Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Stuffed" or Padded tail ideas?

"Stuffed" or Padded tail ideas?

I am trying to brainstorm ways to fill out a tail out in order to hide the leg structure underneath. I don't like to see the concave gap between legs, or knees/ankles/monofin in mermaid tails. I like it when the tail looks round and solid all the way to the fluke. Has anyone tried different materials to pad the inside of the tail in order to hide your legs underneath? I know neoprene is a bit thicker than a spandex or a lycra for the tail skin, but I can still see the leg structure underneath most neoprene tails. Silicone is better, and hides the gap between the legs but you can usually still see the ankle and monofin protrusions, and sometimes the knees. Maybe if a thick enough neoprene AND silicone are used, and maybe some smaller fins to hide ankle protrusions..? I just don't know enough yet to wrap my head around some ideas, and I didn't see any other threads already touching on the subject ^_^. I have to research monofins more, as well, but are there some monofins that have a much smaller profile on the heel than others?

To that extent, I would also like to find ways to extend my actual legs before applying the fluke, and would therefor need a solid something to fill the space after my feet and before the fluke, that won't drag me down and drown me.
    User formerly known as "Tarapotamus".

The Finis Competitor puts less heel-like structure to it but it's still not fantastic. I assume you've seen the H2O tails, right? That's really the best way, albeit expensive and not very practical either (you can't flip your fluke very well). As for wrapping the legs, H2O (mostly what I consider to be *some of* the most realistic tails out there) mostly used neoprene covered with the silicone, but it's thick neoprene I believe. They used a LOT of it (and somehow could sink!) and it did a really good job of it. Unfortunately I don't have much more to offer than that.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Traveling Merman's Avatar

Check out mermaid lindens tail at least I think that's her name!
    Travelling Merman

Quote Originally Posted by MerEmma View Post
    I assume you've seen the H2O tails, right? That's really the best way, albeit expensive and not very practical either (you can't flip your fluke very well). As for wrapping the legs, H2O (mostly what I consider to be *some of* the most realistic tails out there) mostly used neoprene covered with the silicone, but it's thick neoprene I believe. They used a LOT of it (and somehow could sink!) and it did a really good job of it. Unfortunately I don't have much more to offer than that.
    Yeah they do have really realistic looking tails....I have no idea what they use for making them though besides just thick neoprene and silicone....

Mermaid Linden's tail looks good when she is just sitting but I can see her calves and ankles and monofin shape XD

I'm thinking of the wrong mermaid then
    Travelling Merman

Quote Originally Posted by Traveling Merman View Post
    I'm thinking of the wrong mermaid then
    well maybe not, here's the google image search https://www.google.com/search?q=merm...nYDIBw#imgrc=_
    some of her shots it looks really awesome, so its hard to say, definitely looks more real than most.

Oh yeah! That's her, I can't see her heels like you said?

I think I remember an interview with her, saying that that was the thickest you can safely go (she's a strong strong strong swimmer) for weight and manoeuvrability?
    Travelling Merman

Or am I wrong?
    Travelling Merman

Quote Originally Posted by Traveling Merman View Post
    Oh yeah! That's her, I can't see her heels like you said?

I think I remember an interview with her, saying that that was the thickest you can safely go (she's a strong strong strong swimmer) for weight and manoeuvrability?
    well hers is really really good, the only thing you can see most the time is the lump on the back of her heel from her foot/monofin and sometimes her calf muscles, but even that is ttly ok, it's the leg gap and knees that bug me most! So she just used the thickest neoprene? not that I will be able to afford neoprene anytime soon hehe, esp nice stuff.

Name:  DSC01999.jpg
Views: 1704
Size:  30.5 KB
    Name:  mermaid-5176-edit.jpg
Views: 1804
Size:  329.3 KB

I wonder if I could use headliner foam (100% poly) as an inner layer? I may test this.

She used sclicone I thought?
    Travelling Merman

http://www.themertailor.com/

Name:  17_Gold_4a.jpg
Views: 2274
Size:  64.1 KB Name:  18_Gold_4b.jpg
Views: 3381
Size:  110.7 KB

That style is my favorite. The fluke shape is amazing. Check out his web page. The Mertailor is the best tail maker out there in my option.
    "Somebody's got to nail that girl's fins to the floor"-Sebastian from The Little Mermaid

gorgeous tail~! her heels are hidden VERY well! But you can see all the leg detailing on the front of her legs :| anyways I am not looking to commission one bc of $, I will be making my own, so I am just brainstorming

She did use silicone fully. She had it specifically poured to her body shape.
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

The foam would probably work, but it would also float quite a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by MerEmma View Post
    The foam would probably work, but it would also float quite a good deal.
    yes for sure, but headliner foam is very thin and quite porous, I have no idea how floatatious it is, I would have to test it, but it would not be anywhere near as strong as say a high density foam (green stuff).

The Mertailor Photoshop's all of his photos, so that's really not what I would look like if you were to wear it.

Mermaid Linden on the other hand had a special affects artist create hers. Like Mermaid Lorelei said, it was full silicone and pored specifically for her.

As for the thickening, perhaps multiple layers of neoprene? I too think that the foam would float.

The extended tails have been tried a lot, but without much success. Many of them end up much too thick, but that is my opinion :P You are referring to the footplate correct?

•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•
    "The breaking of a wave cannot explain the whole sea."
    •○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•
    ○•○•○•○•

-Vladimir Nabokov

headliner foam is not like regular foam, its that really thin stuff the roof on the inside of your car is lined with. I think my body is much heavier than any floatation power it might have...but I will post progress if I go that route...as far as extensions, yes I imagine it would be hard to tackle....I was thinking to fill an empty cavity, tulle could be used bc it weighs nothing at all, does not soak up water, and you can pack a lot of it into a small space....but then I am left with the question of how can I swim without my feet being connected to my fluke? I'd maybe have to find a way to secure a rod of come sort, or some other apparatus...I haven't gotten that far yet lol

Foam will make your tail more buoyant, more silicone will make it very heavy on land, not to mention that is a LOT of extra silicone you're going to need! No idea, really. I think Lorelei is right, you can hide the heels best if you have a mold of your legs, that way you know where to add extra.

@Mads - I'm pretty sure that mertailor picture is photoshopped xD
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Do NOT use headliner Foam. It will break down very fast when wetted over extended periods
    If you go with foam. Get the outdoor patio furnature foam. It is made to be wet and outside. It will last much longer. You canget it at a decent price at JoAnn Fabrics. Plus it is dense enough to be "sculpted" to fill the leg gap.

As for hiding heels. Check out my Mermaid Creations tail. I think We effectively hid my heels while swimming with my heel fins. I also have a split dorsal to also detract from the calf hump and knee dip.

I do hope that helps.

**Those Mertailor pictures are most definetly photoshopped. As a digital artist I can spot digital manipulations and "cover ups" on images. All-be- it they did a pretty darn good job but you can still spot the clone tool usage if you know where to look.**