Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: NO Mermaid tails allowed !!!!!

Follow Dogfish On Twitter
    Visit Dogfish's Youtube Channel Visit Dogfish's Vimeo Channel
    Ah! So follow up on my old post (ha) I have been able to find a pool that let me wear my mono fin. I emailed ahead of time but got no reply, so just went in with it. I didnt use the skin (its a finfun) but didn't hide the monofin from view, just didn't mention it. Said hi to the life guards, got in, did a couple of normal laps then put the fin on - no one said a word.
    I did swim in the adult-only evening portion of the pool times so perhaps that helps? I can see why they wouldnt want things like that when it's busy or around kids, in case it encourages them to bring in things that are similar which perhaps are not as safe.

My YMCA approved that I could swim in my fluke and my mermaid tail check there

~~~Mermaid Auquita~~~

Sent from my Shell Phone
    Sent from My Shell Phone

***Mermaid Auquita***

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    I've taken to emailing places about it. Only one out of two answered my question so far, but they said yes, so that's cool. I just wish I lived closer to that place so I could go there more frequently! Not only is it tail-friendly, but they have deeper areas so I can practice diving and tricks. But it's a forty minute drive, and I already do so much driving during the week for work.

My neighborhood pool took no issue with my monofin or my test tail.

My gym pool allows it, but they use way too much chlorine so I don't like to go very often. I imagine that most gym pools would allow it, since they're usually lap pools and you wouldn't be getting in other people's way. Plus there wouldn't be concern about the safety of children, since kids aren't usually allowed.

Ask your local YMCA ask about your mono fin first than if they say yes ask about your tail

~~~Mermaid Auquita~~~

Sent from my Shell Phone
    Sent from My Shell Phone

***Mermaid Auquita***

Senior Member Pod of The South MidsummerMermaid's Avatar
    Yeah hunting down a year long open pool that allows monofins sucks. Living in Florida, you'd think our pools were open longer than just may through August and the single indoor year long pool around doesn't allow monofins.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MerFantasy View Post
    Yeah hunting down a year long open pool that allows monofins sucks. Living in Florida, you'd think our pools were open longer than just may through August and the single indoor year long pool around doesn't allow monofins.
    Ha ha, right? I live in Texas and we don't actually got cold weather until October, you'd think places like pools and waterparks would be open longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Delphinidae View Post
    Ha ha, right? I live in Texas and we don't actually got cold weather until October, you'd think places like pools and waterparks would be open longer.
    Our cold is 60°F, and I've swum in colder when I was in Denmark, so I don't really know why pools are so weird. But if your pool doesn't allow monofins, try diving flippers so you can at least get the workout and techniques

Sent from my shell phone using MerNetwork mobile app
    ***** I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living *****

Yeah, I got kicked off out the pool that I had been mermaiding in for five years. And none of the pools around me allow it. So the only time I can swim is at my aunt's which I only get to go over there once a year. I usually just practice without my tail and keep my legs together. Good luck on finding a new pool!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    Mermaid Mikayla

How'd you get kicked out if you've been there for years?

How'd you get kicked out if you've been there for years?
    It was a new life guard I've been told. So I'm supposed to go back up there and ask the manager if I can continue to swim at their pool with my tail. Which I don't see how there would be a problem, but if there is, I'll continue to swim with out my tail.

Mermaid Mikayla

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Holly's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Holly on MySpace
    Basically none of the pools near me allow tails or monofins, because California has crazy laws. Fortunately, my gym let's me swim, although the pool pretty gross and is often filled with old people... so it's not the greatest option, but it's better than nothing.

"Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me."

Psalm 42:7

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    North Pacific Pod

Oregon. Home of bipolar weather and rain in 30 degree weather.
    Add SIF on Facebook
    Visit SIF's Youtube Channel
    I'm in Oregon and even our non-year round pools are open longer than May through August...

When you're caught and find yourself tossed back,
    take advantage of the motion, and catch the next wave!

I took that advice of just showing up with the monofin and surprisingly I haven't been evicted yet, so I'm happy

I took that advice of just showing up with the monofin and surprisingly I haven't been evicted yet, so I'm happy
    That's awesome!

Mermaid Mikayla

Been a while so I'm just updating: so far, no one seems to care about me and my monofin. I only wear the fin and my neoprene leggings, not the tail, and I'm hoping once I become a regular I'll be able to wear the skin over it. But just showing up with the monofin, don't ask if it's allowed, just do it. If they say something, fine, but odds are they won't if you act like you belong there.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod
    Lol this is exactly what my fiance said to do when mine come this week (assuming this snowpocalypse ever ends)!
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

User formerly known as derBears

Seriously, walk in like you own the joint and no one will question you. I called and they said no, but I've swum there a few weeks now and not a peep

I’ve been thinking about doing just that in a pool near me. Someone told me monofins and tails weren’t aloud, but I’m going to try it anyways. If they kick me out, that’s that. Just gotta work up the courage now, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Yeah you don't want to look guilty. Maybe go with a friend?

I did that too! I recently bought a mermaid linden monofin and have been scouring SoCal to swim laps and I recently tried my community pools (Alga Norte and Monroe St. in Carlsbad, CA). I never ask and I just bring it inside (lowering it from the view of the front desk helps lol) and put it on even in front of the lifeguards. I swim a few laps and wear the monofin like nobody's business >u<