Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Butts/Mermaid Parties Refund?

Atalantic Ocean, Northeaster border of the USA

Question Fish Butts/Mermaid Parties Refund?

Hey all you mers out there, I'm sure anyone who is familiar with Fish Butts knows that Stevi is now offering full refunds to those orders that haven't been completed yet. I, personally, am one of those customers! I ordered my tail on October 15th and I STILL HAVE YET TO GET AN UPDATE. And it's not like I'm just sitting back glaring at my computer, I've asked SEVERAL times for ANY info on my tail, both from Rose and Stevi. I've asked probably a totaly of 5-6 times over comments, messages, and posts. I even emailed once and never got a reply back.

Now I'm not talking bad about Stevi, she seems like a terribly nice person and has been through very rough times, but I'm seriously getting agitated. OCTOBER 15TH. That's roughly 19 weeks, and I know that some people have waited even LONGER with no update. As a matter of fact, Stevi promised me that my tail would be ready by Christmas vacation when my family and I were going to Florida for vacation. No such luck. Again, personal problems, but it seems that has become the excuse for everything. Your personal life should not be involved with your work.

I chose Fish Butts because they provided surprisingly high quality tails for cheap prices. I was a loyal customer and waited for a loooong time for my tail, but recently I have been reading many bad reveiws.

So...should I ask for a refund or just hope for the best? I did purchase a sillicone upgrade so I paid $330 overall (seriously though, where can you get a partial sillicone for $330?).

I would have gotten the refund by now, but I'm afraid that it will be so long before I can afford another tail. I'm only a freshman in HS and am too young to have a job yet, and the cheapest partial sillicone tail made by a trusted company I can find is $900-$100.

Your opinions? On Fish Butts, on Stevi's tails, or on other companys to check out? I love the idea of Merbellas tail, but again, $1,000.

Have a bubbly day! <3

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    it's really up to you. There's a few discussions on this already going on. Honestly, people always want something great for the cheapest price and I think if you want something that's going to last you gotta be willing to invest, and know that when you buy something cheap it's only going to last for so long.

Quite a few people seem interested in taking the refund which might be the easiest choice, it's nice that you're so understanding about it.

I see you just joined, it would be great if you went into the introduction thread and introduced yourself. =)

Just did!(: I've read some of the threads, but it seems they are all older teens-adults who can save up for a better quality tail, while for me it would take at least 2 years :l. I keep going back and forth and back and forth- sometimes I feel like I will regret not talking my money back and sometimes I feel like I will regret not getting my tail! 0.o

You can wait, just be advised that your wait may take a while.
    Stevi is trying to get back on emails now so she should be answering more often than she's been
    getting to.

Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

I'd say wait, she'll get to it eventually (I'm assuming here, because well if you paid her, it will eventually be done), if that's your time schedule of money raising, wait, more than not, you'll get your fish butts tail before you'd get something else. Just my opinion, that and although with all the drama, I'm in love with my partial silicone and I swim in it 2+ times a week, sometimes 4 (I know, I need to get my hands on a full silicone one soon), and it's been holding up really really well. If I knew then what I knew now and knew it would be that long of a wait, I would still wait. Do you have a monofin to practice in to make the time go by faster?
    "It is your choice to hide in a shell, or to be shrimply fintastic by being yourself"
    www.mermaidharmony.com
    MermaidHarmony@gmail.com Facebook:Mermaid Harmony Twitter: @MermaidHarmony

What is your first choice tail if you were to wait the two years? How much of a difference is there between a Fish Butts one and the 2-year wait one? If you want both (do you want both, or are you just happy to have one for a long time?), how long will it take to start saving up again after you receive your Fish Butts one? If you just want the one - I would say go for a tail that is known to last longer.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Hamant's Avatar
    I am in the same boat as you! I am going to wait for my tail. I have waited this long, what is a little more time? It looks like Stevie is getting back on track now, and has said that she is going to start doing updates again soon. Here's hoping!

Yup, I have a Finis Wave (same as in my Fish Butts, I bought it for my fabric tail) that I'm glad I didn't send into Stevi to put in my tail!(: Now my sister can mermaid with me (she loves it but won't admit it lol).

Yup I knows, she posts about it on facebook(: Glad she's finally getting back on track, I was really getting worried about her!

Yup, people's replys having started to make me feel better about my decision to keep waiting(: Good luck to you!

My first choice tail would be a Merbella's Classic tail (I think it's called a classic), which is $1,000 which would mean 2+ year saving up time. After I get my Fish Butts...well I only have $30 right now so...only $1,970 more to go!(;

How come a lot of the replies are gone?

They were moved into the drama thread because people kept getting off topic and getting , and all sorts of and getting on their , and eventually a few people were like hey, this is getting out of hand and I feel like, , so they decided to to a new place. So now everyone can and respond appropriately to the topic at hand. That and so I could make this cool post with all sorts of smileys that I've never used before.
    "It is your choice to hide in a shell, or to be shrimply fintastic by being yourself"
    www.mermaidharmony.com

Gotcha.
    So many smileys!

Should I seek some kind of compensation since she is offering refunds?

Compared to most other tail makers, I know that I really didn't pay very much ($230 for tail, +$100 for Silicone upgrade). However, there were many blatant errors in my tail including a paint job inconsistent to my specifications (even when she was contacted to correct them after viewing an update), missing patches of silicone, smeared scales, and imbedded dog hairs.

I really am proud of my tail, it functions beautifully, and I tried to be very patient with the rather drawn out process by which it was obtained; by no means do I wish to bash Stephanie or her work. Many times I have gone over her Facebook page and been amazed by her artistic mastery at such a reasonable price.

However, I feel as if she did not put as much effort into my tail as with others. It is sad to see her personal life so affect her work as to give people a negative impression of her, but is it wrong of me to feel mistreated? Should I seek some form of compensation?

I attempted to contact Stephanie and she told me to fix the issues myself, but I feel as though that defeats the purpose of hiring an artist to do create things for you.

I have contacted other tail makers as well to ask if they can make the corrections, but the price they charge is practically that of purchasing a second tail, which I cannot afford.

This is not meant to stir up trouble, I would just like some objective advice.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Follow Mermaid Melusinah On Twitter Add Mermaid Melusinah on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Melusinah's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidKatia View Post

Compared to most other tail makers, I know that I really didn't pay very much ($230 for tail, +$100 for Silicone upgrade). However, there were many blatant errors in my tail including a paint job inconsistent to my specifications (even when she was contacted to correct them after viewing an update), missing patches of silicone, smeared scales, and imbedded dog hairs.

I really am proud of my tail, it functions beautifully, and I tried to be very patient with the rather drawn out process by which it was obtained; by no means do I wish to bash Stephanie or her work. Many times I have gone over her Facebook page and been amazed by her artistic mastery at such a reasonable price.

However, I feel as if she did not put as much effort into my tail as with others. It is sad to see her personal life so affect her work as to give people a negative impression of her, but is it wrong of me to feel mistreated? Should I seek some form of compensation?

I attempted to contact Stephanie and she told me to fix the issues myself, but I feel as though that defeats the purpose of hiring an artist to do create things for you.

I have contacted other tail makers as well to ask if they can make the corrections, but the price they charge is practically that of purchasing a second tail, which I cannot afford.

If you feel like you were very wronged in your tail experience, I mean you could think requesting about SOME sort of compensation. Though to be 100% honest, I wouldnt get your hopes too high for it. I get the vibes that she is offering compensation/refunds to people that have NOT received tails. the fact that you have your tail, as imperfect as it is, leads me to believe that she wont give you anything. :/ If you feel you should get at least some thing back (if it were me, I would feel the same and want at least 1/2 my money back for half of what we pay some one is simply for their work) then by all means seek it and do so with gusto. But try not to get super hoped for it. I am really sorry that this happened to so many people *hugs*

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidKatia View Post

Objectively, there really doesn't seem to be an easy answer when you look at it from both Stephanie's end and yours. However, in my opinion the beginning of your 2nd and 3rd statement solves your dilemma, if those statements are really how you feel. In many cases when you're paying for something that Should cost a good amount of money at a dirt cheap price, you are taking a gamble. Your situation could be considered a case of ''you get what you pay for". Another thing to consider too, is that the refund is being offered for tails not made/shipped/used yet ( materials and time it takes to make a tail isnt wasted if she offers the refund BEFORE starting those tails and if she already started, she could probably salvage that material somehow) and yours has already been in your possession for awhile i gather, and been used.

This could be a great opportunity for you to try your hand at being crafty and fix them yourself OR you could pay someone to fix it. yes, it may be more money out of your pocket, but consider that the tail could be used to earn that money (by getting small gigs, maybe with a casual crowd like friends or family) and was so cheap in the first place (cheap being used lightly...but accurate for mermaid tails), it might end up balancing itself out in the end and put a lil extra $$ in your pocket . Still, you certainly have the right to feel mistreated if the product you asked for is not what you got and you're now stuck with it, BUT, if it "functions beautifully" and your ARE proud of it like you said; asking for compensation now is crossing a bit into murky waters and might be more trouble than its really worth for you. So, i say put that tail to use and next time pay the extra cash to get that tail you KNOW you will be completely happy with.

I'm with Nyxie on this one. You have your tail and it fits you well. There are patches and dog hair, but it swims well. You are not going to receive compensation because it's how it turned out, I think it's similar to when people bought Latex tails from her or the mertailor and they started falling apart, and people were like... "hey.." but it was just the product itself. This is a different situation, but I'm 98% sure you're not going to be able to get a refund or anything. Like Nyxie said, do some parties or fun things and you can use that money to save up for another tail, but you have one now which is exciting. I'm sorry you were disappointed in your tail however. I haven't seen your review yet for your tail on the review section, would you be willing to post that with pictures? Thanks!
    www.mermaidharmony.com

OH MY!! i just saw your 1st swim video!!! and let me tell you girl, that tail was GORGEOUS!! and those kids were loving it!!! I WAS LOVING IT!! that sweet little girl almost drowned herself trying to get close to you and that sweet lil one with the mermaid barbies made me cry...that was truly an awesome vid mermaidkatia...i'm looking forward to more of them

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Harmony View Post
    They were moved into the drama thread because people kept getting off topic and getting , and all sorts of and getting on their , and eventually a few people were like hey, this is getting out of hand and I feel like, , so they decided to to a new place. So now everyone can and respond appropriately to the topic at hand. That and so I could make this cool post with all sorts of smileys that I've never used before.
    Lol I may be one of the people you're talking about in this message but I still find it hilarious.
    I usually don't like smileys but this time.. This time... Haha :'P
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook