Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What to expect with your first tail

Hmm the hardest thing for me will be getting used to kids wanting to talk to me...I don't like kids.

I love this thread...And all the other helpful threads on this site.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by MinxFox View Post
    Hmm the hardest thing for me will be getting used to kids wanting to talk to me...I don't like kids.

I love this thread...And all the other helpful threads on this site.
    Put on your "angry face" and they'll never bother you!

I remembered something when I was reading the other thread...

If you've never worn a tail before, even a simple fabric one, it'll feel VERY heavy to swim in.

I know because the first time I put on my tail, I felt like the tail was going to drown me! Luckily, I had my starts in a very shallow pool, 1.2 m depth, waist deep, but it was still pretty scary as I had not swam in such a thing before, let alone a monofin.

I was having heart palpitations and felt like vomiting, and the fear not just of going under water, but the fear of being the first mer to drown in their tail in a public place... Was most terrifying and embarrassing at the same time!

After a few months of surface thrashings and epic battles of buoyancy fights, I am glad to say I love the deep end and my tails!
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 01-27-2015 at 06:30 AM.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Banned
    Follow MermaidShannon On Twitter
    Don't be dickish to kids they just want to believe you're magical. Be nice suck it up and then complain on the drama thread. What if santa clause gave you resting bitch face. Poor kid lol

Just because I don't like kids doesn't mean I am going to be mean to them. I have been a camp counselor before and had to be in charge of the little girls one year. They were okay and I am always nice to kids, but that doesn't mean I like them.

I never liked seeing Santa Clause at the mall I always cried.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidShannon View Post
    Don't be dickish to kids they just want to believe you're magical. Be nice suck it up and then complain on the drama thread. What if santa clause gave you resting bitch face. Poor kid lol
    LOL! Resting bitch face!!!

I'm usually nice when kids come to talk to me, its the ones that barge into my lane (mostly boys) and then proceed to yell out "There's a mermaid in here!" to which I tell them to shut up and piss off, I'm trying to exercise! Only happens during school holidays though, most swims its really quiet and I get nice compliments even from young boys!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Banned
    Oh I understand

Banned
    I get it I'm scared of clowns

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidShannon View Post
    What if santa clause gave you resting bitch face.
    Immediately this came to mind:

Name:  tumblr_inline_ms5hf9pmc11r1x7sq.gif
Views: 751
Size:  89.4 KB

Scary faces aside, whenever I've had kids come into my lap lane while tail swimming the lifeguards always yelled at them to move before I even have a chance to say anything.

But back on topic: my first tail swim felt really natural, but I'd been practicing with my monofin for a couple months already, and dolphin kicking in regular swim fins for a few more months before that. Swimming in regular fins with my legs together helped me get into the habit without the danger of having my feet or legs constricted. Once I was comfortable with that and didn't have the urge to separate my legs I used my monofin. By the time I got my tail I was more comfortable dolphin kicking in a monofin than swimming any other way.
    "I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." — Anaīs Nin

What do the mers do that have larger bottoms and flat stomachs? How do you prevent sagging from happening with the tail from the back to the bottom?

Thank you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life is a splash 🌊 ~ What do you choose - Shallow or Deep? Make an impact today 💕

Banned
    You have to buy a tail that was custom fit then use a belt. I have a big badonkadonk and a flat tummy

It also depends on what your tail is made of. If you have a fabric tail, you can see an elastic into the waistband.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by auroraspirit View Post
    What do the mers do that have larger bottoms and flat stomachs? How do you prevent sagging from happening with the tail from the back to the bottom?

Thank you.
    Gapping at the waist is one of the biggest issues with tails. Many just use a belt to conceal it. But there are some ways to get around it. Fabic, use elastic; neoprene use a zipper or a elastic belt (with clasp); silicone tails can have a fitted waist, it just takes more effort to get into the tail getting it past your thighs

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Put on your "angry face" and they'll never bother you!

I remembered something when I was reading the other thread...

If you've never worn a tail before, even a simple fabric one, it'll feel VERY heavy to swim in.

I know because the first time I put on my tail, I felt like the tail was going to drown me! Luckily, I had my starts in a very shallow pool, 1.2 m depth, waist deep, but it was still pretty scary as I had not swam in such a thing before, let alone a monofin.

I was having heart palpitations and felt like vomiting, and the fear not just of going under water, but the fear of being the first mer to drown in their tail in a public place... Was most terrifying and embarrassing at the same time!

After a few months of surface thrashings and epic battles of buoyancy fights, I am glad to say I love the deep end and my tails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Marine View Post

But back on topic: my first tail swim felt really natural, but I'd been practicing with my monofin for a couple months already, and dolphin kicking in regular swim fins for a few more months before that. Swimming in regular fins with my legs together helped me get into the habit without the danger of having my feet or legs constricted. Once I was comfortable with that and didn't have the urge to separate my legs I used my monofin. By the time I got my tail I was more comfortable dolphin kicking in a monofin than swimming any other way.
    *jumped into deep end first time out having only practiced once with monofin*

Was I not supposed to do that?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I find waists often gape when you sit/are dry but not so much when you swim!

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I find waists often gape when you sit/are dry but not so much when you swim!
    I agree with Raina
    I wear a thong so that the silicone stick to the skin of my big butt and voilā! It doesn't gap at all, or very slightly it's barely there.

Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Corabelle's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Corabelle On Twitter Add Mermaid Corabelle on Facebook Add Mermaid Corabelle on Google+
    Follow Mermaid Corabelle on Tumblr Visit Mermaid Corabelle's Youtube Channel
    Whew! A thong? Dang Arion lol glad you were able to find a solution

I'm about to get my first tail this summer from Sirenalia. I wasn't aware silicone as a material was sticky.. I just know from reading a whole lot that it's heavy and stretchy.

Corabelle the Corpus Christi Mermaid

Read my Blog: http://theccmermaid.wordpress.com
    "Like" my page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theccmermaid
    Check out my photos: http://instagram.com/theccmermaid
    Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/theccmermaid

Who would be
    A mermaid fair,
    Singing alone,
    Combing her hair
    Under the sea,
    In a golden curl
    With a comb of pearl,
    On a throne?

-Alfred Lord Tennyson, The Mermaid, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Corabelle View Post
    Whew! A thong? Dang Arion lol glad you were able to find a solution

I'm about to get my first tail this summer from Sirenalia. I wasn't aware silicone as a material was sticky.. I just know from reading a whole lot that it's heavy and stretchy.
    Obviously, silicone don't stick to swim trunks so a gap is to be expected unless you wear a belt

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I find a thong helps too

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I find a thong helps too
    And I'm just gonna post this here

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Fun123joker's Avatar

Follow Fun123joker on Tumblr
    i dont like thongs they give me wedgies (i may or may not have a bubble butt)
    i dont like kids cu sometime i just wanna be alone and once i be nice to them i cant shake them off and the parents leave the responsibility to me when they see that.

when i got my first monofin i learned when you get a new one just wear it around the house. you gonna bindge watch somthing on your couch all day? wear your monofin to get use to it. its not like you're gonna get off the couch or somthing

gif. from Free! Eternal summer ending
    ・゚: *✧・゚:* \(◕ω◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧