holes). Can a tail maker work with something like that or would I need to special order a custom monofin?