Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: NO Mermaid tails allowed !!!!!

I swim 4 workouts a week at my YMCA pool: 3 of them using bi-fins, and 1 of them using a Finis Foil. It is always fins /monofin only, no leggings or tail. The lifeguards are so used to seeing me workout, that it doesn't matter to them whether I am using bi-fins or a monofin. I think any concerns that might be voiced have to do with 1) whether a swimmer can ditch the tail in case of cramps or other physical problem, and swim to safety without it; and 2) fiberglass monofins scratching or injuring another swimmer if lanes need to be shared. Also, some monofins like the Mahina and Finis Competitor are so big that lane sharing might be out of the question. The Finis Foil is rubber, does not scratch or injure, and travels well. No one at the pool has voice any objection when I swim with it.

Follow up from my last post with my Mermaid Linden monofin, I was actually told not to swim with it in Alga Norte and another pool I then proceeded with my regular workout without fins, which was less fun of course lol
    I recently bought a Finis Shooter for a better workout and I've found that public pools turn a blind eye away from it. I think when people see anything closely resembling a mermaid shape, they immediately say no. Now I just use my Finish Shooter everywhere I go since it looks a lot more athletically professional looking. The propulsion is much better anyway, but I miss using my Linden in deeper waters.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Christine View Post
    Follow up from my last post with my Mermaid Linden monofin, I was actually told not to swim with it in Alga Norte and another pool I then proceeded with my regular workout without fins, which was less fun of course lol
    I recently bought a Finis Shooter for a better workout and I've found that public pools turn a blind eye away from it. I think when people see anything closely resembling a mermaid shape, they immediately say no. Now I just use my Finish Shooter everywhere I go since it looks a lot more athletically professional looking. The propulsion is much better anyway, but I miss using my Linden in deeper waters.
    I figure the same thing, which is why I bring my Finis Foil instead of a full tail or my FinFun monofin. Haven't had an issue so far. (admittedly I haven't gone out in a while, haven't been able to swim due to a hand injury)

Add Aquariuz on Facebook Add Aquariuz on Google+
    I hate this when it happens. As far as i know, there isnt any evidence showing a higher drowning risk associated with monofins, so all these fears are unfounded. Nevertheless, it happens so frequently, i had to join a rather pricey country club to be able to swim freely, but the difference is that its privately owned, so i can do whatever i want. Yes, itll ruin your day, being told not to mermaid. Ticks me off!

Sent from my iPad using MerNetwork

Solution
    Have any of you guys thought about using hotel pools? most don't even have lifeguards so I think it's very unlikely they would be able to Kik you out.

Sent from my SM-G960W using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Sure, and we do swim in them. But usually they want you to to stay at the hotel. It gets expensive. Its only viable if you have some other reason to be at the hotel.
    Last edited by Merman Storm; 01-17-2020 at 10:25 PM.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Anybody know of place to swim in Illinois? I'm in orland park and there arent a huge amount of pools. The public pool was a definite no, and one private sports place was very on the fence. Like when they're were kids around they let me but odd enough if there was even one older person it was a definite no. Weird.

There is a dive shop near me that has an indoor pool for scuba certifications and supposedly there is a local mermaid group that is allowed to use the dive shop's indoor pool for mermaiding.

So if you happen to have a dive shop near you, you could either ask if you can swim in their pool (if they have one) or ask if they know of a pool that might allow you.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

If you are a bigger pod, have you tried to pay for an own area (lane, half pool etc.) like the other clubs? Then there are usually different rules.

Junior Member Pod of the Midwest Mermaid Rivera's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Rivera on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Rivera's Youtube Channel
    Since getting my Fantasea 3 I've been dying to find somewhere to try it out. But that proves to be a hassle when you have to find not only an INDOOR pool but one that ALSO allows mermaids! Not to mention a free one!

I contacted a nearby indoor pool and the lady on the phone said they don't allow fins or outside pool devices but I could bring it in and show the lifeguards to see if I can get it in. The problem with that is that there's a fee per person, I only get to be there for a couple hours and the Fantasea 3 is HEAVY! Doesn't seem very worth it to bring the fin and have them say no, because that's the whole point of me wanting to swim!

There are some pools my pod has told me about that are one to two hours from where I am, though that's not very convenient all the time. (Though we will likely do meets there)

I also remember visiting a somewhat local waterpark and my mom actually asked the lifeguards and receptionists as we were leaving if mermaid tails were allowed (because I asked her just as a hypothetical/rhetorical question regarding my very first tail) and they said yes?! Out of all places I would have expected to allow tails, a family waterpark was not one of them! I'm thinking of asking them again and maybe doing a family trip there!

I have to pay £12 for a private lane and pay for public liability insurance to be able.to mermaid swim. I had to write a letter to my local council but said I would pay these so it was allowed straight away

Sent from my SM-G960F using MerNetwork mobile app

That’s why I give up mermaid tails no pool will allow you in where I live . Canada and America pools are a lot more accepting than Ireland and uk you’re pretty much laugh at if you ask. people give you dirty looks mermaiding is definitely not accepted . People think it’s stupid and that you have mantel Heath issues if you wear a mermaid tail. There is definitely no pros mermaid in Ireland become people are shot down and become laughing stock if you attempt to do it .
    Last edited by seaair16; 10-01-2020 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I know the water is /&%!cold in Ireland, but maybe you can try wild swimming?
    it's so much nicer than being in an overthronged, smelly pool anyway.

I'm going to try and swim this year until the water freezes over.
    Be careful though if you're not used to cold water. Definitely bring someone to watch/help, and a dry robe to change.

You may want to wear a diving suit under your tail.

i always wonder the why they banned tail in pool. is it because of spaces???

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I have heard several reasons.
    1) They do not want to have to judge which "pool toy" is acceptable and which is not, so they ban them all.
    2) They think it is unsave to use, at least for some swimmers, and do not want to have to deal with the extra danger.
    3) They are afraid of the fin hitting someone.
    4) They want to minimize cloth in the pool, as it sheds fibers and string, which clog the filter.

All safety related issues also have the issue of lawsuits. One frivolous lawsuit can shut down the facility for months, if not years.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I've heard the "people have drowned" excuse from a reputable pool.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    yes, people drown in pools all the time.

WITHOUT a mermaid tail

biggest risk at any pool is still having someone jump on you, but no pool I've ever been to had a guard really watching, or even just reprimanding someone who jumped in from the side without looking whether someone was already swimming there.

At least that doesn't concern me anymore, because I won't ever go back to swimming in public restrooms, er I mean pools.
    They are all closed anyway (complete lockdown here until at least early next year).