Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Teenagers thinking they can actually PHYSICALLY transform into a merperson?

Teenagers thinking they can actually PHYSICALLY transform into a merperson?

Has anyone else come across this? I was just shown a blog on tumblr that is about mermaids, but not in the sense that I'm familiar with. These people are convinced that they can become merfolk through rituals and shifting and spellwork. It looks like it's all young teenagers though...

As far as I know, we're all in this as entertainment, as a connection to the sea, to raise awareness, and/or for fun. It looks like these kids have been watching too much H2O. Is anyone here in the mer-magic community? I'm curious and I'd like to hear a first hand account of what this is about.

It's mostly pre-teens. Heck, I went through a time of it too. I think it's fine until you start harassing/annoying tailmakers, as I like the imagination! :P

Yea I always see little girl stuff, at least I assume/hope so. ESPECIALLY when they do those chainletters thats like
    "SAY MERMAIDS 50 TIMES AND POST THIS ON 300 PEOPLE'S WALLS" That shits always all over youtube xD
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

I'm sure it's harmless. I looked at some of the "spells" and they're just chants and salt water. As long as they're not doing anything that hurts themselves or others, it's probably fine.

I mostly see pre-teens on youtube saying, "This spell REALLY works! Don't ask me to show you my tail, don't blame me if it tastes gross or doesn't work." The only thing that bugs me is it seems to get kids to think telling untruths over the internet is okay...which could lead to future scammers, lol. I just have a hard time with untruths. Another problem I have is some of these kids are mixing things that are really not good for them, even doing unsanitary things.

But if it's just some water and food coloring and they're saying it's just for fun and is fiction, that's fine with me!

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

as someone who does strongly believe in magic, i highly there is a spell for changing yourself into a mermaid/man, and even if there was, it'd be extremely difficult and dangerous.
    i don't personally practice magic, but i am close with people who do. and i'm pretty firm about if you don't know what you're doing, you shouldn't attempt it. while what these girls are doing is probably just harmless fun, i always tell them that actually messing with magic is dangerous if you don't know anything about it.
    i think it's silly, but if they're having fun and not hurting anyone, then whatever lol.

​formerly Mermaid Brianna

I also have a friend who dabbles in magic. (hey we seriously got a lotta things in common!)

Someone should probably tell them it ain't good to spread lies over the net.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Miel's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Miel's Youtube Channel
    This is actually one of my Pet Peeves and it can get pretty Nasty. I read one in YahooAnswers where you Kill a human and toss the corpse at fishermen then go drown yourself.

In response, I've posted this question. Can you go provide some true factual answers.
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6194252AAqh9gP

I already had to report two answers. One told me to decapitate my legs and the other told me to drown myself.

Three Answers Reported.

Smile and Wave says:
    Take 300 pounds of steak, carve it into a meat-maid tail & slip into it. Jump DEEP into the ocean. Don't worry about sharks, sharks are friends....

And she's listed as a Top Contributor.

While it would be cool to be able to transform into a merman, and I do have a set of tarot cards that advocates visualizing shapeshifting and a book on connecting with animals spiritually, I do think that considering oneself capable of becoming a physical mermaid takes some of simplicity of swimming as a mer in our fashion and the spirituality of the other varieties. I don't really see the point of trying it, except as a cry for attention.

Like joy&raptors said, its for attention and that it really :/ It is really annoying that they are ALL OVER every mer video on the web.
    •○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•
    "The breaking of a wave cannot explain the whole sea."
    •○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•
    ○•○•○•○•

-Vladimir Nabokov

@Thalassa lol instead of it being a sign of people becoming scammers/untruthful on the Internet, I think it's more of a testimony to how bad younger people are at critical thinking these days.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

6 Answers, 3 I had to report as abusive! Will someone PLEASE respond to the question with something helpful. A Link to This Site would be Marvellous.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6194252AAqh9gP

I'm pretty sure it's not teenagers. Haha I'd say 12 and under.
    ~<3
    If you could be so kind as to like my page, I'd appreciate it:
    https://www.facebook.com/patchesthemermaid/

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
    @Thalassa lol instead of it being a sign of people becoming scammers/untruthful on the Internet, I think it's more of a testimony to how bad younger people are at critical thinking these days.
    I agree with this mostly, but how do we know its just "these days"? I wonder how much little kids used to try magic spells and stuff before the internet. They could have been and no one would know since it wasn't as visible. And while its possible none of them did, was it because they weren't as gullible, or was it because they weren't exposed to youtube comments suggesting magic spells?

I agree with malinghi, that's how I feel about it. I wasn't necessarily around "before" but I do think that we are underestimating the younger crowd with all this. If they had the Internet back then, this probably still would have happened. It's not just "today" but instead just kids in general, I believe.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Wolfen comes to mind:

Eddie Holt: Shape shifting. We do it for kicks. Turn yourself into a different animal. One night a deer, next night a salmon...
    Dewey Wilson: Or a wolf?
    Eddie Holt: Sure.
    Eddie Holt: Or an eagle.
    Eddie Holt: C'mon Dewey, just flap your arms and jump, its easy. It's all in the head.
    (Formerly known as Ζolius)

Awwww, c'mon. It's just kids being kids. Nothing to do with critical thinking or lying or anything, just imagination. Don't you remember when you "really" believed something was true? Like Santa. Most kids know their limits and will dive underwater and gasp that they feel like their skin feels itchy like it's turning into scales! But they know that they can't breathe underwater. And they don't set bear traps to capture Santa. I think they understand the game. And its limits.

Having once been Wicca myself, I can definitely appreciate what is dangerous and what is not, and I think this falls under the latter category. I think that to perform real magick, you have to have a level of cognitive faith that I don't think kids quite get yet because their minds are still exploring everything. I don't think they'll be able to actually evoke anything, especially since most of the spells they're giving aren't exactly the real stuff.

On the even more plus side, kids can't afford enough steak to make a mer-suit even IF they believed that yahoo answers guy, so that adds another layer of protection, I think : )

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    I still want to see a mer-tail made in a bacon pattern, though.

I second the motion for letting kids be kids. Heck, I'm 47 and believe in ghosts, fairies, Nessie, energy vampires, Atlantis, Bigfoot, and space aliens. And that degree of "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" takes a LOT of hard work!
    (Formerly known as Ζolius)

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Ζolius View Post
    I still want to see a mer-tail made in a bacon pattern, though.
    I think you'll have to wait on Lady Gaga for that one.