Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to Modify (Extend) a Finis Rapid Monofin

Sorry for the late reply. I do not currently have any extra neoprene, but when I get some I will try that.
    ~Daughter of the Ocean, Princess of the Waves~
    Not really active, but always mermaidy
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/FloridaMerfolk/

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Crystal Shimmer's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer On Twitter Add Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Tumblr Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Flickr Visit Mermaid Crystal Shimmer's Youtube Channel
    Question, will this method (e6000 and gorilla tape) also work for the Finis Foil?

I just did a gorilla tape fluke and had to remove all the tape after my swim test. Even though I taped it really good, water still got inside adding weight. Over time the tape will probably peel off. I don't recommend the tape method for any swimmable fin.

Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer On Twitter Add Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Tumblr Follow Mermaid Crystal Shimmer on Flickr Visit Mermaid Crystal Shimmer's Youtube Channel
    Thank you. Then I'll try the original method. =)

I have the foil and it's modified with this method. I recommend leaving out the screws though.

Only glueing it down with e6000? Will that hold?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Gosalyn View Post
    I have the foil and it's modified with this method. I recommend leaving out the screws though.
    Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your monofin? I have a foil and would like to use this method to extend it, but I honestly can't picture the extension in my head.
    formerly known as Julianne.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I have a gorilla tape extension and yeah water gets in, but it doesn't peel, it's been nearly a year now. It's not a perfect method but I still swear by it. As far as making it heavy idk why that happened. Maybe it was just the drag of your fin. Floppier fins are "heavier" in the water no matter what they're made of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Cali Usagi's Avatar
    Does anyone know if this will work in a silicone tail?
    Do you want this anemone to sting you?
    ......yes!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Ashton's Avatar
    Add Ashton on Facebook Add Ashton on Google+
    Follow Ashton on Tumblr Visit Ashton's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by sydthefairebrat View Post
    Does anyone know if this will work in a silicone tail?
    I have done it, it works with a silicone tail, but the silicone does not stick to the poly vinyl sheeting. What I decided to do was drill holes in only the tips of the fluke (only 1 per side) and then glue the silicone to itself through those holes.

Uhm. Oh my gods. This is. This. Yes. Thank you.

My only question: can I purchase the PVC sheets in smaller quantities from anywhere? I live in a tiny apartment and honestly probably don't have space to be making or storing a tail to begin with, let alone and excess of material.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Quote Originally Posted by theMerFanc View Post
    Uhm. Oh my gods. This is. This. Yes. Thank you.

My only question: can I purchase the PVC sheets in smaller quantities from anywhere? I live in a tiny apartment and honestly probably don't have space to be making or storing a tail to begin with, let alone and excess of material.
    You could try asking the Lowe's/Home Depot it they'll let you, but they don't sell it in smaller sheets. It does roll up though, mine is rolled up to about 2x2 feet right now for storage.

Hey Moonflower, do you know if this would work with Lexan? And would you still need to sandwich the monofin? I'm not sure if only one layer would be okay or if that could break my fin D:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Julianne View Post
    Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your monofin? I have a foil and would like to use this method to extend it, but I honestly can't picture the extension in my head.
    I just saw this, I'm sorry! Unfortunately the fin is very stuck in my tail, and sewn in as well. I can try to take some pictures of it inside the tail to give you an idea of what it looks like though!

Sorry for double posting. I am not able to get clear pictures of the modified monofin, I'm sorry. I'm in the middle of moving (and leaving it behind for now), or I'd be able to help better.