Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishy Business: How to be a Mermaid

Senior Member Euro Pod
    Dont forget self publishing 2.0 means you own all rights. If you have an agent publisher they aften write into contracts that they also get a commision for books you sell on your own; or via electronic mediums / films / etc.
    Whilst the book is a work of love, why not let it also live freely - sure a printed book is great for family friends and ego (dont be shy n try to deny). Just additional 0.2€ worth

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Dont forget self publishing 2.0 means you own all rights. If you have an agent publisher they aften write into contracts that they also get a commision for books you sell on your own; or via electronic mediums / films / etc.
    Whilst the book is a work of love, why not let it also live freely - sure a printed book is great for family friends and ego (dont be shy n try to deny). Just additional 0.2€ worth
    Exactly one of the big reasons I'd prefer self publish over publisher.

So COOL!!!!! I'll be sure to buy it
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My heart is pierced by Cupid, I disdain all glittering gold,
    There is nothing that can console me but my jolly sailor bold.
    ~ETSY: Trove by the Sea~Google +~FACEBOOK~
    mermaidmarissa.studios@gmail.com

"Imagine a life of wonder"

Where would we buy it? Will it be sold on here?

It will be sold online

Senior Member Pod of Cali leeloo's Avatar
    Hey Raina, I sent you a message on Facebook about your book....I didn't see a way to private message you on here

Yup, I'm totally going to need an autographed copy.
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by leeloo View Post
    Hey Raina, I sent you a message on Facebook about your book....I didn't see a way to private message you on here
    Click on her screen name (left side of post) a box shows up click private message.

^ You can also have a setting where only admins and friends can PM you. That might be it.
    Also, I am soooooooooooooooooo excited for the book to come out!!!! Congrats on doing this, it's really an accomplishment to get a book published
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Sorry, I've been too busy and ill to respond to PMs I'm swamped with them right now and emails.

Awesome!
    How long is it, Raina??
    You must've been working on it for quite a while! I mean, I imagine books take a long time
    to write regardless x__x

Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

my resource section isn't finished yet (huge time consuming cross referencing thing x_X it's killing me) but so far, I just passed 31,000 words X_X That's just one of the draft versions. I've been going back and forth with editors, some things have been trimmed down but more than often they're being beefed up. I think I'm also going to go back through when it's all finally edited and look at some separate personal stories I have typed up to see if they parallel well with any of the info I've put in. I think when it's all said and done it'll be 40-45k words + images. That's also no including Carolyn's forward. That'll translate to different page lengths depending on the medium. It's going to be great though. At this point I feel like I'm about to have a baby LOL all this cooking now I just wanna get it out there ahahah

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    Congratulations Raina!

This is awesome! Will have to get!

Congrats! If it's possible, I'm hoping to get a signed copy <3 U are my mer-idol ^^

I have wanted to buy this book from you ever since I first noticed it on facebook. I'll definitely be purchasing a copy when it's released!

<a href="http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/merbella-tail-fundraiser/x/2689131">Donation Pool</a> - Etsy - DeviantArt - Facebook - Twitter

I'm so glad people are so interested, I've been putting so much into it. I really hope it lives up to expectation!

Thought I'd give you a little update!

I am planning on publishing in May and I am super excited. So far the book is 140 pages! (I say so far because it's being edited and formatted still) I bought my own font which is super cool, learned all about the ins and outs of formatting, getting an ISBN, and all that other fun stuff!

Originally I was planning on going with createspace- a self publishing platform through Amazon. Unfortunately I found out it's rather difficult for anyone who is not from the USA to use them, as they don't register with any other tax organizations besides the IRS. (I would need the CRA) This means, the IRS takes all my money :O unless I fly/drive down to the USA and get some papers notorized in person, after I apply for a TAX # which'll take weeks and loads of money. So not very fun, and way more money than I was hoping to invest in a book. And of course, it was very difficult to find out this information, not exactly something they advertise clearly... so...

I went with another self publishing platform because they are done through CRA- and that's Lulu. The only downside to Lulu is that they charge 2 fees. A manufacturing fee and a Lulu fee. Whereas Createspace only charged a few bucks per book, Lulu charged 10-15$. I wont be able to have the book as inexpensive as I wanted at least in hard copy. (and this was still the best one I could find that cooperated with CRA) IN addition, Lulu charges almost 500$ upfront to convert into ebook format and distribute. So I found an alternative way to do the e-books in which I set the price and make the majority of the money back- hence being able to sell much much cheaper than if I had to pay the 500$

So, the hard copy will still be there for people who don't mind paying a few $$, but the e-book will be much more affordable, and obviously no wait time for shipping and handling

Here's a sneak peek from an earlier draft on the content covered in the book:

I'm hoping it'll meet everyone's expectations. I'm so excited to almost be done, it's like having a baby or something haha.

We're doing the cover photo shoot on the 21st, and it's going to be super cool and a neat concept. Very excited to do it, and I'll probably reveal it on my FB instead of waiting for the book launch because I don't want to wait XD
    Last edited by AniaR; 04-10-2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Tail flip! Waiting, waiting, wait....
    H.P. Lovecraft “You fool, Warren is DEAD!”

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    Looks super comprehensive! I can't wait to see the final product