Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calling all Portland mers!/portland area

Hey so I just found this. I'm a P-Town mer, though I have no tail currently. I do however have a monofin and love it! If anyone is interested in swimming sometime that would be fun! I'm a merman in my 20's btw's
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Cure for anything is Saltwater, Sweat, Tears or The Sea
    (Isak Dinesen)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Merman Jace Aquarius

Calling all Portland mers!/portland area

There are lots of mermaids in Portland actually. There are two pod groups on FB, one of them is run by the Rouge Mermaids and most of them are in Portland. I'm on mobile so I'll post the links later.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Thank you very much!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Cure for anything is Saltwater, Sweat, Tears or The Sea
    (Isak Dinesen)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Merman Jace Aquarius

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    North Pacific Pod

Oregon. Home of bipolar weather and rain in 30 degree weather.
    Add SIF on Facebook
    Visit SIF's Youtube Channel
    I'm not sure there ARE a lot of us in the area. Battleground lake would be a cool spot and it's usually pretty warm, year round. There's also Iris fountain, off of Jackson Ave. in Portland we could use. It's the one across from the theatre/dance hall with all the waterfalls and shturff... I'll be getting my tail sometime by March and look forward to the possibilty of meeting with others.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshWaterMermaid View Post
    Whatever works
    I'm surprised at the silence on this topic... I know you and I aren't the ONLY Portland area mers... right???

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I'm in the SW Portland area!
    Octavia: got married! Saving for a new tail! >u<b

Re: Calling all Portland mers!/portland area

Still aiming for December for my monofin but probably not make my tail until February.
    I feel the seawater in my veins. I listen to the roar of the sea and it speaks to me like a mothers voice. The tide pulls at my heart. - Night Tide

*random splashing for fun.*

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

Re: Calling all Portland mers!/portland area

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssaf1sh56 View Post
    I'm not sure there ARE a lot of us in the area. Battleground lake would be a cool spot and it's usually pretty warm, year round. There's also Iris fountain, off of Jackson Ave. in Portland we could use. It's the one across from the theatre/dance hall with all the waterfalls and shturff... I'll be getting my tail sometime by March and look forward to the possibilty of meeting with others.
    Battle Ground Lake is NOT where you wanna swim. It's had BAD 'e coli' problems. Nasty stagnant Lake. Unfortunately :/

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    ~`*Fresh Water Mermaid*`~
    Mermaid Yvette
    Facebook § youtube § DeviantArt

Ooh, I'd love to help organize a meet-up in Portland! I don't know how we'd get into a fountain or what one we'd want to swim in, but I think if we ask around we can find some information. Either way, it sounds fun!
    Lyra the mermaid <3

So I'm a total newb, don't have a tail yet but I've been doing a lot of research into making my own (got a lot of experience with molding and casting). I'd love to come to a meet-up, especially if anyone would be willing to let me have a good look at how their tail is constructed.

I've only lived in PDX for about a year so I'm afraid I don't know any good places to meet up. Is there a spot along the river that might be safe and accessible for swimming?

I don't know about the river but depending on where you are, there are several heated pools that allow mermaids!
    Octavia: got married! Saving for a new tail! >u<b

I see kayakers in the river all the time so I'd assume it's fairly safe to swim in as long as you stay close to shore and out of the major shipping lanes. There are a few places close to Morrison bridge that might work - there's even a fountain where Salmon Street hits the river where mers could splash.

The DEQ says the water is safe for swimming, even downtown: http://www.oregon.gov/deq/WQ/Pages/s...etteriver.aspx

We could always crash this year's Big Float: http://www.thebigfloat.com/... But I know I'm going to be out of town that weekend. It sounds like a good spot for a meet up, though.
    Last edited by Lily; 06-21-2014 at 05:52 PM.

North Pacific Pod

Add SIF on Facebook
    So... I was downtown the other day and they had the fountain on at pioneer square, which was kinda loud in a waterfall-type way, and there were a bunch of small children leaning in and sticking in their arms and throwing in coins to make wishes and I thought, "Wow. What a great mermaidind spot...". So I went inside and asked if they thought that'd be allowed and the lady gave me a business card and directions to the people who are in charge of the square and are authorized to yay or nay on square activities, so that's a possibility...

North Pacific Pod

Add SIF on Facebook
    I LOVE the idea of craching the float though. We could pick a beach between the two points to load in at and join the floaters as they pass, then get out down-stream from where they get out...

So, seeing as this summer is pretty much over, we should start planning meetups and other mer-related events now. I totally agree with Lily and Nyssa on the Big Float idea. That sounds like it would be awesome!! Also, pretty much every fountain on the Portland waterfront would be awesome for mermaiding. I think our biggest challenge will be getting our tails on without anyone seeing. Some of us could also bring those pop-up canopies if necessary for shade. I hope this can work out!
    Everyone wishes for a magical solution to their problems but they refuse to believe in magic.
    ~Henry (from Once Upon A Time)

North Pacific Pod

Add SIF on Facebook
    I've grown up swimming in battleground my entire life....