Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Teenagers thinking they can actually PHYSICALLY transform into a merperson?

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    well i believe that i am a descendant of a mermaid
    due to the fact that my great grandmother used to tell me stories about our ancestor who married a mermaid and had kids whit her before she disappered.
    but i do not believe that anything these little preteens say or think to be true.
    as a practicing witch sine i was 12 i can say for a fact that there is no way, spellwork or otherwise to transform yourself into a mermaid.
    These little twits of just been watching too much H2O and have too much free time to scour the internet.
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

:sits atop a clam shell: I want to hear this story.. Tell me more?
    The SeaGlass Siren

Well, I can tell you that spells were definitely a form of "fun" before the internet. When I was growing up the internet didn't exist then even when it did, it was so limited to what was on it.

We did tons of "spells" that did various things, we thought at least. Personally, I am a shapeshifter, but only on the non-phsyical plane.

I agree that they should be left alone unless doing something super harmful. Let them pretend. Imagination is healthy. :-)

Though, I still think parents need to focus on getting their children outside to play with others, not stuck inside. Ugh... whole other rant. Haha
    *bubbles*
    Mermaid Kalliope

Live long and swim free!

deviantART
    Facebook page

Ever since I joined Instagram I've found that this is where most of the kids and teenagers claiming to be real mermaids are. Some of the teens make videos using their "powers" using stupid tricks- like holding their hand out and moving the water with their "powers" when they're just moving the faucet out of frame, doing the shoot and switch stuff like switching out a glass of water for a glass that's been frozen in the freezer, they photoshop photos with simple brushes/layers to look like they can make water levitate, ect.

So why's it such a big deal? I mean kids will be kids. It's because they are convincing other kids that they are actually mermaids, and then the kids want it so bad that they actually believe they have turned into or are mermaids. They want it so badly that they tell themselves it is true until they actually believe it- some even make up false memories of how it happened or of being an actual mythical creature. This can psychologically damaging to have that kind of break with reality. Not to mention it is very traumatic when they eventually have to face reality and it all comes crashing down, and can lead to emotional damage that can stay with them their whole lives. I figure they just want to be popular, but I can see from their videos that they are old enough to know better than this. Doing that to kids is cruel, and I'm not sure if they're aware of that fact. For all I know it's just how them and their friends get a laugh and think it's harmless. But it's not, and I'm starting to see more and more of it across the internet. I'm starting to ask them to please re evaluate why the'yre doing this- the root cause of the emotions that drives them to follow through with that charade- and find a safe outlet for it, rather than one that can be potentially harmful or dangerous to children. I try to genuinely ask them to please do the responsible, moral, and right thing to do. It rarely works though.

Just venting- there have been so many of these accounts lately. What's more annoying is that they flood the #mermaid tag with all the pics that they steal off of google. And of course they're of people in the community. They also tend to put basically their watermark on it with their Instagram name, becuase there are so many of these friggin accounts that they are competing with each other for attention. I've seen them go off at other account users becuase they "stole their edit". Um, you took 5 minutes to put some text and a little frame around a photo with an app. What about the person who spent $3k on a tail, $2k for the trip to the location, who knows how much for all the years it took them to get there training/practice wise, and for the photographer $6-50k+ for their equipment depending on what they have. And they're arguing over that they "stole" the photo and it's theirs becuase it's "their edit". It just drives me MAD. Also you have to find it funny that they tell everyone they are really real mermaids, but they use photos of "fake mermaids" to gain attention and followers.

/rant

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

I always find "spells" on youtube that can turn yourself into a mermaid. Do people really think it works? o_o how silly!...
    (Formerly known as Mermaid Claudia)

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Mhara's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Mhara on Facebook
    I thought I could add my two cents into this

I was born into a a Pagan on one side of my family - my Grandmother (father's mother) was a Pagan Witch, and did practice in magic and divination. My mother's side were christian and my father himself decided to just not take part in anything (although he's not an atheist either) I was raised by my parents but spent a lot of time with my Grandmother, and was heartbroken when she died when I was only 8 years old. But before she died she use to talk to me about magic and use to push my belief in it whilst my parents tried to suppress it. (She even refused to let my mother christen me due to the idea that I would be angered by the fact I had no choice in the matter when I grew up - which I would have been, so 5 points to gran!)

Growing up I lost all faith in a God, due to the amount of hatred I recieved for believing in Fairies, and for when I came out as Gay from Christian individuals and the Bible itself - this led me to believe that if there is a God he would not be hateful. At 16, I was given what was left to me by my Grandmother - this included her personal Grimoire, a Crystal ball, a mountain of books on Witchcraft and Paganism, and a few other pretty things. This led me to take hold of my belief in Magic even further, and I am now a practicing Witch. I have had much experience with magic, rituals and spells. Have worked with covens and seen magic and spells work in a way 90% of this forum probably wouldn't believe...

But I can honestly say...if a spell to turn oneself into a mermaid or merman physically did exist...I would have done it by now!
    No, this magic doesn't exist.
    I for one though, do not find those of young minds who DO believe these spells might work silly or stupid or even gullible. They are young and have a much more open mind than we do, that's all. Leave them to it...so long as it's not 'Go drown yourself in a river on a full moon and it will work!' or something similar...I don't see the harm in it. The majority I have seen are 'fill a sink with water, place your hand in the water on a full moon and whisper 'I wish to be a mermaid' three times, then on the next full moon touch water and see what happens' or something small and fun like that.

Senior Member Pod of The South MermanZen's Avatar
    I've never done this but I must admit I have fallen on purpose when I touched water I was just getting into Mako mermaids

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I remember when the big "spell" was to say 'Candyman' into a mirror three times, or some such nonsense.

Spellcrafting, in the neo-Pagan sense of the word, is nothing more than manipulating energy towards a goal. Prayer, no matter what (if any) denomination you might follow, can be considered a form of practical magick.

I don't need a spell to change me into something I already know in my heart.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Sayh20andtouchwater

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

They should all read Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle before they go touching water to make something "magical" happen. Ice Nine, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Sayh20andtouchwater

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    Lol'ing forever
    Wellawyn (Wella) Elwenna Morgayne

~~The Fire Headed Mermaid~~

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    I remember when the big "spell" was to say 'Candyman' into a mirror three times, or some such nonsense.
    WTF? x_X

My reaction, too xD
    (Formerly known as Mermaid Claudia)

Senior Member Euro Pod Samantha Siren's Avatar
    I had a young girl email me begging me to let her know the secret of becoming a real mermaid because if she didn't turn into one her mum was going to make her give it up forever. So I gave her lots of advice about where to buy or how to make a tail but it didn't seem to be enough and she asked me about spells. Needless to say I think her mother made her give up mermaid when I told her that these "spells" wouldn't work. Pool Kid I felt bad for her but what could I do?

OMG! I could use this a thousand times a day in my office.

When I was a kid (mind you, I was around 7 and didn't know better), I thought I could turn into a mermaid by putting swim rings around my legs and swimming with my legs bound together. I got in so much trouble with my mom, who could clearly see that what I was doing was a good way to drown myself :P

this is like oneof those things like saying bloody mary in front of the mirror or how if you dont post something to ten people a dead girl will come and murder you in the night. i hate it when people do this kind of stuff they actually had to have an announcement at school because. some little girls were crying and thought they were going to die. its all good fun until someone gets hurt mentally or physically.
    "I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun."

mermaid ancestors, cool! I recently found my family crest on my mothers side and it has two mermaids on it.
    "I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun."

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMermaid View Post
    When I was a kid (mind you, I was around 7 and didn't know better), I thought I could turn into a mermaid by putting swim rings around my legs and swimming with my legs bound together. I got in so much trouble with my mom, who could clearly see that what I was doing was a good way to drown myself :P
    I guess you showed her!