Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish Butts' $500 silicone tail?

I think the peacock coloration in gorgeous! But like Julianne said, I think only one color is allowed.
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Right, yes, one color. I'm tryna decide on/isolate the one color. Not a photoshop-savvy mer. :P

Julianne, I can't see your attachment for some reason, though I'd love to!

I think I will head to the fabric store and pull out lengths of fabric to kinda get a feel for what would look good on.

Thanks for all your help, everyone!
    Last edited by MerGrrl; 04-03-2013 at 07:05 PM.
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… - Emerson

>{

www.facebook.com/
    TheModernMermaid

http://sirenizeme.wordpress.com/

Eesh, I feel really silly. The color I want is teal. I knew what teal was, of course, but then I actually googled images of it and was like, yeah, that's it.

>{

www.facebook.com/
    TheModernMermaid

Member Pod of The South Marilla's Avatar
    Oooh, can anyone say tax refund? *spent* lol

xoxo ~ Marilla
    User formerly known as "Errngwir".

At night I sit and dream of a cozy sandstone cave on the shore of the Mediterranean Sea, of all the places in the world that I've been, it is there I wish to be...

I'm glad I am a woman who once danced naked in the Mediterranean Sea at midnight.
    ~Mercedes McCambridge

Just received a dire warning that "it's impossible to make a $500 silicone tail unless the materials are ill-gotten"? Is this true?

My understanding was that customer satisfaction had improved of late regarding product from this tailmaker, and that methods had become more uniform and reliable.

Thoughts?

>{

www.facebook.com/
    TheModernMermaid

Hopefully the photo shows up this time. It's pretty simple anyways, I just edited the main color, nothing too fancy or complicated.
    Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 503
Size:  181.6 KB

On a side note, I think the tails are so inexpensive because of the fact they're one solid color. Heck, what do I know? But I think on color is a lot less complicated then having to add/mix/(whatever you do) multiple colors. But hey, I could be completely wrong here. Just making a guess here.

Quote Originally Posted by MerGrrl View Post
    Just received a dire warning that "it's impossible to make a $500 silicone tail unless the materials are ill-gotten"? Is this true?

My understanding was that customer satisfaction had improved of late regarding product from this tailmaker, and that methods had become more uniform and reliable.

Thoughts?

The "cost to make" discussion has happened on here previously
    . She gets most if not all of her materials discount or whole sale, and has a silicone supplier that sells to her wholesale, which most people do not have access to. That is all I know though *shrug*

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

I don't see why you couldn't be able to make a silicone tail for that much?
    I mean, she does line them in neoprene, someone told me, so that saves a lot of moolah.

But it is a bit strange because if she was selling them at $500 I imagine she wouldn't really be making enough to really profit off it? I mean, that's what I assume. But Iona may be right, she just might get it wholesale.
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Fish Butts' $500 silicone tail?

Well, it is just a tax season sale. It ends on the 15th. The $500 price tag is not permanent. If it were though, I doubt she'd be making a huge profit.
    formerly known as Julianne.

Oh, Juliana - yours is the one on the Fish Butts' FB page that I've been drooling over! Wow, great job with the color - I presumed this tail was a done deal. Don't worry, that's not the color I'm after (I'm planning on greener/darker).

Winged Mermaid, THANK YOU for the link.

Kanti, thanks for weighing in, I was hoping to hear your opinion, since you'd posted the silicone tutorial.

Thanks again for the fin-holding, mers!

>{

www.facebook.com/
    TheModernMermaid

Hehe no prob!
    Hope everything works out great!
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Don't be afraid to order from them i'm getting one too. except min is 650 because of the custom fluke.

Thats a beautiful tail, enjoy it!!!!! <3

such a pretty tail!

I am not the admin of this page, it was started yesterday and I totally support and back it! If you have been burned, ripped off, or left out to dry then join this group and lets make voice a pod of voice to be heard! Ps. You can also report their page as a scam, if a company is continuing to take money from its clients and NOT delivering on any promises, then it is a SCAM and its ILLEGAL

https://www.facebook.com/phishphanny
    User formerly known as "InTheEyesofMarch".

Hey hey hey, take it easy with the cross-posting, will you?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Yulia View Post
    Hey hey hey, take it easy with the cross-posting, will you?
    THANK YOU! (I couldn't remember the term cross-posting.)

They still have the neoprene lining. I was talking to one of the Denver mermaids and she says that they aren't happy with the tails I ordered a full silicone tail in March and I'm still waiting.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My heart is pierced by Cupid, I disdain all glittering gold,
    There is nothing that can console me but my jolly sailor bold.
    ~ETSY: Trove by the Sea~Google +~FACEBOOK~
    mermaidmarissa.studios@gmail.com

"Imagine a life of wonder"

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    yeah I heard the Denver mermaids are going with someone else now

Quote Originally Posted by Julianne View Post
    On Facebook, Stevie said that the full silicone tails are quicker to make because the scales are already laid, not to mention it's not a custom color job like the partial silicone tails. Overall, if you don't mind having just one solid color and the fact that your tail will take at least four months to make, I think its a great deal. Personally, I don't mind waiting a long time for a tail. I've been waiting my whole life, and even if it takes a year (which hopefully doesn't happen) I can wait a bit longer. Plus, they swim beautifully, and the fluke is so fluid.
    My thoughts exactly.