Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to deal with chlorine's negative effects

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    ever see the south park episode about the peeing in the waterpark?! lmao

Speaking of water parks & pee. I just had to post this prank video

ooooopss Time to get back on topic. But then maybe pee absorbs pool chlorine? Might protect your hair
    Last edited by AptaMer; 01-30-2014 at 11:53 PM.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    On the subject of kelp: http://www.seaveg.com/shop/mcsv_pro_guide.pdf

Edit: Holy Sea Cow, reading through this paper in-depth is fascinating! Kelp is helpful against so many bad things! Cancer, HIV, herpes virus... Ok so now I have an excuse to put seaweed on everything!
    Last edited by Miyu; 02-02-2014 at 02:59 PM.

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Thought I'd post a pic of the types of seaweed I eat, so other people know which ones to get that can be eaten straight from the packet. There are other types of seaweed too that can be eaten, but it requires cooking, and as far as I know not every Westerner loves eating seaweed, well except for Miyu...

Asian groceries sell seaweed soup packets. Usually have a mix of different types of seaweed in it, instead of the usual kelp. For extra flavor you can add pork bones and or beef, chicken whatever meat you like eating. Boil until meat is cooked. The seaweed will be so soft, it melts in your mouth.

Oh and if you decide to collect it yourself from the beach, make sure to rinse it well before eating. I know some of the kelp can be eaten raw. Which is what these edible ones are that I've shown.

This one comes in the packet as a dried product. You soak it in hot water for a few minutes, strain and rinse it, and its ready to eat.
    One thing to note, do no be fooled by the dried up bits! I did this the first time, I took a handful, prepared it and ended up with one big bowl of seaweed!!
    A few bits, like a kid's handful is enough for one person.
    The stems are quite tough, but you can sort it out after you've softened it with hot water.
    I eat it with a light sprinkling of salt. Tried chilli sauce with it the other day, not so nice! (where's the puking smiley?)
    Name:  chungjungwon seaweed.jpg
Views: 2892
Size:  10.9 KB

Here's how it looks after you prepared it.
    Name:  chungjungwon_seaweed.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  12.3 KB

Here's another one I like eating... No preparation needed. Just open and eat!
    Name:  roasted seaweed sheets.jpg
Views: 5255
Size:  24.4 KB

It also comes in big sheets but plain flavored. Its used to make sushi rolls.
    Name:  YAKI_SUSHI_NORI_.jpg
Views: 3519
Size:  81.4 KB

And the last one, Roasted Seaweed with Sesame Seeds. It has a very mild spicy taste. It can be eaten by itself or added to soups and noodles.
    Name:  roasted_seaweed_sesame.jpg
Views: 3816
Size:  51.2 KB
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 03-24-2014 at 08:34 PM.

I went swimming last night in a chlorinated pools, and boy, my eyes were as red as a tomato! As soon as I got out I rinsed my eyes out with fresh water, which helped the redness a little bit. Then I rinsed with my contact solution, which worked MARVELOUS! I use BioTrue. But my eyes feel a little bothered today (the morning after). I'm not sure what to do besides continue to clean with BioTrue.

I just read a great interview http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/...ew-transcript/ really good tips there I have noticed drastic difference in my skin this past year since being in the pool so much. I'm going to up my vitamin c and e and antioxidants for sure.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel

How to deal with chlorine's negative effects

Ooh I'm taking note!

Sent from my shellphone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MerHopefully View Post
    Ooh I'm taking note!

Sent from my shellphone using Tapatalk
    Me too! I'll have a 'pool day' vitamin regimen, ha ha.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

I went out and got genteal eye gel too and holy cow it helped me so well!!!!

Awesome! I'm glad he hrs of digging I did on Model Mayhem to find some of these tips are helping people

Just remember, as in the original post, that if you use eye rinse mid-swim be sure to re apply the gel before you go back in. Otherwise you just rinsed off your protective barrier on your now irritated eyes, and it hurts worse getting back in.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Bumping because I added a bit in the eye section about anti inflammatory drops and eye safety.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

This is a great thread! I've been gone too long. lol
    I knew eye lube would work. We use it when doing surgeries on cats (all animals and probably humans), but I never knew where to get some.
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

it's so great

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    Chlorine is acidic, so it makes sense that to neutralize this a base such as baking soda would be effective. Some members vouch for this method in increasing longevity of their tails. This method should be used immediately after (within 24 hours) swimming in chlorinated water. For a rinse you can fill a bucket or other container with water and mix in baking soda, then pour it over/in your tail- then rinse with fresh water. For a soak, you can fill a container (many use their tub for tails that are large and can't be folded, for fabric tails a bucket may work fine) with water and stir in baking soda then place your tail in the water making sure to cover as much of it as possible. You may want to use something as a weight to keep the material of the tail fully submerged. Some use also place their accessories, swim wear, and other equipment in the bath along with the tail to care for those items as well. How long you leave it is up to you- most do either a few hours or let it soak over night. The ratio of baking soda to water hasn't been established- most just use their best judgment. However baking soda is a very benign substance- I imagine it would be hard to "over do it" to the point of any kind of damage. Just be sure there isn't so much that it doesn't dissolve in the water. Be sure to rinse with fresh water after then dry.
    I have already tried this, and it must work, because when my tail dried it was absolutely free of chlorine odor.

Regarding the proportion, you only need a bit of baking soda per gallon of water. Water has a pH of 7, and no tampon capacity, so you only need a bit of an alkaline substance to turn the water pH in alkaline. Hubby is a chemist, and suggested about 2 spoonfulls (soup spoon or tablespoon) of baking soda per gallon of water. I left my tail there for about 30 minutes, rinsed it and when dry was free of chlorine odor.

I am invested in knowing precisely how much do I need, so I will take my baking soda to the lab I work on and try the measurements with a pH meter (I will probably do it in the Summer, because there will be less people around and less work). I'll let you know as soon as I do.

Also, regarding the iodine, one must be careful with that, specially if one has Graves' disease (hyperthyroidism). Iodine is not good for all people in all circumstances.

ETA: I just found out about this: http://science.howstuffworks.com/inn...uestion652.htm

My pool pH is normally around 7.2-7.4. The have a panel with this info at the entrance.
    Last edited by Talia; 04-25-2014 at 01:27 PM.

I was thinking yesterday... What if I wear 4 hour waterproof sunscreen, will that stop the chlorine smell from getting infused into my skin?

Fun fact: sunscreen isn't actually waterproof and after SPF 15 the protection only increases by something super small like .ooo1 of a percent. For my education and training we took workshops on sun safety. Turns out that is all marketing stuff and the difference between SPF 15 and spf30 isn't much. The big difference comes from sunscreen vs sunblock. Block protects better.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Oh. Guess I'll have to live with Eau De Chlorine.

Came across this somewhat scary article from Australia about toxicity from overchlorinated pools.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sp...-1226899659931

What do you guys think?

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AptaMer View Post
    Came across this somewhat scary article from Australia about toxicity from overchlorinated pools.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sp...-1226899659931

What do you guys think?
    I had high copper levels as a teen, due to swimming 2-3 times a week. It wasn't into the level of toxicity, but it was well above what it should have been. The article tries to debunk hair analysis, but that's how I found out, and I felt so much better after the detox when the level of copper in my hair was reduced to normal... so take from that what you will.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

So can I use eye gel stuff with contacts and safely open my eyes underwater?

✨The MerArtist✨
    Using Tapatalk