Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish Butts' $500 silicone tail?

Fish Butts' $500 silicone tail?

Hi there,

So, I'm considering ordering one of Fish Butts' $500 silicone one-color tails while supplies and prices last...

I'm aware of the company's history and have been watching their progress from the beginning. The current silicone offer is tempting because 1.) $500 for a full-silicone tail, 2.) I really like the scale pattern, 3.) From the video I've seen, the fluke looks really maneuverable underwater.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Relevant experiences or reviews? It just seems like an extremely well-priced practice/first tail, and like a lot of fun to swim in.

Also, I'm curious if it would be possible for me to mod this on my own later? Could I repaint it at all if it's sealed, tinted silicone, or add fins to the heels or anything?

Thanks for your time and consideration, mer-munity!

Best,

Mergrrl
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… - Emerson

>{

www.facebook.com/
    TheModernMermaid

http://sirenizeme.wordpress.com/

I think it would be an awesome thing to get but just consider that you may not get it within a reasonable amount of time.
    I don't think Stevi is a con artist or anything and I think she will get you your tail eventually, but she is in a HUGE pinch right now and I'm pretty sure she's having a sale to help her refund her older customers, so you may not be on the priority list.
    I'd try emailing her or asking her via facebook before you order, and tell her what the situation is. If you can wait over 4 months, cool, then I think you should go for it. If not, I wouldn't. I've heard a few people ordered their tails back in October and still haven't received them and I'd also heard that some people even paid a "rush fee" and even then didn't get their tails on time, so I'd be very uneasy about getting one from her if you have a deadline to meet.
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MermaidIsis's Avatar
    Fish butts makes great tails, but saddly, horrible costomer service. I ordered a tail back in december and havent heard a word since we made the final payment. But it seens like shes been getting tails out faster. So it really depends on how long you are willing to wait.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MermaidIsis's Avatar
    *seems

I agree with Kanti. If you have any kind of deadline, I would definitely not recommend ordering a tail from Fish Butts, and I am speaking from my own personal experience. I ordered one in November and was told it would be only 4-6 weeks until I received my tail. Well...the months went by, and come mid-March I basically learned that my tail hadn't even been started. I have a trip to Hawaii planned in May, and was needing to have a tail by then. Long story short, I ended up accepting the refund option and making my own tail. However I STILL have not received my refund and who knows when I will. Just a crummy situation for me all around. I don't recommend ordering from her until she gets everything under control.

Thanks for your replies!

I believe the Fish Butts' FB page now states the wait is a minimum of 4 months, which is a long time to wait, but I'm not sure who would deliver faster than that for a similar price point?

I would love input regarding the tails themselves, and thoughts on modding after the fact...

>{

www.facebook.com/
    TheModernMermaid

Hi, I have a fish butts tail, partial silicone, and will be getting a full silicone from her at some point. You can mod it after with some dragonskin silicone and some psycho paint!
    "It is your choice to hide in a shell, or to be shrimply fintastic by being yourself"
    www.mermaidharmony.com
    MermaidHarmony@gmail.com Facebook:Mermaid Harmony Twitter: @MermaidHarmony

Mermaid Harmony, thanks!

In this video, the tail looks wonderfully light and easy to move: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jiA3gIKiW4

But do you think she is struggling from lack of propulsion?
    Last edited by MerGrrl; 04-02-2013 at 08:07 PM.

>{

www.facebook.com/
    TheModernMermaid

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Star's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Star On Twitter Add Mermaid Star on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Star's Youtube Channel
    I don't think there is any lack of propulsion. It might be harder than using a competitor fin but you would loose the fluidness if you got a more rigid monofin to propel you faster.

Follow me on facebook!

Mermaid:
    Mermaid Star

Troup:
    Sea Star Studios

Performer:
    Alexie Star

On Facebook, Stevie said that the full silicone tails are quicker to make because the scales are already laid, not to mention it's not a custom color job like the partial silicone tails. Overall, if you don't mind having just one solid color and the fact that your tail will take at least four months to make, I think its a great deal. Personally, I don't mind waiting a long time for a tail. I've been waiting my whole life, and even if it takes a year (which hopefully doesn't happen) I can wait a bit longer. Plus, they swim beautifully, and the fluke is so fluid.
    formerly known as Julianne.

Also remember that the full silicone is really partial silicone. There is neoprene lining.

Julianne has a point.
    Usually you just pour the silicone into a mold and then all you have to do is just take in the sides. But I still asume she's probably very busy even so, so 4 months is about a good estimate for your wait.
    You might get it sooner, who knows.
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Oh I thought she was making them FULL silicone, hence the name?? o_O
    They're still lined with neoprene?
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Where did it say they were lined with Neoprene? I haven't read that anywhere.

They have neoprene. Check around on her FB FAQ, the site and on here. On the thread discussing her sale by Morticia Mermaid, it was mentioned there. I'm surprised you don't remember, Kanti, lol. But yes, there's neoprene in there!

When she first started selling them she had them lined with neoprene, but I thought she gave up "latex" tails to basically make the "partial" silicone and then she changed it to "full" silicone?
    I mean, I haven't really been following her closely, that's just what I assumed happened.
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Senior Member Pod of Texas MermaidSaku's Avatar
    Awesome i was thinking about getting one in the future after i finish saving up for my first car. : / it seems like it would be alot of fun : X

Per the Fish Butts' website:

Partial Silicone Tails (discontinued):

- Made completely of Neoprene with a thin layer of dragonskin silicone and pressed scales.
    - Are painted on the Neoprene underneath the Layer of clear silicone scales

Full Silicone Tails:
    -Are lined with a thin layer of neoprene and thick raised scales along with a Full silicone Fluke.

Does that help?

Thanks, Star. I have some back problems so I don't want to start off with a super-stiff monofin - but I'd still like to have some nice propulsion.
    Last edited by MerGrrl; 04-03-2013 at 12:00 AM.

>{

www.facebook.com/
    TheModernMermaid

Oh boy, another silly question, probably, but how did you guys pick/show which color you wanted? It says on the Fish Butts website that you can choose "any color." Like, ANY color? :P

I want to do something turquoisy-sea green, kinda like this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1033615...rint-mouse-pad

but perhaps a bit darker/greener:
    http://natureinfocus.files.wordpress...0161ablog6.jpg

Are there ways to see what colors might look like once, er, siliconed?

I just want to say how nice it is to have people to whom I can ask these questions. I'm more a lurker than a poster, but very much value and appreciate all the in-depth technical discussion on here. Go savvy mers.

>{

www.facebook.com/
    TheModernMermaid

I just ordered one, a deep aqua tail. I didn't know how it would look on silicone either, so when I ordered I edited a picture from her site to the color I wanted so she would know what I'm picturing. Attachment 10480

And when it says "any" color, I think as long as its one solid color, she can do it. Btw, I love that color! Its really pretty.