Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: NO Mermaid tails allowed !!!!!

Two friends of mine swim at Health Club of Concord NH. Course one happens to be a lifeguard (not employed there). Will swim there after work slows down.
    H.P. Lovecraft “You fool, Warren is DEAD!”

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Chatfish View Post
    AHHH!!! Was listening to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me from last Saturday, and the first limerick is about this topic: http://www.npr.org/2015/06/06/412448284/limericks
    Did you hear that Canadian pools were not allowing tails because scales were clogging the pool filters? Only on NPR.

Wouldn't this only be an issue for sequin tails?

I just ran into a weird case of tail and fin banning while visiting family north of Chicago. The manager told me they had tried allowing them two years ago, and the pool got overrun with people in mermaid tails, which somehow lead to them deciding they were too much of a risk and banning them. Granted this pool also doesn't allow any other swim toys or gear, including water wings of all things.

Fancy a cup of mermaid tea?

Quote Originally Posted by Ciriun View Post
    ...and the pool got overrun with people in mermaid tails..
    Like a mermaid feeding frenzy! This is was went through my head reading that.

Add Celaeno on Facebook
    I'm picturing dozens of mermaids, like a koi pond...

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by telzey.amberdon View Post
    Did you hear that Canadian pools were not allowing tails because scales were clogging the pool filters? Only on NPR.
    Hahaha! I remember hearing this...the pool filter clogging was to make the limerick rhyme!

Yes, they obviously had to ban mermaids because they kept biting the other swimmers.

I was nibbling on Coradion, who wouldn't?

Why is it that every time I mention a pool not allowing my fin, the conversation turns to talk of sexy mermen?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Why is it that every time I mention a pool not allowing my fin, the conversation turns to talk of sexy mermen?
    We can't help it. Them butts are so smexy!!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    There was a bit on places banning mermaiding in this thread. Basically my input is to go to the manager or the lifegaurds and educate them as to why your tail is a swim AID and piece of water equipment, not a swim hindrance or danger. Explain to them the materials it's made of and why it's suited for water wear. Offer to do a swim test for them in tail to show them you are capable. Some have suggested legal liability waivers as well. For those who go pro performer's insurance is a big weight off everyone involved, including when you're at a pool for practice (not an actual gig). This may not always work, but it can't hurt to give it a try! Education is the first step, right?
    Your so right mesister , i too agree, you need to tell them and show them what your all about, how safe it is, i swim at both my local pools here in NYC , but at first they said no, cause it the fin was to big, my Mahina fin, but i proceeded to show them my other fins and fabric tails and showed them photos and videos of us mermaids swimming together without bumping into each other or anyone getting hurt by it, now im going to keep trying for the others pools in our boroughs, there 2 pools in Queens,NY my other mersister who happens to be a lifeguard as well swim in her tail there and also at

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Coradion's Avatar

Visit Coradion's Youtube Channel
    I just ran into a weird case of tail and fin banning while visiting family north of Chicago. The manager told me they had tried allowing them two years ago, and the pool got overrun with people in mermaid tails, which somehow lead to them deciding they were too much of a risk and banning them. Granted this pool also doesn't allow any other swim toys or gear, including water wings of all things.
    Side note, water wings are actually a death trap for really little kids. A lot of pools ban them, if smaller kids don't have enough arm strength water wings can actually lift their arms above their heads and prevent them from treading water.

Maybe they are worried about what the monofin is made of. A monofin like the Finis Foil made of rubber will not hurt anyone, and has no sharp edges. But a monofin made of hard plastic compound or fiberglass (e.g., Finis Shooter, Trainer, Competitor) can hurt someone else. The Shooter and Trainer have hard fiberglass blades; and the Competitor has sharp corners and edges that can act like a knife blade. A rubber monofin is like rubber bifins, except for no gap between the feet. As long as you are doing surface swimming and there are no more than two people sharing a lane, there should be no problem. My YMCA pool allows all such fins. But tail swimming is another story--maybe for reasons mentioned by others above. Don't be discouraged. Maybe a dispassionate dry-land conversation with the powers that be can help you resolve the situation.

Angry

Let me just step right in and say how much I agree and how much I hate pools that ban you from using monofins.

I live in the Midwest, and there aren't a lot of public pools in this city, especially not pools that are open year round. Getting permission to swim with a tail or monofin is like yanking teeth. "The pool is too busy today, come on a slow day", the employee says. Buddy, this is Nebraska, and it's 102 outside all summer, there isn't a single slow day for the pools around here during the summer unless its pouring ocean buckets outside.

There is one pool that is semi-close to me that has never complained about me using a monofin. In fact, my friends and I have at least one pool party there every summer, and they always let me wear it. I called ahead the first time we went to that pool, and one of the employees put me on the phone with a manager, who told me that it shouldn't be an issue and that it's easier to allow if the material is rubber and not a sharp plastic. Mine is a thick rubber, thankfully. That same manager who used to let me swim there all the time is actually someone I work with now, so occasionally we chit-chat about pool rules and similar topics.

But my question is how am I supposed to become a professional when almost none of the pools around here allow mermaid tails or monofins? How can I go swimming on a regular basis when I can't afford to get my own pool at my own house? AM I SUPPOSED TO SWIM IN THE CORNFIELDS, COME ON NOW!

~Alinda the Reef Fish, aka Astronomical Mermaid~

My YMCA in Iowa not only has no problems with me swimming in my tail, my manager suggested I wear it for the last day of swim lessons.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Saren's Avatar
    Follow Saren On Twitter
    Follow Saren on Tumblr Visit Saren's Youtube Channel
    I have an issue with my pool not caring what i do with my monofin as long as I swim in the lap lanes. But they're totally apprehensive about my open ended fabric tail. But if i can prove to them that I can take the tail off quickly in case of emergencies, then I'm sure I'll be in the clear. It's strange though, I would just rent the pool out for a private swim, but they don't offer that (but other pools at military bases do offer so it changes I guess). We shall see
    Mermaid Saren
    ||Tumblr||YouTube||Instagram||Twitter||

user formerly known as Fayrn

My YMCA is a total wet blanket when it comes to mermaiding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any mers in Las Vegas/Henderson area know of any public pools that allow monofins or tails?

I never thought to ask before swimming. I wonder if my apartment property manager will allow it. If not I guess I'll just wait to make it until I move home to New York.

Sent from my Shellphone using Tapatalk for Android
    Currently deciding on a color/design and saving up for my first tail!

Follow Dogfish On Twitter
    Visit Dogfish's Youtube Channel Visit Dogfish's Vimeo Channel
    My local pool has told me mixed things - one said no as I wouldn't be able to get out of the pool fast enough if there was a fire (?!) but the other said she was excited about the idea. I offered to rent a lane for myself or to demonstrate it to them but got no further replies on the subject. It's a bit worrying as, while I'm still learning about mermaiding, it makes me wonder if it's worth my getting a fabric tail at all. Not many places besides public pools to swim in the UK!

Not sure how else to proceed yet :/