Thread: Racist Gamestop Add

Racist Gamestop Add

So I was watching TV and I came across THIS commercial:

Now I am not offended at this character at all, I thought this commercial was whatever and I could care less how they stuck a stereotypical American's idea of a Russian guy and basically made fun of him.
    What PISSES me off to high heaven is that Gamestop, or anyone else for that matter, would NEVER pull that crap with say, an African based stereotypical character. I can already imagine the tidal wave of "this offends me!" if they had put some African witchdoctor dancing around to represent Africa.

I seriously hate how we want to fight racism so bad yet we are completely okay with making fun of Russians blatantly and openly yet it would be totally blown off TV if it were a black person.
    Not trying to distinguish between black and white just saying I think if you're going to make fun of party A, you need to make fun of party B as well or else you're being just as racist -__- And if you can't or don't want to make fun of party A then DONT MAKE FUN OF PARTY B
    </rant>

Any thoughts?
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar
    Yeaaah that was strange. It doesn't even make sense to be honest. That's a pretty sharp jab and I'm pretty loose about what's raciest.

I don't see racism here.

Heheh let's just say not all Russians wear those hats or are part of the Soviet Union anymore xD
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Nyx's Avatar
    Add Nyx on Facebook
    Follow Nyx on Tumblr Visit Nyx's Youtube Channel
    I don't know if it was intended racist,
    it looks to me like they were trying to say:
    "This is cliche and lame, don't be this guy, get a proper superhero game"

Add Nyx on Facebook
    Though you are right, if it was based around a cliche black character people would blow up. It's silly, getting so overly offended by poorly made jokes, sure it's rude but why get all frustrated. I get my good deal of 'oh look a mexican' jokes (I'm venezuelan btw) and the best way to deal with it is by ignoring it . . .

Yea! I mean I was just very like "geeze there's some one-sided racism"
    But I did laugh at the commercial, I thought it was funny xD
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Add Nyx on Facebook
    Hahaha yeah!
    Oh what I loved the most was how the lady and the thief just stopped struggling for the bag, I half expected them to just walk off together saying "what a nutjob!' or sumething XD

Lol! Yea I expected them both to jump him at the end or something lol
    I actually laughed at the fact that the commercial was literally 2 minutes of the guy swinging the salami around haha xD
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

I can see your point, Kanti, and the duration of the commercial was long enough to be tedious, but the theme is the "Red Son" pack at Game Stop for the Injustice game, referring to the Red Scare and the historical idea of a Soviet Superhero (ever done any research into the Soviets' Psychic studies? Kinda weird) and that period of time and some of the more bizarre superheroes out there. It's therefore no more racist than Steampunk or Westerns are.

Add Nyx on Facebook
    It's a delicious justice
    /oh god my bad puns <XD

Lmao
    I duno I just found it racist because it seemed totally stereotypical but I could be wrong! You are right about that, Joy.
    I do think that the superhero skins are badass as all hell! If I played Injustice I'd totally go for that look xD

@Nyx - lmfao maybe he's also a lunch guy
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

It may be prejudiced, but racist.....

I dunno
    Maybe my terminology is wrong, I basically think it's showing a stereotypical view of someone and explicitly making fun of it.
    I thought that was racism? When you basically put emphasis on race? In this case it's that the guy is a Russian.
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Technically, Russian is a national origin not a race. It's a type of bigotry, but not racism. I think that's what Aryana's trying to say.
    Alveric

For my novel, The Accidental Mermaid, go to http://mermaidsofxanadu.com/
    Coming in 2014: ​Spindrift

Ooooo okay!
    You probably know more than me xD
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

I doubt that, except just maybe on some topics.
    Alveric

For my novel, The Accidental Mermaid, go to http://mermaidsofxanadu.com/
    Coming in 2014: ​Spindrift