Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NO Mermaid tails allowed !!!!!

Angry NO Mermaid tails allowed !!!!!

How do you find a pool that allows mer fins? I got kicked out of a pool half way through my workout yesterday. Totally put a damper on my day. I know I'm not the only one. Stupid life guards...ggrrr
    May your sea adventures be sweet!

Ugh, I know, it's hard. YMCA's don't allow it I know but I have a local pool that's very lax because they don't make much money (they'll take what guests they can get) and they'll probably allow it once I get a tail but I'm not for sure. A lot of hotel pools allow it. Just call around and make sure to tell them that a monofin is used by professionals and for workouts, they it assists you to swim, that you're a strong, capable swimmer, et cetera.

Its not the usual one that I go to . Mine just happened to be closed that day and I needed some water. It just shocked me where said I can have flippers but not a mermaid tail . Totally racist foot flopper

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MerAnthony's Avatar
    Add MerAnthony on Facebook
    I have a YMCA that allows tails and monofins, that's weird that yours said no. That was one of the first questions I asked about the pool. An they said that it was fine and had no problem with it. The people an the life guards said it was cool.
    Be Happy Swim Free

It's hard to have a standard, sensible policy about something that's still unfamiliar to most people, therefor the inconsistent hodgepodge of rules. As people in general become more familiar and more comfortable with swimmers wearing monofins and tails, things ought to improve. (Of course, on the other hand, logic doesn't always win.)
    Alveric

For my novel, The Accidental Mermaid, go to http://mermaidsofxanadu.com/
    Coming in 2014: ​Spindrift

Quote Originally Posted by Alveric View Post
    It's hard to have a standard, sensible policy about something that's still unfamiliar to most people, therefor the inconsistent hodgepodge of rules. As people in general become more familiar and more comfortable with swimmers wearing monofins and tails, things ought to improve. (Of course, on the other hand, logic doesn't always win.)
    So very true. Like up at a local camp site where my gf's aunt lives they say that it is ok to swim in a tail and fins and what have you, but I also went to a state camp site for a few days, an they said no because they considered monofins and tails to be underwater apparatus for diving. Go figure
    Be Happy Swim Free

Quote Originally Posted by MerAnthony View Post
    I have a YMCA that allows tails and monofins, that's weird that yours said no. That was one of the first questions I asked about the pool. An they said that it was fine and had no problem with it. The people an the life guards said it was cool.
    What really?! It says so on the main Y site I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Alveric View Post
    This
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

The attendant at the door and locker room saw me holding my monofin. When I was sitting on the deep side of the pool putting my monofin on the life guard asked me to take my socks off but that I could wear it. Giving me a new blister and a few slips Then halfway through my workout he said it was to busy when I had been swimming with kids the whole time.it was an indoor all year round pool.

Name:  YMCA 012.JPG
Views: 8852
Size:  442.1 KBEmma that depends on what Y site you go on. I live in upstate NY in Amsterdam an I went to the Y in johnstown. It's a new place an when I called for prices I asked if I could use a monofin there? An they said that it was ok to use in the pool.
    Be Happy Swim Free

I'm still working on my fabric tail. Can't wait to swim in it!

There was a bit on places banning mermaiding in this thread. Basically my input is to go to the manager or the lifegaurds and educate them as to why your tail is a swim AID and piece of water equipment, not a swim hindrance or danger. Explain to them the materials it's made of and why it's suited for water wear. Offer to do a swim test for them in tail to show them you are capable. Some have suggested legal liability waivers as well. For those who go pro performer's insurance is a big weight off everyone involved, including when you're at a pool for practice (not an actual gig). This may not always work, but it can't hurt to give it a try! Education is the first step, right?

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

I started to do that but you know sometimes people get snippy. I wont forget next time to ask if they're accepted or not before I waste mytime again

Quote Originally Posted by MerAnthony View Post
    Name:  YMCA 012.JPG
Views: 8852
Size:  442.1 KBEmma that depends on what Y site you go on. I live in upstate NY in Amsterdam an I went to the Y in johnstown. It's a new place an when I called for prices I asked if I could use a monofin there? An they said that it was ok to use in the pool.
    Lucky! My Y is super super strict. No swim fins unless being used for laps, no floatation devices at all, no-one under 2 can swim, etc.

Senior Member Pod of Texas
    Pod of The South
    In the general area of Webster and Clear Lake in Texas
    My Y let me, and they even asked me if I'd come back during the summer when they do swim lessons with kids. I think they wanted the kids to realize what you can do once you learn to swim. But my dad's neighborhood pool lifeguards don't really want me doing it. Two of them (the girl lifeguards, oddly) will let me, the guys won't. O.o Weirded me out, but yeah....
    Swamp fish noises intensify

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Union of Pods of the North
    Add Sephina on Facebook
    Follow Sephina on Tumblr
    I was lucky last year. A local bar/inn/restaurant was letting me use their salt water pool (outdoor, and heated. It was heaven!). I called ahead and the manager basically just came out, watched me swim, made sure I knew what I was doing and then she was cool with me using the pool. However I just found out it's in the process of being sold so chances are I may not be as lucky anymore. I think once you prove that you can handle yourself in the flipper and you know what you are doing they are generally ok with it.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Usagi's Avatar
    What they told me at my Y was that I can wear my monofin (I asked to wear it in the lap lanes) but if the lanes get too full, I need to take it off because they don't want me accidentally hitting someone in the face Haha I haven't tried wearing a tail yet, but I will once I finish my new one. Can I ask where your Y is?
    Do you want this anemone to sting you?
    ......yes!

I've been using the olympic pool at usc. They let me use it ...no one batted an eye. I guess our public pools just have those weird rules

Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar
    I've said this a dozen times before so ignore me if you've heard this speech already xD

As a lifeguard, you HAVE to enforce the rules. For me, I could lose my job if my supervisor came around and saw that I let someone swim in a monofin/tail. It's strictly against our policies. Mainly the pools do not want to get sued for an accident. Lifeguards are not trained to save people in tails. So it can put the employed lifeguards at a risk as well. The easiest thing to do is to just ban tails in general so that pools don't have to carry that burden.

The best thing to do, as said before by others, is go to the manager or lifeguard and explain about your tail. Tell them how you're practicing in it and just need the water. You know how to swim in it and you will not disturb others purposely with it.

I can understand that but he saw me putting it on before and said nothing against it. I understand having rules but miscommunication and inconsistency would frustrate anyone