Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: NO Mermaid tails allowed !!!!!

Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar
    That's something we battle with at the pool all the time. Inconsistency is TERRIBLE. I think lifeguards have a hard time saying no because the really do want people to enjoy themselves at the pool. And they personally have nothing against it, it's the pool owner that does.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Tula's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Tula On Twitter Add Mermaid Tula on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Tula on Tumblr
    I'm excited! I just found out that my schools pool (College) allows monofins!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MerAnthony's Avatar
    Add MerAnthony on Facebook
    Cool deal. Lately I have been talking with the life guards at our local Y , an I have been telling them I have been working on my neoprene tail, byt repainting it an adding a few things to it. They say they want to see it when finished. An they have also told me that there is a few others that work there would like to see it as well.
    Be Happy Swim Free

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Tula's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Tula On Twitter Add Mermaid Tula on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Tula on Tumblr
    Nice. ^__^

I swim with my monofin for practice at 24 hour fitness I know they allow that. I have my monofin and my tail is coming soon so idk about the whole tail.

Hope that helped

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Maybe if you just bring the monofin and show them that you can swim in it, they might change their minds.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 03-23-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Fun123joker's Avatar

Follow Fun123joker on Tumblr
    wait what does YMCA stand fOr? whats a Y?

gif. from Free! Eternal summer ending
    ・゚: *✧・゚:* \(◕ω◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Young Men's Christian Authority (there's also a YWCA, but they're kind of rare :/). It's a sports-gym chain in the US (not sure about other places?). They recently shortened it to just The Y as their name.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    We have them here in Australia too. There is one in every alternate suburb or so. Its usually has pool facilities, tennis court, skateboard ramp, basket ball court, a small cafe. Basically, its an activities centre that kids can go to, and you only pay a small fee to use.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Fun123joker's Avatar

Follow Fun123joker on Tumblr
    vhat. vhats this. why havent i heard of this? all i see are planet fitness. i dont know if they have pools. we have abunch of public pools not really chain pools. I got to the pool at the local rec center. They dont mind the pool is big enought for everyone

gif. from Free! Eternal summer ending
    ・゚: *✧・゚:* \(◕ω◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

I have 2 locations to swim. GSU and Swim Atlanta. Both have no issue with my tail.

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    Strangely, my pool has no problems at all with my tail but the only day I took my Finis Wave all was trouble: it is too stiff; it is too big; if someone complains you have to take it out; all said in quite a rude tone. What do they think there is inside the tail but a monofin? I guess out of sight, out of mind.

Thankfully, I know a lot more staff now, including a very nice and friendly life guard. I still have not ventured with the Finis again, but only because I love my tail so much I want to use it always
    Last edited by Talia; 04-29-2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by MerEmma View Post
    Young Men's Christian Authority (there's also a YWCA, but they're kind of rare :/). It's a sports-gym chain in the US (not sure about other places?). They recently shortened it to just The Y as their name.
    That's what it stands for? I was told it stands for Young Men's Club of America. We have both a YMCA and a YWCA here, I used to do cheerleading as a kid at the YWCA.

It's Young Men's Christian Association. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YMCA)

But they don't do any proselytizing, at least I haven't seen it here. They just offer some of the best gym/athletic setups out there, and at such a great cost. You'd never know the name had anything to do with religion unless you asked.

The Ys here in San Diego not only allow and provide fins, they allow monofins and apparently tails, too.
    Last edited by deepblue; 04-29-2014 at 05:13 PM.

San Diego Y's sound great. The ones here in central Florida are very unorganized, don't allow monofins or tails and only allow fins in the lap lanes. They also disallow anyone to make money on their property (performers for birthdays for example). No advertising of anything or anyone (yet they don't enforce this for pizza boxes or Publix cakes...).

Senior Member Pod of Cali Meshy's Avatar
    Add Meshy on Facebook
    I'm in San Diego, and I just today swam in my tail! Love the Cameron (in Santee) YMCA!

I have a couple of other mermaids that swim with me, and they do frown on taking pictures (As the kids are around now and there are perverts in the world) and they also seem to frown on passing out business cards, so we're sneaky about giving cards out (or we don't bring them and give folks our facebook pages to go to instead), and they'd never allow a party there. However, they all LOVE the tails, and the lifeguards are usually cool about pictures when people ask, then immediately put their phones away. I have several photos parents have taken of me with their kids, I always ask if it's ok to post on my FB page, and as long as the phone gets put away, the lifeguards have been pretty nice about it. I was able to bring my underwater camera, but since the kids are around now, they don't want us to use it. I'll take the "downsides" if it means I'm not getting harassed and kicked out of the pool!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Romy's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Romy On Twitter
    Follow Mermaid Romy on Tumblr Visit Mermaid Romy's Youtube Channel
    I've been very lucky with my local pool. My friend and I started swimming and then I brought my monofin and okayed the use of that and then tripple checked with them about the tail. Asked a few lifeguards and the front desk. Explained the fabric and stuff and turned up today to swim and it was great. The staff were excited and there were school groups who were pointing and gasping. I even got a fan with a mother and daughter. The mum knew of Mermaid Nerissa through a local paper and she wanted to chat lots about tails and swimming C: it was really exciting! But education is the key and explaining things carefully and showing people how good you are at swimming first!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Senior Member Euro Pod
    Add Pascal21M on Facebook
    By me nobody allows me to swim in a indoor pols. Its crazy and sad

I'm currently a junior at Rutgers University New Brunswick and we have two gyms with Olympic pools, and one with a patio pool too and both allow mono fins and tails. The other swimmers we pretty amused as I flopped about and the lifeguards just silently judged.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    I feel like people are a lot more lax in Australia. To be fair I've never been to a chain owned pool place, but usually I'll just rock up to wherever I wanna swim with my tail and ask at the front desk if it's okay if I swim in 'this' and hold up my tail. I've never had a problem, some have even seemed surprised I asked, or it might have been surprise at what I had asked about but I've never been refused entry to a pool because of my tail, which is nice.