Thread: Steampunk Ariel from DragonCon 2011

Senior Member Pod of The South

Steampunk Ariel from DragonCon 2011

For Dragon*Con 2011 I did a steampunk-inspired Ariel (I was with a group that did Steampunk Disney princess costumes) and I wanted to post a few pictures of how it turned out. There's another different group doing SP Disney again so I'm planning on bringing it back, though I might add an actual tail if we're just going to be hanging out in the same area for a while for photos.

It was supposed to be mermaid Ariel, and the idea was to have the tank so she could "breathe" water. The scales are from Raven's shop -- before she started making tails!

The first two photos are (c) Paul Cory Photography. The last one my friend took while we were at Dragon*Con night at the Georgia Aquarium. I think it's my favorite from all of my Ariel photos.

Name:  lauren-3r.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  444.0 KB

Name:  lauren-6r.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  178.9 KB

Name:  AquariumR.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  243.4 KB

Really cool! I love the water tank touch to it
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Steampunk Ariel from DragonCon 2011

LOVE that water tank! I've been asked to be a mascot for the local steam-fest, so I need to steam up my mer stuff. I'm more into Lolita than steam punk, so I have no idea what I'm doing, lol.

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

That is wicked sweet!!!!!!!! Love everything about that costume from the tank, mask and scales!

"I am a siren, a mermaid"

Please follow me on FaceBook !

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Follow Mermaid Melusinah On Twitter Add Mermaid Melusinah on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Melusinah's Youtube Channel
    ooo oo i saw these pics flosting around the webs the other day! You look so awesome!!! I'm a HUGE steampunk fan!!

Wow that looks really cool! I Especially love the idea that she breaths water, very creative
    •○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•
    "The breaking of a wave cannot explain the whole sea."
    •○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•
    ○•○•○•○•

-Vladimir Nabokov

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Melusinah View Post
    ooo oo i saw these pics flosting around the webs the other day! You look so awesome!!! I'm a HUGE steampunk fan!!
    Really? Do you remember where? I've never seen my costume pics posted anywhere before (except the odd one in the 10K+ DragonCon Flikr pools).

Thanks for all the comments! I'm bringing it back with me this year for another Disney Steampunk group. I have to seal the top of the tank where the bolts meet as it was splashing out as I walked and I'm debating on remaking my skirt since it's stained from the splashing. I might make a proper tail for some photos, too.

Interesting fact: there's actually a straw running from the tank all the way into the mask

As I was writing this my boyfriend informed me I'm on the top line of Google image search for "Steampunk Ariel". I squeed. Lots.

Member Pod of The South Marilla's Avatar
    I am a huge steampunk fan, and Ariel is my childhood idol, this crossover really turned out amazingly beautiful! Great work!
    User formerly known as "Errngwir".

At night I sit and dream of a cozy sandstone cave on the shore of the Mediterranean Sea, of all the places in the world that I've been, it is there I wish to be...

I'm glad I am a woman who once danced naked in the Mediterranean Sea at midnight.
    ~Mercedes McCambridge

LOL~~~Not bad,But I don't like the dresses,I like long dresses cosplay!!!

_
    Last edited by Josephine123; 10-10-2014 at 04:13 AM.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    That is the most brilliant way to carry water bottles EVER. I drink like a fish, but think it's so out-of-character to always be carrying water/soda bottles around. The mask also solves derp face worries :P

SO AMAZING. I WANT TO MAKE.

I also *love* all the little scales all over! You look like a "dangerous" Ariel

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)