Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mermaid Kariel's tails? Anyone ever bought from her?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Wesley View Post
    *snort*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey friends, I chatted with Kariel last night to clear this up a little, 2,400 is going to be the starting point for the jump off point of silicone tails with a scale sheet. Malia's tail is not basic, she has individual scales, and a ton of fins. So it will be extra for fins/individal scales etc. No idea how much, or any of that, but I thought you guys would like to know. :-)
    And Pearlie, I know you rocked this individual scales from the beginning and you are amazing and make wonderful tails, I'm sorry if anyone has made you feel not that way.
    "It is your choice to hide in a shell, or to be shrimply fintastic by being yourself"
    www.mermaidharmony.com
    MermaidHarmony@gmail.com Facebook:Mermaid Harmony Twitter: @MermaidHarmony

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Harmony View Post
    ...And Pearlie, I know you rocked this individual scales from the beginning and you are amazing and make wonderful tails, I'm sorry if anyone has made you feel not that way.
    Don't sweat it.

Venessa and Pearlie, you both crack me up! Thanks. I needed that today.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Since the scales are individual, do they lift up?
    Formerly known as "kimmie".

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    it will be interesting to see how the tails hold up over time. being reversible and turning inside out. I'm curious if it would make them more durable or less durable.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    i /think/ they mean reversible front to back, not inside out. not sure, though.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I tlooked to me from the photos and explanation that you could turn the whole thing inside out. one side blue, the inside green type thing.

The reversible means that one side of the tail is more green, and one side more blue. Depending on which way you use the fluke, you can make the whole tail 'seem' different by wearing it one way or the other.
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    Mernetwork Moderator

It's reversible front to back, according to her post on facebook. Not sure how the fluke is reversible, unless it doesn't have a monofin.

It could possibly be more of a monofin 'box' like MVD uses.
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    Mernetwork Moderator

The scales lift up just a little, no turning inside out, the back is bluer the front is greener, the monofin is removable lending to the reversable fluke if that makes any sense. Think of it as three pieces, tail, fluke, and monofin.
    "It is your choice to hide in a shell, or to be shrimply fintastic by being yourself"
    www.mermaidharmony.com
    MermaidHarmony@gmail.com Facebook:Mermaid Harmony Twitter: @MermaidHarmony

Smile Where I am at on Silicone

Aloha All.

Thanks for all the curiosity. I actually have not figured on a set basic price for a tail yet. I have taken a number of private orders to get my fins wet in the process of silicone. Time, costs, experiments, learning curves..... These few first orders did receive a HUGE discount, to insure the clients would be kind through my learning curves ( there has been a ton of learning!). I have 3 more silicone tails to finish and then will have a great sense of what I will charge to make them, how many I will make per year ect or even if I end up wanting to run a tail business. This is all an experiment for me. What I can say now is its a lot more expensive to make a silicone tail then I had planned and the 2,400 bench mark does not seem reasonable at the extent of my labor and the time I put in. I just can't make anything simple...I have to go so above and beyond because I fall in love with what I am making. Its fun and I love making them. It will come down to my time and numbers after these tails are all finished. I will let everyone know beginning of September what I plan to do. Pearly Mae you rock at what you do! Your design make me drool :-) If I don't end up making tails I will definitely be sharing my moulds with a tail maker....no point in waisting all these fab moulds I've made. We will all have to wait and see how it goes...even myself. All my love to everyone. Keep swimming, making beautiful things, and helping to better our world. Such an awesome community!

Kariel

Thank you! this first silicone tail will always be one of my favorites :-)

@Mermaid Kariel

I suggest that you reply with quotes so we can understand better each of your posts here.
    It's at the bottom of each message, you click on "reply with quote" and voilà!

Quote Originally Posted by Venessa Louisiana Mermaid View Post
    And Kariel, if you don't mind, I would like to offer you a bit of advice from someone who has run her own business for 10 years (not tailmaking but creative-based). You said above your pricing will begin at $2400 for adult tails. Well, I know other mers are going to hop on here and be furious at me for saying this, because at the moment they are salivating just waiting to take advantage of this. YOU ARE PRICING YOURSELF WAY TO LOW.

Seriously, this is lower than some of the current tailmakers on the market that are nowhere NEAR this level of talent. What is going to wind up happening is that you are going to get a FLOOD of orders at this price and be completely overwhelmed trying to fill them. You will work twice as hard and your wait times will double and then everyone will be unhappy....yourself and your customer. You need to start these tails at AT LEAST double that amount. That way, you get only the serious buyers who will pay for your art. Instead of filling two ordersfor 5K, you fill one...for the same amount of money and half the time. I don't know for sure...but I am guessing this is what is happening at Merbella. She could probably raise her prices as well and shorten her turnaround times. KNOW YOUR TALENT...and know your market. And best of luck!
    Thank you so very much. I actually took this message to heart :-) After getting my fins real wet...I am going to make the final price call :-) 3 tails to go. I'll let all know in September how i plan to move forward. See my post on page 4 for more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Arion View Post
    @Mermaid Kariel

I suggest that you reply with quotes so we can understand better each of your posts here.
    It's at the bottom of each message, you click on "reply with quote" and voilà!
    Ha ha Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    Don't sweat it.
    Yes you are forever my silicone tail making idol! I still drool :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kariel View Post
    Ha ha Thanks!!
    You're welcome
    I will be watching this thread. I love your work both as a mermaid and tailmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lorelei View Post
    It could possibly be more of a monofin 'box' like MVD uses.
    No I am using Finis Fins in my tails :-) Which ever client prefers. I use a wave in my own pool flukes and a competitor in my ocean flukes.