Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mer-Orca pod anyone?

LOL everyone here is apart of the Mer-orca pod,

@Freckled kisses I would love to see your ideas Ill send you one of mine via pm when i get this computer scanner actually working

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    Researching material for my orca tail right now!
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Chesapeake Pod
    Just got done with a design! I'll post pictures tomorrow
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    This is an awesome idea, my only concern is with the idea of calling it a pod. All the other pods are based on location, and are intended for people to be able to meet as a group. And with the exception of people that consider two places home, people are basically in one pod, representing where they live.

This is a group based on sharing a similar style of tail, so if it was a pod it could really confuse people as to what the pods are exactly. I think it would be better to call this something other than a pod to avoid confusion, like the Orca Club, or the Orca Tribe, or the Society of Orcinus or something. I could try to help make a logo for the group if you want. You guys would look pretty awesome as your own little group at conventions.

Quote Originally Posted by malinghi View Post
    This is an awesome idea, my only concern is with the idea of calling it a pod. All the other pods are based on location, and are intended for people to be able to meet as a group. And with the exception of people that consider two places home, people are basically in one pod, representing where they live.

This is a group based on sharing a similar style of tail, so if it was a pod it could really confuse people as to what the pods are exactly. I think it would be better to call this something other than a pod to avoid confusion, like the Orca Club, or the Orca Tribe, or the Society of Orcinus or something. I could try to help make a logo for the group if you want. You guys would look pretty awesome as your own little group at conventions.
    What about, instead of pods, schools, like a school of fish? The Orca School, the Betta School, the Koi/Goldfish School, the Shark School, the Dolphin School, the Cephalopod School, etc? Performances at a mer convention of several mers from one school might be really impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained! View Post
    The Orca School
    Fish have schools! Orcas have pods. If anything, it's the fish who should change! :P

I don't speak for the others here, but I kind of like to think there's more to it than just 'being interested in the same kind of tail'. Otherwise, why aren't 'people with blue tails' banding together?

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Fish have schools! Orcas have pods. If anything, it's the fish who should change! :P
    In my opinion I think that the term pod should apply to all merfolk, and it shouldn't be based simply on whatever species the lower body bears a resemblance to. Mermaids have plenty of mammalian traits- hell, the word mammal comes from the latin "mamma", as in mammary. You know, boobs. Mermaids certainly have boobs!

Even if you wanted to debate the biology, and you could, cause there are versions where they lay eggs, versions where they have vertical tails, versions where they're hairless, ect, the fact is that schools aren't social or communal groups. They're just a crowd that's moving in synchronization due to the evolutionary advantages of moving as a group. But unlike pods, schools of fish don't stay together for long periods of time or have language or culture or anything, while pods do. So based on the functional and cultural and social aspects of what a pod is, I think it applies to a group of merfolk.

Anyway, about what to call the group, I think there are a bunch of good terms for cultural groups that would avoid the confusion that calling this a pod might cause. What about a club, or a tribe, or a society, or a clan, or a family...

Thoughts?

Lol at the mermaids/boobs comment Malinghi

I never realy meant for it to be placed like that but I guess i meant how many merfolks on here were planning to make a mermaid tail its a worldwide "pod/clan/family"- but "Mer- Orca Society" or "Mer-Orca Clan"- I'm open to it.

I think "Mer-OrcaClan" would be better considering the meaning of it :
    "group of people united by actual or perceived kinship and descent."
    Last edited by New York Mermaid; 01-31-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by malinghi View Post
    Thoughts?
    Well, I did say ":P" Still, here mermaids have pods because we declared they do, and that's fine. Orcas always had pods.

I could get behind 'tribe'. Or 'cabal'. Or 'syndicate'!

mers joined together by their interest/love of orcas..

@Matt *cough cough*still a pod *cough*

Kidding

Seems there's enough difference in the names to prevent confusion between regional and interest pods.

Alveric

Chesapeake Pod
    Okay so...I got a test swatch for this fabric

It seems to hold up pretty well in the water
    The fabric stretches just enough and is super
    easy to sew. + I really love the shine to it

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Aqua View Post
    Okay so...I got a test swatch for this fabric
    How long did the swatch take to arrive?

Actually, it turns out that it is perfectly acceptable in English to refer to a group of whales as a gam of whales, a herd of whales, a pod of whales or a school of whales. Dolphins are usually referred to as pods, and while orcas are part of that family, they are still referred to as killer whales, for the most part. I like "school" because it can imply a philosophy and mutual interest (as in a school of thought, school of martial arts, etc) as opposed to a clan (which has negative connotations thanks to the KKK), and both clan and tribe involve a concept of heritage and bloodline, though I do prefer tribe better. Anyone know any Inuit/Aleutian terms for tribe?

Chesapeake Pod
    OrcaMatt- I had ordered it last week and it got here today

I was surfing google when I found this...
    Name:  386205_257675974288702_206185242771109_702978_864852819_n[1].jpg
Views: 282
Size:  17.5 KB
    The tail was made by Tails4u.com

Love this idea. What a cool sight it would be to see a bunch of orca merfolk swimming together!
    If you'd like to friend me on Facebook, click here.

I actually have a half-finished orca tail with a standing dorsal fin if anyone's interested.
    I can take the final measurements but it was set to fit my cousin and she's a pretty tall chick. I sort of abandoned the project and it's been laying around unused.
    I have a monofin for it too, I'll have to check all the measurements and stuff and get back to you guys- these photos are about a year old now.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7..._/IMG_1178.jpg
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7..._/IMG_1149.jpg
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kanti View Post
    I actually have a half-finished orca tail with a standing dorsal fin if anyone's interested.
    I can take the final measurements but it was set to fit my cousin and she's a pretty tall chick. I sort of abandoned the project and it's been laying around unused.
    I have a monofin for it too, I'll have to check all the measurements and stuff and get back to you guys- these photos are about a year old now.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7..._/IMG_1178.jpg
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7..._/IMG_1149.jpg
    That. Is. Awesome!

What is it made out of?

@Kanti - That IS Awesome! How tall of a person is it made for and what is it made out of?

Other thoughts - I think we're a little different than people banding together because of tail colour. We are lovers of using a mammal as our bottom portion instead of the traditional fish.

Anyways, I like the sound of 'cabal'. And Orca Cabal? Yes please!
    Follow me as I start my journey to become Mermaid Bjossa...
    http://becomingbjossa.blogspot.com/

It's an Alex and neoprene tail. The fin has a wire fed through it so it can be bent and stuff. Still, it's a bit difficult to size properly because of the fin.

The following are halved measurements. For the full circumference just multiply by 2.
    The widest part around the waist is 38.5"
    Widest part around the calves is 22"
    Shortest part around the ankles is 15.2"
    The length of the tail from approx waist to approx ankles is about 35-36"

However, it is still left open. I never got to sew it closed on her so you could adjust it plus or minus a few inches.
    Those measurements are just the ideal since that's what I centered the pattern on.

The shoe size for the monofin I have is just a tad big on me so I'd say its about 8-9 women's
    Of course, you could just attach your own monofin to it.
    Last edited by Kanti; 03-17-2012 at 05:10 PM.
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook