Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting over panic issues

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Artisankatie's Avatar
    Hi Ilythia!
    I'm also terrified of ANYTHING in the sea that is bigger than me! Sharks, dolphins, rays, you name it.
    I was also terrified of all other fish as well until I went swimming on a reef and found it was just like being in a butterfly house underwater.
    Maybe go somewhere where the water is very clear and you can see all around you - and wear a snorkel so you don't have to worry about blurry vision or water getting up your nose or having to hold your breath. You might be able to find a company that will let you experience big animals in a controlled environment. After a while you might find you're not scared anymore
    My tail is modeled on a Mandarin Fish, so it's very brightly coloured - I'm hoping it will make any animals think I'm poisonous!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Elle's Avatar
    Follow Elle On Twitter
    Visit Elle's Youtube Channel
    I love swimming in inlets. I've been doing it since I was about 12. Going out to where it's easily twice my height in depth and going to the bottom and seeing what I can find. I never had an issue with panic, cos i figured "I float, so when i need to go back up my own buoyancy plus me kicking will get me up fine". I think just knowing you will be able to come back up when you want to is helpful. But that's what just works for me.

Thanks girls Elle what would you specify as an inlet? is that like a little cove or something? Both your ideas sound good I will have to try it when I can perhaps go out with a group or something.
    Cheers xx

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Elle's Avatar
    Follow Elle On Twitter
    Visit Elle's Youtube Channel
    like a river that is directly attached to the sea. so the tide goes in and out in time with whatever beach it's attached to like this one. Name:  scenery-hills-inlet.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  25.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor is a Mermaid View Post
    but when I am I hum under the water. Music is soothing and serves as a distraction from the fear.
    Music is great, but how does one hum underwater? Humming expels air. I just tried plugging my nose and humming - uhh didn't work. Unless you mean you're playing a song in your head...? Just trying to understand so I could perhaps try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Broussard View Post
    If it doesn't calm you down then come up very slowly. Try and come up controlled every time so you are not conditioning your mind to panic when your Co2 levels get to high.
    Ooh, that's a big mistake I make. I am typically calm and happy underwater, but when I feel the need for oxygen I tend to try and surface too fast. I notice that I can't hold my breath as long as I used to, and upon hearing this I think my surfacing panic is the issue. I'll certainly work on that.

I really agree with SilverSiren. When I am doing tricks is when I hit the panic mode of "surface, QUICKLY!" But when I am swimming from point A to point B I am very, very calm. Peaceful, even! I have a deep dolphin kick which moves me faster than the seizure-like motions using only the back legs. In moving my entire body, the swim becomes very automatic and I am simply enjoying the ride and feeling like one with the water. So yeah! Calm helps a lot.
    (Now I just need to utilize it myself when I need to get more air while doing tricks.)