Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A very dissatisfied mermaid and allow me to tell you why!

You guys crack me up!!!!! I have to use that phrase drama dozer in my classroom lol yay teaching high schoolers

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    I'm glad that your issue has been resolved, and I'm really glad you're getting one of her full silicone tails. I really love seeing them in the water. <3
    Will you post pictures of it once you've received it?
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Most definitely! Can't wait to see it myself.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    ariaella- I'm just curious. You said in a previous post that you have made a few Alex tails yourself, so I assume you know what it looks like when the material is not cured. If the tail was not cured completely when it arrived, why did you take it out into water the next day? I thought Alex takes a very long time to fully cure, especially when applied to fabric as thickly as it often does for a tail. Also I forget if you said previously, but did Stevi say anything about the product being wet? just trying to put a few pieces together.

Quote Originally Posted by ShyMer View Post
    ariaella- I'm just curious. You said in a previous post that you have made a few Alex tails yourself, so I assume you know what it looks like when the material is not cured. If the tail was not cured completely when it arrived, why did you take it out into water the next day? I thought Alex takes a very long time to fully cure, especially when applied to fabric as thickly as it often does for a tail. Also I forget if you said previously, but did Stevi say anything about the product being wet? just trying to put a few pieces together.
    Hey ShyMer. When I got my tail from Stevi, you couldn't tell that the latex hadn't cured all the way. It was only when I spent a couple hours in the water that I noticed the latex turning white (It kind of looked like glue. You can tell from some of the pictures I've posted) instead of staying clear. All I did to finish curing it was stick it out in the sun and heat for the day, and it was all better. So I understand how Ariaella may have not know that it wasn't cured all the way. I hope this much helps!

A very dissatisfied mermaid and allow me to tell you why!

I'll tell you, every time I swim in my latex tail for a longish time it turns white and "un-cures." I took it out, I've "cured" it for quite a while (even to a month) and it still un-cures. I had the understanding that this is a common problem with Alex tails...I thought I saw a thread about it, can anyone confirm?

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    iI have heard that they'll come uncured, it's the chunks peeling off that I'm mostly curious about. seems different from what I typically hear about.

Oh, I see. Well, mine always come uncured but it has yet to lose a chunk. Then again, I'm always SUPER careful not to scrape it against anything when it's white. I've also known people who've had chunks come off, but I don't know if it's a curing issue or because they scraped it on something when it was uncured. *shrug*

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

Yes, ALEX tails uncure and turn white when in water for long periods of time. They will do that every time if they are in the water for long enough. They will even do that if you leave them wet and don't air them out properly. Over time the stuff degrades and it becomes weak, which is when it starts crumbling and coming off. It's one of many faults with them. People were arguing that ALEX is safe once cured, so it's fine to use on tails. But if it turns white and essentially uncures in the water, I really can't see how that is safe. Especially if you are in a pool of water not open water. You can see how against the material I am by all the disclaimers and information I've posted on it since the days of MerYuku. It's a controversial material for sure, but people use it anyway.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    yup, that's what happened to my Alex tail and what happened to Raven's Alex tails too, it's why she took her tutorial for making alex tails down. She didn't want to endorse a product that wasn't safe or fell apart.

Ugh. I know where your coming from. I ordered my tail October-beginning of November. It was a Christmas present and I thought that two months would be plenty of time to have a latex tail ready and shipped for Christmas. Now, I live in Switzerland, and I went back to the U.S to spend Christmas with my Grandparents and other relatives. Everything was going great with Stevi, she would respond to my emails and everything. But after cyber monday, she would take weeks to respond. I was in the U.S and Christmas was coming up. Stevi sent me an email saying that my tail was ready and that it would be shipped that following weekend. I told my mom and she was somewhat relieved. The weekend had past, and nothing came up. No email, no updates, not tail, nothing. Two weeks later, I sent her an email asking her what was up. Nothing. No response for days. Christmas came and past, and still no tail. My mom got upset because I didn't get my big present in time for Christmas. We finally got an update a couple days after Christmas saying that she's sorry, and that she'll be shipping some tails out that week, and then she'd ship out my tail after, blah blah blah, etc... My mom then sent her an email complaining that we ordered my tail in OCTOBER and it was the beginning of JANUARY and I still hadn't gotten it. She said that we should be getting my tail shipped out with the first batch. We would be leaving the U.S January 8th and I needed my tail before then because having things shipped to Switzerland is REALLY expensive. She responded very nicely saying that we were absolutely right and that she would ship it out Wednesday (it was Monday). Wednesday passed, and we got no email. FINALLY the day before we were supposed to leave, I got it. I do have to say, I couldn't be happier with it. It's really amazing.

I'm really sorry that you had this experience. Stevi seems like a wonderful person, but I think that she takes more than she can handle. I'm also very surprised that she's having a sale now for full silicone tails when she hasn't even finished the late Christmas/cyber monday orders!
    ~~~~~~~Happy Swimming!!~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~The Seagirls (Fiona and Elena)

Check out our YouTube channal!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/626SeaGirls

Mystic Waters will hopefully premier in Fall 2013

Our Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/TheSeaGirls?fref=ts