Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Acrylic Mer Tank

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    what about glass coffin
    like the one Blackbeard had Syrena inside in Pirates of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
    Name:  mermaid coffin pirates caribbean prop.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  136.8 KB

Its smaller and more practical that a huge tank and easier to transport. you could even make it a big bigger without it being a huge huge thing
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    Yes, I believe Star said it's a dunk tank that was altered. I think she said it was either donated for use of the fair or was rented. Pretty cool!
    I've been looking at dunk tanks, and the one Star is in is huge compared to what I'm finding. Most are only something like 2' deep and not much wider... Wonder where I'd have to look to find one that big?
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    I just had the weirdest thought--It would require a knowledge of welding, however. What about using two stock tanks, one on top of the other, welded together, with a sheet of thick plexiglass put in on the front side? I say one on top of the other because they're only 2' tall. You'd also have the hassle of cutting out the bottom from one of them. They come in both round and oblong.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    not sure what a dunk tank is, but all I can think of while looking at those pics is, "a pie baking form, and a sardine can? pretty small for swimming"

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I've used a dunk tank I have photos and videos. All too small and impractical

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Crystal Shimmer's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer On Twitter Add Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Tumblr Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Flickr Visit Mermaid Crystal Shimmer's Youtube Channel
    How big does it need to be? I have a dream to perform in a tank on an event, and there's an option to rent a dunk tank. Dimensions are: 450 x 232 x 230 cm
    I just need to know if it's big enough once I own my Finfolk tail =)

If anyone has ever seen "The Lucy Show" with Lucile Ball and Vivian Vance there was an episode where they were installing a shower. They turn the water on and start to flood the shower stall (fiberglass back with glass door) there is a cover over the drain so the water just fills up the shower.

Why couldn't that work?

Shower: http://www.thebathbarnshowroom.com/i...rnershower.jpg

part of lucy show with shower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b39Dy6r1Z0

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel

Acrylic Mer Tank

Well they would have made a special tank-like shower prop for this. Regular shower glass is too thin and might break under the weight of all that water. Also you would have a hard time sealing all the edges.

Sent from my shellphone using Tapatalk

Sina and I have been drawing out plans for a tank - because quite frankly, ordering the very one I want just doesn't seem a prudent move - and I think it's really important to state that one of the things that causes them to fail dangerously is that no one takes into account just how thick your acrylic/lexan/glass needs to be, and just how HEAVY the whole thing is, not only full, but empty as well. I see a LOT of willing to cut corners here, and that's a bit terrifying, honestly, because of what can happen.

So, when trying to mash things together to make a tank for cheap, please try and keep that in mind for your safety - the deeper the water, the more the pressure builds up, the more the pressure builds up, the more likely a sub-par "tank" will fail, which can injure the performer and the audience.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

I agree. Cutting corners means that people can end up injured or dead. Think of what would happen if a tank on a stand bottomed out.. anyone in the tank would be crushed, probably to death and instantly, under the weight of the falling water. Because that's literally tons of lbs worth of water weight. Heck people in the community have almost died from moving an EMPTY tank. I'd recommend for a performing tank to NEVER EVER use glass. Use acrylic that's few-several inches thick. Acrylic at that size is more likely to crack and leak the water out. Glass is more likely to shatter, often suddenly. This is why if you want to build a tank you need to really know what you're doing. There's some serous math involved, and if it doesn't pan out it could mean putting someone's life on the line.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Morticia Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Morticia Mermaid On Twitter Add Morticia Mermaid on Facebook Add Morticia Mermaid on Google+
    Visit Morticia Mermaid's Youtube Channel

Re: Acrylic Mer Tank

I've got plans in the works for a custom "dunk tank" style tank.

Made a friend at an event last year, now my shops personal cook for events, who put me in contact with a friend of theirs at a technical college here in Oregon that specializes in custom/outrageous tanks. He's helping me with plans and construction

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2
    I claim Pat 1001! ~Mermaid Morticia

Mermaid Tails and accessories available at ~ ♥Facebook- Siren's CallingGoogle+Website
    Morticia Mermaid FacebookGoogle+

Follow Morticia Mermaid On Twitter Add Morticia Mermaid on Facebook Add Morticia Mermaid on Google+

By shop I meant ship. As in pirate ship xD

Anyways, my point is if you're REALLY invested in the idea of making a tank, check with your local tech schools or see if anyone locally makes custom tanks. They might be willing to work something out with you and it could help prevent safety issues/risks

Mermaid Tails and accessories available at ~ ♥Facebook- Siren's CallingGoogle+Website

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    How bout a portable swimming pool?

I tried that last year. didn't get many visitors and what kids did visit tried to climb on the sides of the pool to be able to see

How bout one of those giant fish tanks?

I like the second one... You can swim in it!

http://www.okeanosgroup.com/blog/aqu...ome-aquariums/

Quote Originally Posted by ireneho View Post
    How bout one of those giant fish tanks?
    That's what a correctly built mermaid tank essentially is. Except that it's expected to be frequently drained and moved. Giant fish tanks cost giant amounts of money.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی

Oh. Its too bad you can't host it at a local swimming pool. It could work both ways, the pool and you will get more customers, and recognition.

Defeats the purpose of the tank if you're at the pool.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی

Acrylic Mer Tank

My mermaid group has a 25 ft portable pool. The pros are that it's big and people can watch you swim from above. However, since the sides are not clear (and as of yet I've found no way to get a clear pool liner or walls) they do need some sort of step to see up close. If you get them up to the surface of the water you also have to have a way to ensure they won't fall in. In addition, the ground under the pool can get very soupy. It was a workable situation, however. We'd still be using it, but it got left up at a site and destroyed.

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I've tried to find a merdance-compatible solution for me for a while now, although I would be content with a static pool/tank.

There ARE pools made from glass:
    Name:  glaspool1.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  41.0 KB

and also some with only one glass front:
    Name:  glaswandpool2.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  76.3 KB

I've also been looking into aquariums large enough to swim in, but all of these options cost way more than a normal pool (not to mention we don't have the space).