Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: NO Mermaid tails allowed !!!!!

Senior Member Pod of The South Rivertee's Avatar
    Follow Rivertee On Twitter Add Rivertee on Facebook
    Follow Rivertee on Tumblr
    I can say luckily my apartment pool loves having a mermaid, the management even leaves it open after hours on Tues, Thurs, and Sat for private practice for me. Provided I allow others to swim with me during normal hours and not make a spectacle of myself lol
    ~Nothing's Impossible just hard to achieve, so stay true to yourself and always Believe~

Formerly known as Kaguria the Kitsune Mermaid

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Oooh that's an awesome deal, Kaguria! Private practice after-hours must be like heaven :3

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Nice! I'm hoping to swim in the big wave pool near my new home down in Sydney (without the wave machine going). They are a much bigger pool facility than what I'm used to swimming at here on the Central Coast. They also have another pool with lanes, a deep end for diving and water polo. Just basically swimming free without being stuck in a lane! I rang them months ago to ask if I could bring my tail and even posted a photo of it on their fb page, they said "Yes", so I'm pretty excited at finding a new splash home so quickly.

Oh and the Sydney Aquatic Centre, where they held the Olympics, also said yes to my tail. So am very happy to have two places to swim in!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    My community pool has no problem with either monofins or my tails. Even when my fabric tail accidentally got glitter in the pool (oops!). In fact, they invited me to wear my tail at the community party on Labor day. Of course now that fall is here, the pool will be closed and I don't have anywhere to swim until next spring.

Senior Member Euro Pod
    Add Pascal21M on Facebook
    In our city no indoor oools allow to swim with a tail

Senior Member Euro Pod
    Add Pascal21M on Facebook
    Its so sad. In Austria Mermaiding is not so much there.

Quote Originally Posted by Candytails View Post
    I can understand that but he saw me putting it on before and said nothing against it. I understand having rules but miscommunication and inconsistency would frustrate anyone
    Inconsistency, even well-meaning, would bother me more than a straight-up ban. I know I'd constantly be paranoid about being called out and publicly shamed. For now, I can enjoy my apartment complex's outdoor pool to the fullest, but I know I need to start shopping around for some water for winter.
    Cool people have signatures. I wish to be cool as well. So here's Strong Bad catching fish. http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail44.html

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    I've said this a dozen times before so ignore me if you've heard this speech already xD

As a lifeguard, you HAVE to enforce the rules. For me, I could lose my job if my supervisor came around and saw that I let someone swim in a monofin/tail. It's strictly against our policies. Mainly the pools do not want to get sued for an accident. Lifeguards are not trained to save people in tails. So it can put the employed lifeguards at a risk as well. The easiest thing to do is to just ban tails in general so that pools don't have to carry that burden.

The best thing to do, as said before by others, is go to the manager or lifeguard and explain about your tail. Tell them how you're practicing in it and just need the water. You know how to swim in it and you will not disturb others purposely with it.

I am a lifeguard manager, and personally I have no problem if someone wanted to come in and swim with a tail.

The best thing to do is simply ask before you go swimming. You need to explain how the tail works, what its made of, how that you're a good swimmer with and you wont annoy anyone on purpose. The Shoreview YMCA allows me to swim in my tail as long as I don't splash anybody with my fluke and that Im careful when swimming with little kids. Im also a employee of the Shoreview YMCA, but that hasn't affected my mermaiding time there.
    Last edited by MermaidRuby; 04-23-2015 at 05:08 PM.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Asking sometimes is less than helpful.
    It can come down to simply if the supervisor is a jerk or not

When I asked about fins at the only deeper pool we have here, I was told "no fins allowed" by the chief guard.
    But reading the pool's rules later, I found fins ARE allowed in the fast lane, and if not too thronged.
    (It was pretty empty when I asked)

The same pool has hours and lanes reserved for the diver club and even for mermaiding courses lately, but still will selectively hinder other people using fins, no matter if the pool is otherwise empty or not.
    I'm pretty done with pools and stupid staff.
    Looking into other alternatives now. I've been saving for my own pool for a while.

In normal public hours in our local swimming hall I was actually told not to DIVE as long as I did I was training to dive long distance and after I dived few times back and forth the pool one of the life-guards came to tell me that it was forbidden. I was like uhm, well, how long I'm allowed to dive? And he told me that only one time from one end to another. It was SO weird...
    But after joining in diving club we have our own turns at that same hall and our club really loves having a mermaid as a member so they actually encourage me to swim with them, and usually they have few their own kids with them to come to check out the mermaid And now I can even practice my free-diving skills XD
    Frosty Mermaid from the lonely Lapland <3

* Etsy * Youtube * Facebook * Instagram *

Quote Originally Posted by Merenneito Nerissa View Post
    In normal public hours in our local swimming hall I was actually told not to DIVE as long as I did I was training to dive long distance and after I dived few times back and forth the pool one of the life-guards came to tell me that it was forbidden. I was like uhm, well, how long I'm allowed to dive? And he told me that only one time from one end to another. It was SO weird...
    But after joining in diving club we have our own turns at that same hall and our club really loves having a mermaid as a member so they actually encourage me to swim with them, and usually they have few their own kids with them to come to check out the mermaid And now I can even practice my free-diving skills XD
    Its a worry about shallow water blackouts. The last update of ARC lifeguarding puts some emphasis on it being bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Nice! I'm hoping to swim in the big wave pool near my new home down in Sydney (without the wave machine going). They are a much bigger pool facility than what I'm used to swimming at here on the Central Coast. They also have another pool with lanes, a deep end for diving and water polo. Just basically swimming free without being stuck in a lane! I rang them months ago to ask if I could bring my tail and even posted a photo of it on their fb page, they said "Yes", so I'm pretty excited at finding a new splash home so quickly.

Oh and the Sydney Aquatic Centre, where they held the Olympics, also said yes to my tail. So am very happy to have two places to swim in!
    Ooh, ooh, I sometimes swim at the Sydney Olympic Park pool too with my Oceanika! Though most of the time I swim in a privately owned pool near my house, and the lifeguards have zero problems with it.

{(¯¨*·.,¸_¸,.»BRINGING GRAVITY FALLS AND MERMAIDS TOGETHER SINCE...erm...2014! «.,¸_¸,.·*¨¯)}
    If you're a Gravity Falls fan, why don't you check out my blog?
    https://ageekgirlsblogofawesomeness.wordpress.com/

Formerly known as SeaStarShimmer

Quote Originally Posted by SeaStarShimmer View Post
    Ooh, ooh, I sometimes swim at the Sydney Olympic Park pool too with my Oceanika! Though most of the time I swim in a privately owned pool near my house, and the lifeguards have zero problems with it.
    Ooo! You're not the other mermaid I've heard about at Ryde are you?

No, I live in the east. I only really go there occasionally, like a day trip kind of, but the pool there is awesome! I would love to live closer!

{(¯¨*·.,¸_¸,.»BRINGING GRAVITY FALLS AND MERMAIDS TOGETHER SINCE...erm...2014! «.,¸_¸,.·*¨¯)}
    If you're a Gravity Falls fan, why don't you check out my blog?
    https://ageekgirlsblogofawesomeness.wordpress.com/

Formerly known as SeaStarShimmer

I swam with my monofin at a leisure centre in Claremorris, and they were fine with the monofin. We asked at the desk before we went in, and they said it was fine. ^w^ I was kind of freaking out, because the pool in my own town doesn't allow fins, nor does the indoor waterpark in Bundoran, and the one I swam with my first crappy tail in is only open in summer. I haven't used my tail there yet, though. I went yesterday, and brought the tail with me, but I was a little anxious about using it. I felt kind of embarrassed. I wanted to almost sneak by the lifeguard, but they were standing right outside the changing room lockers!
    In summation, I wimped out and just used the monofin ._.
    Dan/Danny || 17 || they/them

(Avatar by me (@red.lion.art))

Senior Member Pod of Cali introverting's Avatar
    Add introverting on Facebook
    Follow introverting on Tumblr Visit introverting's Youtube Channel
    This may be a little out of topic, but do any of you think snorkeling with a mermaid tail would be allowed, or are their certain requirements to be certified?

Senior Member Pod of Cali mermaidopal's Avatar
    Follow mermaidopal On Twitter Add mermaidopal on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by introverting View Post
    This may be a little out of topic, but do any of you think snorkeling with a mermaid tail would be allowed, or are their certain requirements to be certified?
    Introverting,
    Most snorkel places are not monitored (if you're thinking in the open ocean). Sometimes in big tourist spots they are, like some spots on Catalina Island or if you're with a guided group or a cruise ship. If you're going on your own, it should be fine almost all the time. If you're going with some kind of guide, I would get approval on it beforehand. (I did snorkeling with my college in La Jolla Cove, a pretty touristy area, and they were cool with my mono fin but I needed a wetsuit-- it was during the winter so too cold for tail!) If there's a lifeguard where you are, it may be best to talk to them first before you start swimming just so they know-- idk if they can refuse you swimming in the ocean in a tail since it's public, though. I've swam at the beach in my tail and as long as i stuck to areas designated for swimmers (i.e. not surfer areas) the lifeguards were just fine.
    Also, ocean swimming can be pretty tiring, so if there won't be a lifeguard where you are, at the very least make sure you have at least one swim buddy, and take breaks!

When I rang the pool at Ryde, the receptionist said yes, but I also made her go ask the boss in charge of all the lifeguards. When she came back to say he said yes too, I was very happy!

I've seen the boss, Andrew, sometimes at the pool. He looks happy to have me there, and as far as I know, there is no complaints from other people about my swimming. I do stay in a lane if its crowded but when its not, I treat the whole deep end like my private cove!

AHHH!!! Was listening to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me from last Saturday, and the first limerick is about this topic: http://www.npr.org/2015/06/06/412448284/limericks