Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What to expect with your first tail

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Elle's Avatar
    Follow Elle On Twitter
    Visit Elle's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Anahita View Post
    He's a size 9.5 men's.... that's like a size 11.5 women's. I don't think toe-holes will do the trick for him.

Arion, I would just ask and see if you can get the Merbella fluke made with a rapid or cut-down competitor maybe? Seems like that would give you the best chance at "floppy" while still being large enough for your feet.

Arion's post wasn't there when I was typing but yes, an actually Merfin would be out of the question, unless she actually gets around to making adult sizes (they are actually made for children)
    A competitor can be cut to look like a Merfin though. That seems to be what Raven has done with her tails that have that fluke shape.
    "Will you walk a little faster?" said a Whiting to a Snail
    "There's a Porpoise right behind us and he's treading on my tail!"

Tail making progress http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-making-a-tail

I think his thing was he likes the flop rather than just the shape. So the competitor in the Merfin shape pretty much gives him the same problem as the competitor in the Merbella fluke. Not enough flop.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Elle's Avatar
    Follow Elle On Twitter
    Visit Elle's Youtube Channel
    just extend the fluke past the monofin....flop achieved
    "Will you walk a little faster?" said a Whiting to a Snail
    "There's a Porpoise right behind us and he's treading on my tail!"

Tail making progress http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-making-a-tail

Senior Member Euro Pod
    Add Pascal21M on Facebook
    Im not exactl sure which tail i should take latex or silicone? Can you help me?

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    I just sent a link to this thread to my hubby. Guess who gets to train a merman!
    <-This Girl!!!
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I haven't received mine yet. Can't wait to swim in it once I finish practicing with my merfin.

I have grand ideas to modify the tail, like adding two long flowy bits to the tips of the monofin skin. Some light fabric to hide the ankle bump and a few sequins here n there for a bit of sparkle.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 02-17-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Thanks for posting this! This gives a nice idea of what to expect!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pro tips: if you request a tail be cast thinner it'll be more susceptible to damage. Just like if you use your tail for something other than mermaiding. Like acrobatics or fire spinning etc.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

What to expect with your first tail...

I expected high pitched screeching, finger pointing and childish cries of "MERMAID! MERMAID!"

I was all prepared to deal with the kids and the questions since it was a crowded Sunday afternoon...

Got there, had a look around, chickened out, and went to hide it the other end of the swimming pool. Put on my tail as fast as possible and flopped in!

I did swim by three kids who practicing leaping into the lane, they stared open mouthed.

My question is, how do you deal with the staring? I don't know if I can get used to that.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania AnnaAbyss's Avatar
    ^ Sounds like something I'd do! xD That's one thing that scares me from getting a tail; being stared at. I hate it enough already when it does happen.
    Also Raina, this is a really informative thread. Thank you.~

you will get used to being stared at. I take it as a compliment!
    User formerly known as "Tarapotamus".

Senior Member Pod of The South Rivertee's Avatar
    Follow Rivertee On Twitter Add Rivertee on Facebook
    Follow Rivertee on Tumblr
    Wow super thanks to everyone posting in here. I've literally got a small pod of new mers and we're all beginning our journey together. This really helps, the biggest problem is affordable monofins that will give good propulsion without injuring ourselves. I've swam with flippers for years but never a monofin.
    ~Nothing's Impossible just hard to achieve, so stay true to yourself and always Believe~

Formerly known as Kaguria the Kitsune Mermaid

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    • CHLORINE WILL DAMAGE YOUR TAIL EVEN IF IT'S EXPENSIVE. Chlorine eats away at EVERYTHING so be sure to wash your tail with 1/4 baking soda or other alkaline substance to clear out the chlorine. Let it soak, and dry it properly. You should wash it right away.

T_T I'm pretty sure chlorine put a small hole in the first tail I made (100% spandex), considering I've always taken extra special care of it, I'm pretty sure this is how this happened

Well I got used to the staring and the screaming.

As for holes in tails, that's why I have a couple of fabric tails.

Expect to be grabbed by your tail by curious kids who follow you around then stop to chat. I had two girls two weeks ago, followed me when I swam away as it was a crowded corner of the lane, I was about safety, didn't want to accidently hit anyone with my fin. They followed me saying how cool it was, asked me what it was made of, what's inside etc. Then grabbed my fluke as I flapped it at them, lifting it saying how heavy it was, one said it was soft, other one said it was hard etc.

Expect kids even if you don't like them.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 12-11-2014 at 08:12 PM.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    What to expect with your first tail...

I expected high pitched screeching, finger pointing and childish cries of "MERMAID! MERMAID!"

I was all prepared to deal with the kids and the questions since it was a crowded Sunday afternoon...

Got there, had a look around, chickened out, and went to hide it the other end of the swimming pool. Put on my tail as fast as possible and flopped in!

I did swim by three kids who practicing leaping into the lane, they stared open mouthed.

My question is, how do you deal with the staring? I don't know if I can get used to that.
    Swim further under water and/or just smile and wave :P Stared at/screamed at/etc... is part of the thing that just comes with being an entertainer.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    If you're in public, at a beach or event: Expect obnoxious teenage boys. Expect grown ass men acting like idiots, and expect the same 3 jokes over and over and over and over. Expect kids to be a little afraid sometimes. Expect MERCILESS INTERROGATION BY SMALL CHILDREN. Expect 10 million photos. But despite the annoyances, expect to make a few kids believe in magic for a while, and expect to have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    just imagine what it must be like for a Disney performer! Can you imagine being Snow White for a day? It's all in good fun. Obnoxious grown people are probably the worst, in my opinion. But when people stare, stare back! Smile...wave...smile some more! Enjoy yourself! Life is far too short not to BE the mer you know you are!

Banned
    Follow MermaidShannon On Twitter
    Can someone link me to the thread about how to smash yourself into a tail. My mvd tail is here and it matches my measurents but I can't cram in

Banned
    Follow MermaidShannon On Twitter
    I almost died trying to squeeze into that tail. It happened but it wasn't comfortable. I had acrylic nails too and I was so afraid I would punch through the tail.