Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair Care help

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MerAnthony's Avatar
    Add MerAnthony on Facebook

Hair Care help

I am not to sure about other mermen on here but I have long hair that reaches to the middle of my back, but I have a question an hopefuly some mer can help. To start my hair is on the fine side an loose curls when dry. But when I wash it ,an it never fails that it get MAJOR tangles an when I try to brush it out and when I do I take hair with the brush. Sometimes a little an sometimes alot. I would like to prevent that from happening. I have tried alot of different types of shampoo and condistioner and even some 2&1 mix. Nothing has seemed to work. So what would you suggest I used or try? I am open to all suggestions.
    Be Happy Swim Free

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    You might want to try combs instead of brushing. Brushes tend to cause more breakage. Start combing/brushing at the bottom of your hair, gradually moving to the top, and don't force it.

My hair is also on the finer side with a bit of curl to it, and it tangles a lot. I've found that a bit of coconut oil helps to smooth things out a bit and stay more manageable. I've also switched from using shampoo and conditioner to water with some vinegar every once in a while, and I've found my tangles aren't so bad and the texture's much better, but that can be difficult to transition to.

What's your current routine?

I was my hair every 3 days. I was told this by a beautician because everyday an even every other day could cause damage to the hair an it lets the natural oils replenish to the hair. But other than that I really don't have a routine for washing my hair other than evey 3rd day. What does the vinegar do?
    Be Happy Swim Free

It helps to remove build up for me. I used to do the baking soda and vinegar rinses, but the baking soda was making my texture funny and not doing much. I can go a couple weeks washing with just water every couple days, but it still gets a little funny after a bit, so vinegar helps. I don't know if it would help your hair in addition to what you're doing now, but it's good for me. I used to feel like I had to use a ton of conditioner to keep my hair from tangling so much, but it really weighed it down. I kinda like my more hands off routine now.

I don't know much about the ingredients of shampoos and conditioners, but maybe you need to find one that your hair likes. For example, some people talk about their hair liking products with silicones, but others hate it.

I find it interesting that the beautician told you that bit about the natural oils. My hubby used to wash his hair every day because it was so oily and flaky. Since we got married (and his mom isn't there to pester him to do it every day) he's gotten into an every three days or so routine, and his hair's gotten a lot less problematic. It's funny how sometimes being a bit lazy can pay off, though I'm not going to put it that way to him

DUDE! I have the miracle solution.
    Name:  biona-coconut-oil.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  9.9 KB
    COCONUT OIL! I F*CKING LOVE THAT SH*T!
    CHECK IT OUT, MOTHERF*CKING COCONUT OIL. IS THE B*TCHIN'EST SH*T YOUVE EVER HEARD OF.
    DONT BELIEVE ME? SLAP SOME OF THAT GOODNESS IN YOUR HAIR NEXT TIME YOURE TAKING A SHOWER.
    BUT DO THAT SH*T BEFORE YOU WASH YOUR HAIR. HOW? SIMPLE AS PIE, THATS HOW. YOU JUST PLOP
    SOME RIGHT IN
    YOUR HAIR! HOW MUCH YOU ASK? WELL COCONUT OIL IS SO MOTHERF*CKING RIGHTEOUS
    AT WHAT IT DOES, YOU ONLY NEED ABOUT TWO QUARTERS WORTH!
    B*TCHIN!!!
    GET THAT STUFF ALL UP IN YOUR SCALP AND DONT FORGET THE ENDS OF YOUR HAIR TOO! NOW I KNOW WHAT
    YOURE THINKING "KANTI THIS DOESNT FEEL LIKE ANYTHING IS HAPPENING". HOLD YOUR HORSES ART TAKES
    TIME, AND COCONUT OIL IS PAINTING YOUR HAIR INTO THE MAGNIFICENT MANE YOU DESERVE YOU JUST NEED
    TO CHILL THE F*CK OUT FOR A SECOND.
    KEEP IT IN YOUR HAIR FOR A MINUTE OR SO AND THEN WASH AND RINSE YOUR HAIR LIKE YOU ALWAYS DO.
    USE SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER, DONT WORRY ABOUT WASHING IT OUT, COCONUT OIL ONLY NEEDS A SECOND
    TO DO ITS THING ON YOUR HAIR. ITS LIKE A MOTHERF*CKING NINJA. A NINJA THAT GETS SH*T DONE.

</crazy>
    Coconut oil
    is great for your hair! I've only just started using it and I notice my hair not only dries a lot easier than
    before, but it used to frizz up a lot and now it virtually has none anymore. My hair usually doesn't tangle so I only
    brush it once a day when I wake up and when I take a shower, and usually I get lots of tangles since it's been hours
    inbetween bruses, but now it doesn't get tangled very much at all.

Incase the directions above weren't clear or someone didn't like reading them xD
    Just put it in your hair before you wash your hair out. Your hair being dirty helps the oil get in deeper and you generally
    want to wash the majority of it out afte
    r since overly-oily hair is never a good thing. It's hard to get a feel for the oil when
    it's in watery form, so you might not think that it's spreading but it does. Put some on the ends of your hair and the
    scalp and then generally swish it around in the middle. Then just wash and rinse as you normally do. Conditioner is always
    a nice touch.

Some science behind coconut oil is that it's very readily absorbed into your skin and hair so it gets DEEP into the core of
    your hair fibers and actually helps your conditioner soak in better. It helps seal your hair from frizz which may also be
    what's making it so tangled.
    ALSO GET THE EXTRA VIRGIN! It's a bit more money but it works the best. Normal coconut oil works fine too.
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Kanti thank you. I'll have to try this an see what it does.
    Be Happy Swim Free

Haha no prob.
    I hope it works!

If not maybe a special shampoo for damaged or tangled hair?
    I know whenever I go to the beach or a pool I usually bring some conditioner with me to help
    with my hair. Chlorine and seawater can really mess with your hair so it's nice to prevent whatever
    you can.

Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

I wish there was a like button so I could like that post about the coconut oil. It truly is the most amazing stuff. I love it for everything.

Yea I saw that you mentioned it too!

Do you think it helps with tangles? It definitely helps my hair with frizz. Ever since I used it it's
    almost non-existant so it's great for that! But like I said, I dont usually get tangled hair so I'm
    not sure how much it effects that.

Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

It doesn't get rid of all my tangles, but it helps a lot. Without it I have to wear it up because it tangles constantly. Lately I've actually been wearing my hair down because it's manageable and doesn't look like my rats live in it. It's good for my frizz too, though I have to be careful that I don't put too much on at a time, especially at my scalp. Since I don't use shampoo anymore, it takes two washes or so to get the excess out, and that's not much fun.

Also the extra virgin oil smells delicious.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania OceanRose's Avatar
    I wash with only conditioner, which gives my normally quite fine hair more managability - as if I have product in it.
    Apparently, conditioners have mild shampooing agents in them anyway - so I heard. You just have to kinda scrub it in your scalp, to loosen oil which normally the shampoo would take care of easier.

Rinsing with beer is great too, for a nice shine :-)

Just - if you try the conditioner only washing, make sure you get non-silicone (anything in the ingredients with 'cone' on the end of it). Because these coat the hair too much in my experience, and the hair looks greasy.

With this method, I've noticed that I get hardly any hair loss.
    It takes a little while to get used to though, and experimentation with what conditioners work best for your hair.

Best of luck!
    And .. cool news about the coconut oil! I tried it as a mask but didn't like it lol. I'll try the quicker method, thanks Kanti

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod
    Yay long hair!!!
    Mines long a curly and kinda fine, but I have a TON OF IT. It used to tangle like crazy, until the gal who cuts my hair mentioned how dry it was. I use Redken All Soft and Moroccan oil afterwards. Will be trying coconut oil tho- I've heard so many great things!
    Formerly known as NikkiLee

I let my hair grow long (down to my shoulders) last year. My mermate decided she likes it, so now I'm stuck with it for a while. To tell the truth, at my age, I'm just glad to have hair.
    Alveric

For my novel, The Accidental Mermaid, go to http://mermaidsofxanadu.com/
    Coming in 2014: ​Spindrift

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Traveling Merman's Avatar

Hair Care help

Coconut oil is good, I've got a bottle of Moroccan oil here..... Does anybody want it? It doesn't work (define&shine) on curly hair! My best advice is I only use conditioner due to my curly hair but I never buy the same conditioner twice I rotate usually with brands as a brand will build up its own product on your hair shaft and follicle and eventually your hair is heavier and coarse (at least mine goes like that!) then when you finally swap brands the product removes all the old build up and your hair goes all soft and manageable again!
    Travelling Merman

Take care of Hair

Well, i think This may cause if you don't take care your hair as well.I think you need to get some tips for taking good care your hair.I see you open for any suggestion so i think this may help you.
    Here is some tips for taking care your hair...
    Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  72.5 KB
    >Get your hair really wet.
    >Use a small amount of shampoo.Too much shampoo can affect on your hair and also use conditioner regularly.
    >You can also massage the shampoo on your scalp.Don't do soo hard.
    >You have to rinse your hair really well
    >Carefull when you dry your hair with towel.
    Those small tips can make strong your hair. I was giving what i know tips about Taking care of Hair.
    Hope this help you.

I'm not sure if anyone has said this, but I find that detangling with a comb in the shower while my hair is wet and has a hair butter or conditioner in it works amazingly! I honestly get most of my tangles from shampooing, so this takes care of them.

Here's a link to the hair butter I use- http://www.ulta.com/quenching-coconu...mpprod11731441
    (It's just like a conditioner. I use it on top of conditioner because I have quite dry wavy/curly hair so I need that extra moisture)

Hope this helped!

I work as a cosmetologist in a retirement community when a client says they have a hair los problem i always recommend vitamins they normally say it takes about 3 months but it doesnt make it grow faster it grows healthier also its normal for hair to fall out everyday hair normally grows about 5 years i think then it comes out of the hair shaft also for the tangling i the tips above are great

Sent from my LGLS676 using MerNetwork mobile app

Stop using 2-in-1 hair wash products. They're usually garbage and targeted towards men with short hair. I personally find that coconut oil is too heavy for my hair and makes it kind of waxy, even when I only use a little. I opted for using olive-oil based products instead and they work wonders. (An olive-oil based leave-in conditioner as well as a hair serum.) Also, stay away from shampoos and conditioners that claim to repair damage. Damaged hair cannot be fixed and can only be cured by trimming, and repairing products usually have bonding chemicals that do more harm than good. Look instead for moisturizing products. Don't be afraid to use feminine products, ladies are more often the ones with long hair so a lot of the good products are aimed at us. (And hair is hair, being a man won't make it work different.)

Also, DON'T wash your hair daily. Two to three times per week is all most people need, too many washes strip your hair of it's natural oils and makes it more prone to damage and therefore tangling. Don't brush wet hair, don't blow dry unless you absolutely have to. That also damages hair.

My personal favorite shampoo and conditioner set is this:
    Name:  055.JPG
Views: 254
Size:  154.2 KB
    It makes my hair soft and I don't have much problem with tangling. I also love the smell, it actually smells like the ocean which is great in my opinion. The leave in conditioner and hair serum just keep fly-aways down and make my hair shiny.

Edit: I just now realized this thread is over four years old, why would you bump this?
    Last edited by BlueCorvidae; 10-08-2017 at 08:28 PM. Reason: In post.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

At what point does men's hair become long enough to switch over to a separate shampoo and conditioner? Right now my hair is about 5-6 inches long on top, and a normal length on the sides. When I got my hair cut, the lady suggested I stick with a 2-1 because it helps manage the oil in my hair. I've been shampooing every 2-3 days or so, or rinsing with hot water every other day are so, all while combing it. I have really fine, long hair. It sticks out everywhere unless I put product in it, at which point it proceeds to lose any sense of volume.
    Proud Merman, Eaglescout, DIYer, and lover of nature

Senior Member Pod of New England MermanJamie's Avatar
    Yeah, I have pretty short length hair, but it's longer than most other guys. My hair has a really rough, coarse texture from when I used to tug on it as a habit when my hair was longer. I'm honestly not sure if there's anything I can do to fix that. But my hair is wavy in most parts and has a few parts where it curls a little. I always have a ton of knots in the morning, and have to comb through all of them. It's pretty annoying.