Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to deal with chlorine's negative effects

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    This answers about 90% of everything I've been wondering about! Thank you!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I read somewhere else that if you have a long shower before going to the chlorine pool. The article used some fancy words, but basically, you just soak your hair in fresh water so that your hair follicles won't have space for the chlorine particles.

Quote Originally Posted by ireneho View Post
    I read somewhere else that if you have a long shower before going to the chlorine pool. The article used some fancy words, but basically, you just soak your hair in fresh water so that your hair follicles won't have space for the chlorine particles.
    Yup! That's actually listed in the thread as well as the thread that I linked to about hair that Little Orca wrote

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Oh i must've missed that!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    HEY THERE LISTEN UP TO A GREAT NEW TIP

My doc told me that iodine is a natural cholorine inhibitor. If you can ingest iodine rich foods or an iodine supplement the day before and the day of a gig, it will help your liver process and get rid of any chlorine that gets absorbed, and also prevent chlorine from being absorbed! I was getting my liver checked and there were a few issues and it came up... lol YOU CAN GET ENOUGH OF IT FROM ONE SERVING OF KELP I KID YOU NOT. MY DOCTOR TOLD ME, THE MERMAID, TO EAT KELP BEFORE GIGS. LOL

Oh... So this must explain the bare seaweed beds... You've eaten it all!!

Fresh kelp seaweed can be made into a soup. My Grandma used to make Seaweed Soup, it was my fave soup of her cooking recipes.

Hey, if you don't like eating fresh kelp seaweed, can go to an Asian grocery shop and buy a packet of dried seaweed. It comes in sheets or loose dried bits. The bits are for cooking, don't eat it like that cos they taste funny. The seaweed sheets tastes the same as the seaweed you get on sushi. They can be eaten as a snack, added to noodles, rice etc.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 01-30-2014 at 07:21 PM.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Great, I love kelp.
    But I didn't know the body absorbed chlorine? Is it bad for the liver? O_o
    the horror!

yeah chlorine is carcinogenic.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Ack! More carcinogens!

...I guess it's a good thing I love seaweed so much. I have 8 different kinds of seaweed to eat just stashed all over the house... Including some kelp granules I bought in bulk at my grocery store. I'll just stick that in a shaker and put it on everything.

How much did your doc recommend as a serving of kelp?

OM NOM seaweed soup!

OOH! I also wonder if my ocean mineral drops contain iodine? I bet they do. Yes, I am totally weird and have a bottle of concentrated seawater... stuff... to put in my water. I LOVEEE IT.

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

NICE! Hahaha, that is the best Also Trader Joes carries seaweed snacks, in original and wasabi flavor. Both are sooooo yummy! I eat them like potato chips they're so addicting!
    If you don't mind me snatching your info Raina, I'll add it into the main topic

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    yeah chlorine is carcinogenic.
    Seems it's not just the water absorbed through the skin, but it also eventually saturates the air.
    So that's why my mother's asthma becomes really bad after swimming in indoor pools!

Usually I spend around 6 hours per week in chlorinated water...

I take all precautions of course, and I avoid pools which smell bad (the harmful substances develop when chlorine comes in contact with urine, sweat and make-up), but sometimes parents bring their infants into the deep pools no matter what, and a certain type of heavily made-up, perfumed lady never showers :/

Guess I'll have to significantly cut down on water time

Fun fact, tap water that you drink, and the water you bathe and shower in also have it in it. It's not as "safe" as people like to believe. When you heat it up, even in shower and baths, that means it's going into the air and you're breathing it in as a gas. That's why some people with sensitivities (skin, lungs, or other internal works) get filters that filter it out, and are sure to get special ones that do that for bath and shower taps too. I'm just really grateful that I can deal with it, and therefore can handle pools! It's still not good for you though :/ I've heard that people can develop asthma from swimming in pools too often (like competition swimmers)

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Guess I'll have to start stocking up and taking kelp tabs. It doesn't smell that bad at the swim centre that I go to. Usually I know if I can smell it from outside when the doors open/close, I know its not the place I want to swim in.

In some countries, they drink processed and filtered toilet water. They say its pure and has no chlorine. But just the thought of drinking recycled poo water, even though its clean poo water, is just too much for me!
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 01-30-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyu View Post
    Ack! More carcinogens!

How much did your doc recommend as a serving of kelp?
    A bed of kelp a day, keeps the mer doctor away.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    Fun fact, tap water that you drink, and the water you bathe and shower in also have it in it. It's not as "safe" as people like to believe. When you heat it up, even in shower and baths, that means it's going into the air and you're breathing it in as a gas.
    ye, but not everywhere I hope?
    Usually that's done in warm countries where only with chlorine the germs can be exterminated from tap water.

Still, it's pretty scary to learn trichloramines are so dangerous.
    Especially when there's so many people around here who don't shower, piss into the pool in plain sight, and the guards say nothing
    (in fact, the guard came over and forbade my mother asking other "guests" why they wouldn't shower, and pointing out where the toilets were after catching them peeing in at the pool ladder
    this makes me SO loathe having to go to public pools! ).

no we're freezing up here and chlorine is in all the water and fluoride.

My pool has special dye in it. If anyone does their business in it, the water changes color and is easy to spot!

Quote Originally Posted by ireneho View Post
    My pool has special dye in it. If anyone does their business in it, the water changes color and is easy to spot!
    I've heard this lots of times before....but.....http://www.snopes.com/science/poolpiss.asp

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Kae View Post
    I've heard this lots of times before....but.....http://www.snopes.com/science/poolpiss.asp
    Maybe this DID exist way back...and once pools applied it and found 99% of all visitors would piss in the pool, they realized they'd be out of business (pun unintended) if they threw all pee'ers out,
    so opted instead for not using the indicator.
    After all, ignorance is bliss

I'm gonna start incorporating kelp into my diet. This is freaking disturbing..