Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Acrylic Mer Tank

Senior Member Pod of The South MermaidHyli's Avatar
    Add MermaidHyli on Facebook
    That reminds me of the tank that was on mermaids the new evidence with the side show mermaid in the cylinder tank. Really cool

I wish I was away in Ingo
    Far away across the briny sea
    Sailing over deepest waters
    Where love nor care never trouble me

Looking at that tank, I've just thought maybe we'd come up with more stuff in searches if we use other keywords? Like alien tank? Or side show tank or something?

I really like that upright tank....how much?
    Mermaid Nami
    "Saving Our Sharks"

Acrylic Mer Tank

Never mind I found it on eBay. I love the idea of it. But it's way too expensive.
    Mermaid Nami
    "Saving Our Sharks"

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Yep. Unfortunately cost will be a factor for anything that large. For example: Glass Cages
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Acrylic Mer Tank

I found a site that has large used aquariums 300gals and bigger. I found a 750 gal acrylic tank for less than $5000.....
    Any Ohio mers want to work together for one?
    Mermaid Nami
    "Saving Our Sharks"

So I was still curious of other tanks and started looking around. I found the tank I originally wanted so I cancelled my order and got this tank. Its bigger, thousands of dollars cheaper, and in Richmond. Literally its too good to be true! The guy was selling it because he's getting a much bigger tank haha Here's a picture of me in it =]
    Name:  IMG_20130816_183858.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  403.0 KB

Acrylic Mer Tank

How much?
    Mermaid Nami
    "Saving Our Sharks"

I don't really feel comfortable listing the exact expenses. I will say as Raven did a tank custom made costs as much as a new car. This one was as much as a used car.

Acrylic Mer Tank

Fair enough. I'm jut keeping my fingers crossed for a decent tank under 10k
    Mermaid Nami
    "Saving Our Sharks"

WOW! Congrats!<3

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of Texas

Add Mermaid~Summer on Facebook
    I'm thinking something like this http://www.ntotank.com/coba.html and going with one that is 4-5 feet high but wider around so I can swim around and still do tricks and stuff. They also do custom jobs which is what I want, then I just have to find someone who knows how to cut out areas and put in plexiglass or acrylic viewing windows all around it and still be water tight. This is all I've got so far but I think it's a good start and it's more affordable
    [B][FONT=book antiqua]~Summer[/FONT][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid~Summer View Post
    I'm thinking something like this http://www.ntotank.com/coba.html and going with one that is 4-5 feet high but wider around so I can swim around and still do tricks and stuff. They also do custom jobs which is what I want, then I just have to find someone who knows how to cut out areas and put in plexiglass or acrylic viewing windows all around it and still be water tight. This is all I've got so far but I think it's a good start and it's more affordable
    It reminds me of a dunk tank, I've looked into those as well and they're not that expensive. Just an idea =]

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of Texas

Add Mermaid~Summer on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidHyli View Post
    It reminds me of a dunk tank, I've looked into those as well and they're not that expensive. Just an idea =]
    I looked at dunk tanks but I want something bigger that I can actually swim in. Plus it's something that I can have in my yard to practice in. I was thinking of possibly having it as a salt water tank and keeping it on a trailer type hitch and having a lid for it for I don't have to constantly empty and refill it. Just some thoughts I have to do more research and see what is actually doable.
    [B][FONT=book antiqua]~Summer[/FONT][/B]

Congrats on your new tank Hyli!
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

The only issue I forsee with keeping it filled is the weight. Plus the weight of the trailer and making sure the trailer can support the tank filled. Not to mention your vehicle for transport. All just little nuggets of knowledge to pass on. Thats why we decided to keep it empty and then have drains installed

Well, not sure how many of us would know the technical details of this kind of idea, but what if we could take a simple above ground pool like this one, http://www.lesliespool.com/-28233EG-...ol/28233EG.htm , and replace several of the sections between the steel barrings with acrylic sheeting?
    Wellawyn (Wella) Elwenna Morgayne

~~The Fire Headed Mermaid~~

Quote Originally Posted by MagickalDJ View Post
    Well, not sure how many of us would know the technical details of this kind of idea, but what if we could take a simple above ground pool like this one, http://www.lesliespool.com/-28233EG-...ol/28233EG.htm , and replace several of the sections between the steel barrings with acrylic sheeting?
    I've been having the same thoughts as storage for a tank would be the main issue over here - there's not much space with most houses lol. I think the engineering of getting the join between the liner and the acrylic is much harder and riskier than you would think at first. the liners are polyester mesh sandwiched between heavy duty pvc, but as soon as you cut it, that becomes a weak-point and water will always go for the weakest point and try to force its way through. I am however, (when I have a spare min) going to contact two companies who make the frame pools and see what they say and/or suggest. From what my aquarium-versed friend said, you would need to pay an engineer to adapt it and the materials costs and chances of failure and parts replacement would set the budget for the project very high.

I also thought it through looking at the designs as many have 'straps' to support and restrain the bulge and attach it to the frame, so doing viewing windows as small 'port-holes' for smaller kids might be the best option if you were going to do this, and I've thought that you could build a segmented wooden frame to make it look nicer, frame the windows if you did them, and to create a set of stairs/ramp to allow people to come up and view from the top and possibly join you in the pool. Main issues here as well would be Health and Safety laws (it's silly over here with them) so I probably would have to pay for the finished tank and design to be deemed safe for public/business use by the HSE(health and safety executive) and/or my local council/fire dept or something.

My friend was certainly steering me towards a plywood and acrylic tank, but that it would have to be build on a trailer or flat bed industrial truck/lorry (not the huge long ones, I'm talking flat bed van type thing) that can carry the weight of the filled tank (we're talking like 9 tonnes)

I am seriously considering doing a kickstarter in a year or two for building a portable professional tank either way, for my own gigs and to have it available for hire as I don't know of any other portable tanks in the UK or perhaps europe. Hire would either have to include the cost of filling it and petrol costs, or the person doing the hiring would be responsible for providing the water lol.
    User previously known as "Kat Arnold".

- Mermaid Lilium Fanpage -
    - Photography Fanpage -

I saw some awesome pictures on mermaid star's fb page! It looks like a giant dunk tank :

https://www.facebook.com/MermaidStarFL?ref=ts&fref=ts

Yes, I believe Star said it's a dunk tank that was altered. I think she said it was either donated for use of the fair or was rented. Pretty cool!

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr