Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Top for a fresh-water mermaid

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    I think you should absolutely post your ideas! Plant-based tails is an awesome idea and something no one I've seen has done before.
    Personally I'd love to see some designs based on seaweed! I can imagine some merfolk having tails like that, considering the leafy sea-dragon:

Name:  Leafy-Seadragon-3.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  30.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Melaina View Post
    I think you should absolutely post your ideas! Plant-based tails is an awesome idea and something no one I've seen has done before.
    Personally I'd love to see some designs based on seaweed! I can imagine some merfolk having tails like that, considering the leafy sea-dragon:

Name:  Leafy-Seadragon-3.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  30.1 KB
    oh that seahorse is adorable! <3 I've actually been really ill the last few days and as I've been confined to the bed or sofa the whole time, I've had a chance to do some sketching for you =) done a bunch of seaweed based sketches actually - Though I apologise for my terrible skills =( it'd be much easier just to make it out of clay to show you XD I'll make a thread in a moment but I just wanted to give you the heads-up =)

edit: here's the thread - http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...7828#post67828
    Last edited by Mermaid Lilium; 04-20-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Arnold View Post
    soooo this thread kinda inspired me and I'm going to go out on a limb and share this sketch I did last night... It's just an initial one and it's not coloured or anything (petals could be any colour, I was thinking a graduated rosy pink as I was drawing) and the 'scales' are leaves and fins could be made from leaves or half-fronds of fern.
    Holy Cow.... over Valentines day I made a spandex tail with flower petals for scales... Such a fun idea... <3 FaeMerrow
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Dottie View Post
    Holy Cow.... over Valentines day I made a spandex tail with flower petals for scales... Such a fun idea... <3 FaeMerrow
    sounds lovely - I've thought about making a dry-tail from rose petals sealed in resin attached to something. One of my favourite photographers Kirsty Mitchell made resin-petal false nails for one of her most recent shoots which is what gave me that idea. She painted the resin on =)

be sure to check out my thread with my other designs - posting some more coloured work in a sec =D

This is my problem exactly! My domain is lake erie, and most freshwater clams aren't going to do shit for a C-cup. Everyone makes such beautiful tops for sale, but we don't have pearls or starfish, or any kind of bright-colored shells.

I'm thinking about just finding a simple halter bra or bathing suit, and stitching a lot of used fish netting over top. It would be much cheaper than shelling out (literally) for saltwater mermaid tops. You are all very talented, but I need to represent my lake!

I wonder how you'd feel about a different approach. I know that there have been a lot of problems with pollution in Lake Erie in the past. While much of it is contaminant from run off, rain, snow, and there is a problem with some invasive species, there's also just a lot of man made junk because of people dumping there.

Would an Erie mer use man-made things her or she finds to fashion her accesories?

Of course, it would give you an opportunity to discuss pollution, if you wanted. Erie last year had more plastic pollution than any oceanic samples on record.

Also, I can see an Erie mer using invasive species, to do their part to rid the area of them. Faux Eurasian Watermill Foil is probably easy to find in aquarium supplies.

But I could understand also why you might not want to go that direction. Perhaps an Erie mer wants to stick to the original spirit of the body of water s/he inhabits.

Another option- have you thought of faux turtle shells? I know shells were mentioned, just wondering is someone makes faux shells that you could waterproof.

A lily pad top sounds great, btw. Could be really pretty.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    I, too, have been dreaming of a lily-pad bra, since I'm about 50-50 on my preference of saltwater to freshwater... I grew up dreaming of the ocean and playing in so many ponds, rivers, creeks and cricks... Actually, my "meditation spot" I go to in my mind is my magical secret crick I found on the property of one of my childhood homes... I would sit there for hours, perched on my little rock balcony over the pool created by a small dam I made.

Hmm, need to find/make fake lily pads now...

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Mermaid View Post
    I, too, have been dreaming of a lily-pad bra, since I'm about 50-50 on my preference of saltwater to freshwater... I grew up dreaming of the ocean and playing in so many ponds, rivers, creeks and cricks... Actually, my "meditation spot" I go to in my mind is my magical secret crick I found on the property of one of my childhood homes... I would sit there for hours, perched on my little rock balcony over the pool created by a small dam I made.

Hmm, need to find/make fake lily pads now...
    If you're still hunting for them by the time I'm selling tails, I'll probably release my own lily-pad accessories to coincide with the release of the 'waterhouse' tail =)

Kat, that sounds amazing! I love the Waterhouse paintings, so I'm really excited to see your creations now!

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Mermaid View Post
    Kat, that sounds amazing! I love the Waterhouse paintings, so I'm really excited to see your creations now!
    I have a thread with my designs and such so far - haven't done much cause I've been focusing on my degree work but I've bought tools and a few lb of the clay so I can at least start practicing sculpting - I'm going to start off producing them for bjd dolls to help fund the first full-size tail =)

and I love waterhouse and the pre-raphs - I went to a gallery in liverpool not that long ago and it had a real waterhouse, a rossetti, and even had a beautiful gainsbrough (not pre-raph but still amazing) they had a monet but it was tiny and not that great =/ Lets just say I had a few geeky fangirl moments XD

I'll have to go take a look at your thread! I so wish I had a BJD, I'd be able to test new designs out on it first before committing to a full-scale version! Also, those things are just soo cute. I'll let my BJD friends know when you start making them!

Pre-raphs are some of my favorite paintings too... I hear you about geeking out at a gallery, my high school art class took a field trip to a local museum where they were having an exhibition of Impressionist paintings (we had just studied Impressionism), and I was leaning as close as I could to all these classics! I leaned in so close I could study the texture of paint globs in brush strokes... It was amazing I got to stick my face mere inches away from some Van Gogh... And now, years later, after I've gotten into Doctor Who, I find that so much more awesome.

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Here's a list of Freshwater plants native to certain areas. If anymer would like to expand on this list, be my guest.

North American Freshwater Plants

Here's an aquarium site with Rocky Mountain native aquatics.
    http://store.seacorals.net/romoaqpl.html

Great Plains
    http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/plants/vascplnt/

Pacific Northwest
    https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/publicat...ns/0603004.pdf

North Eastern U.S.
    http://www.edgeofthewoodsnursery.com/plants (Scroll a little ways down for their aquatic plants section.)

South Eastern U.S.
    http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/598

Californian Marsh PlantsRushes (Juncus spp.), Sedges (Carex spp.), Bulrush (Scirpus spp.), Cattail (Typha spp.), Spike Rush (Heleocharis spp.), along edges are Willows (Salix spp.), Cottonwood (Populus spp.), Alders (Alnus spp.)

Australian Freshwater Plants
    http://www.watergardenparadise.com.a...liannative.php

Additional Plants

Hydrilla plant <<--this species is invasive in North America. It could use some "weeding out". You could use your top to raise awareness.
    And here's another, from a page called "digplanet.com".

Elodea is native to North America and is also widely used as aquarium vegetation. It lives in freshwater. The introduction of some species of Elodea into waterways in parts of Europe, Australia, Africa, Asia, and New Zealand has created a significant problem and it is now considered a noxious weed in these areas.

And here's a list from the same site for European plants
    http://www.digplanet.com/wiki/List_of_fen_plants

Actually, here's their whole index for aquatic plant-life and related subjects.
    http://www.digplanet.com/wiki/Category:Aquatic_plants

Last edited by Mermaid Dottie; 07-08-2013 at 11:03 PM.
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Dottie View Post
    Here's a list of Freshwater plants native to certain areas. If anymer would like to expand on this list, be my guest.

North American Freshwater Plants

Here's an aquarium site with Rocky Mountain native aquatics.
    http://store.seacorals.net/romoaqpl.html

Great Plains
    http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/plants/vascplnt/

Pacific Northwest
    https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/publicat...ns/0603004.pdf

North Eastern U.S.
    http://www.edgeofthewoodsnursery.com/plants (Scroll a little ways down for their aquatic plants section.)

South Eastern U.S.
    http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/598

Californian Marsh PlantsRushes (Juncus spp.), Sedges (Carex spp.), Bulrush (Scirpus spp.), Cattail (Typha spp.), Spike Rush (Heleocharis spp.), along edges are Willows (Salix spp.), Cottonwood (Populus spp.), Alders (Alnus spp.)

Australian Freshwater Plants
    http://www.watergardenparadise.com.a...liannative.php

Additional Plants

Hydrilla plant <<--this species is invasive in North America. It could use some "weeding out". You could use your top to raise awareness.
    And here's another, from a page called "digplanet.com".

Elodea is native to North America and is also widely used as aquarium vegetation. It lives in freshwater. The introduction of some species of Elodea into waterways in parts of Europe, Australia, Africa, Asia, and New Zealand has created a significant problem and it is now considered a noxious weed in these areas.

And here's a list from the same site for European plants
    http://www.digplanet.com/wiki/List_of_fen_plants

Actually, here's their whole index for aquatic plant-life and related subjects.
    http://www.digplanet.com/wiki/Category:Aquatic_plants

ooo nice.

Though I will say the digplanet list is for one specific habitat - large open fens are kinda marshy waterways, much of which was drained in the last two centuries so it could be converted to farmland.

I know there are lots of other uk aquatic plants that are native (though as with most of our plantlife, a great deal are exotics collected from all around the world which I would think of as native now but aren't historically.

I would add wild iris to the list myself =)

All right, so recently I decided to have a crack at actually finishing this top. I was initially planning to make a shell top while I figured out what to do with this one, but I'm having much trouble finding decently-priced, nice-looking shells that'll fit my 32E/34DD boobs -___-

So, this is the top by itself:

Not really something that would work without a lot of bra-adhesive. Also wouldn't offer a lot of support for my size.

Tried adding netting to it, to see what it would look like:

The netting would add a bit more support, but might be uncomfortable when I tied it tight enough to offer that support.

So I got my favourite bikini top out and held it up to that:

I like it much better (cleavage central, though...) but it doesn't fully cover the bikini.

Tried adding some foliage (ignore the fact that one side is hanging down - there was no way I could hold up both sides and take a decent photo, haha):

With netting added:

I can't decide what I like. I kind of also don't want to use my best bikini top, but it's for a good cause I suppose xD
    Any ideas/feedback/advice?

Senior Member Pod of The South Carolina Mermaid's Avatar
    I love the last two!!!!

Honestly I wouldn't go with the extra fake plants. The top looks AMAZING (seriously- awesome!), and I think the fake plants would cheapen the look. That's of course just my opinion. My girls aren't as big as yours, but I'm a D cup and I find using a strapless bra with netting halter straps not only gives you loads of support, but also gives it a nicer look than a bikini top Sometimes you have to dish out more money (I pay $40 a pop for mine) but it's worth it IMO for that better look!

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

You could have your netting straps criss-cross in the back. I think that's loads more comfy and supportive. Doesn't kill my neck as much.
    Mermaid Dottie

Yeah, I like the look of the leaves but they're a shitty colour. They're aquarium plants, so I guess they're super bright so they'll look better underwater. If I could find some that better match the colour of the lily pads I'd give it another shot.

My main problem with using a strapless bra is they tend to cover a lot more skin than regular bras, which means more bra-hiding for me to do. I'll have a search for one that plunges a bit more and has a thinner band across the back. Not as great support-wise, but if I'm using the netting as support that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the advice girls!

Update on my lily pad top:

Tacked the lily pads to a strapless bra that plunged at the centre (hard to find!), cut the back band off and sewed netting in its place, and glued slightly less fake-looking leaves to the bottom of the lily pads instead of the top like I had originally positioned them.

Next step will be sewing more netting on to make halter straps (there's no way this would stay on as is) and gluing down the lily pads properly. I'm really happy with how it looks so far!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I love it!
    We need more freshwater mermaid stuff.

(I always wondered why there is no name for "freshwater mermaid" in English.
    There are tons of different terms in other languages, depending on where the mermaid lives.
    So inconvenient)