Thread: Extending a Monofin?

Extending a Monofin?

Okay, I have a Finis Foil, and it is kinda square and small, and I'm not a tiny lil thing. So I'd like to extend it and make it more fluke shaped, but I want it to flow nicely so I don't want to add anything too thick or hard. I'm thinking of getting some shower liner and somehow attaching it to my Foil, but I'd like to know if any of you have any ideas or would know how to attach it?
    ~Daughter of the Ocean, Princess of the Waves~
    Not really active, but always mermaidy
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/FloridaMerfolk/

There's a bit about that in the Monofins, the Official Thread:

MONOFIN SHAPING ADDITIONS

Some people chose not to shape the the monofin by cutting it, but rather by adding additional material to extend it to their preferred shape (example video here). The most common way of doing this is to either attach vinyl or sheet rubber. Some attach the rubber by glue, others by sewing with fishing line or other highly strong thread. The important thing to remember is that you must either completely seal (watertight) the rubber to the monofin, or leave plenty of space in the bottom, via holes/gaps in glue or stitching. This is because as water flows in and/or through the fabric it can become trapped in the rubber insert, greatly weighing down the fluke as you swim or try to lift it out of the water. Holes allow the water to flow freely in and out of the rubber, fixing the issue. A water tight seal of course would avoid the issue, although with the natural ridges in most monofins this may be difficult to accomplish.
    Instead of a shower liner, go to a fabric store like JoAnns. They carry clear vinyl in different thicknesses- it's much better quality and cheaper! They sell it in the utility fabrics on the big rolls. Don't forget they have 40% off coupons on a regular basis Or you can use sheet rubber like some other people have used. It's up to you! Either way, good luck!

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Oh, thank you! I completely missed that when I looked in that thread.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of The South
    I just ordered a new monofin to extend as a tutorial the way I did with the last one. It should arrive sometime this week, and I'll make a video as soon as it does ^_^

Facebook: Mermaid Moonflower 月 花
    *The user formerly known as FlowerBite*

Oh, I'd love that!
    ~Daughter of the Ocean, Princess of the Waves~
    Not really active, but always mermaidy
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/FloridaMerfolk/

Re: Extending a Monofin?

When you said extended I thought of an H2O tail. I suppose extend the WIDTH would be more to what you're talking about doing.
    Good luck

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    ~`*Fresh Water Mermaid*`~
    Mermaid Yvette
    Facebook § youtube § DeviantArt

I also extended my finnis Wave using a combination of zip ties and duct tape. The plus side of this is you can make it as rigid or as flowy as you want depending on how you arrange the supports (in my case zip ties) within the duct tape (very flowy on its own). It's held up fine so far, though I haven't gotten many chances to test it. I'll link to the thread I posted pictures of the process on later, when I'm not on my phone
    Mermaid Jade
    (Instagram | Facebook | tumblr)

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of The South
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshWaterMermaid View Post
    When you said extended I thought of an H2O tail. I suppose extend the WIDTH would be more to what you're talking about doing.
    Good luck

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Today I won a used shooter monofin on ebay I plan on using to extend quite a bit (about a foot before it fans out into the fluke). I have to figure out what I want to use material-wise to extend it, as I still want a good deal of propulsion on it, but I'll figure that out soon enough ^_^

http://djsports.com/Finis-Shooter-Monofin/

Facebook: Mermaid Moonflower 月 花
    *The user formerly known as FlowerBite*

Oh hey! I was actually looking for someone who had modified the Finnis Wave! Do you have a tutorial or another thread with info on that?

(Sorry, this is my first time trying to navigate this site D

What weight of vinyl would you recommend for this? I was looking at 60 gauge but I don't know if that's going to be too much for my monofin. I don't want to risk cracking it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I've got a finis rapid if that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk