Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opening eyes underwater

Quote Originally Posted by Lyric View Post
    Thank you! I knew part of that sounded a little wonky, turns out that I did actually make most of that up... So now that I've managed to look like a total doofus I've finally learned something hehehe.
    Nah, not at all You were right about the eyes being neutral, and I didn't know that! I am a google fiend, so whenever I decide I want to know something or I start typing but can't remember where I heard supposed fact from, I go digging :P Not everyone has the time or patience for that. Plus, we're all here to learn together, right?

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Quote Originally Posted by MermanJesse View Post
    I found that after several hours in spring water, which is usually 72 degrees, my eyes become hazy from the cold of the water.

Now that I think about it, I get that a lot too, sometimes when I'm not even swimming in cold water. My eyes don't hurt and there isn't really any sign of irritation or inflammation in the blood vessels, but sometimes for as much as an hour my vision is very hazy like everything has been whitewashed. It's never really bothered or worried me because I don't feel any pain or irritation, but should I be worried?
    ~There's Always a Siren Singing You to Shipwreck~
    There There- Radiohead

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Traveling Merman's Avatar

Opening eyes underwater

Hey guys RE: opening eyes, I used to be fine opening my eyes underwater in chlorinated pools but it has ruined my eyesight (so the ophthalmologist has told me) I've got keratoconus now because of it, keratoconus is a distortion of the cornea by that the collagen in the eye goes from being smooth to distorted like hills and valleys, and this is with UK pools which have a low chlorine amount anyway........ I was told distilled water and salt water are fine but in the same way salt draws water to it, if the sodium levels in the water are lower than the sodium levels in your eye then your body will suck up the water (not good) and if it is the reverse like in sea water the water is drawn from you! Although its not by means saying you can't swim in salt or river or spring water I was told to thoroughly rinse my eyes with eye drops afterwards, but I beg don't open your eyes in chemical filled water like pools otherwise you can lose sight over time (I started swimming and opening my eyes in pools infrequently round 6-7 yrs and I had 20/20 vision I'm 24 now and I'm near to being bind as a bat! I bump into things........on a regular basis now! Lol)
    Travelling Merman

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    So glad I found this thread! I have been practicing opening my eyes for the first time today...and it hurt! Was surprised and disappointed, especially after seeing youtube videos of the mers who make it look effortless. Especially since it's a small backyard pool with no chlorine! Ugh...am worried that I may never get past the pain long enough to get used to it. I want to be the best mermaid I can be and there will be no events for me if this is my underwater face:
    Attachment 11571

This is EXCACT my face in underwarer pictures :')

as someone who has worn googles for 22 years, the first time opening my eyes underwater was....not nice.
    My pool uses a UV filter, so it has minimal chlorine, but it is still there. I find that 80F water is comfortable. colder than that and you can feel it against your eyes.
    When I did it, I put on nose plugs so that I wouldnt have to worry about that, and just forced myself to do it. it stung at first. a LOT
    with practice, I find I can stay under longer and longer. in chlorine I do get the "haze" glow around lights. my vision goes foggy. fresh water is the best, saline, if you can find it, is AMAZNG
    to this day, I still cant open them in salt water.
    Mermaid Nami
    "Saving Our Sharks"

ALSO: I got this from my eye doctor, IF you wear contacts DO NOT SWIM IN THEM. there are a TON of very dangerous mcrobes that are water borne. they can get under your contact and eat away at your natural lens. take your contacts out, and then rinse your eyes with a sterile eye rinse to get the chlorinated water out.
    Mermaid Nami
    "Saving Our Sharks"

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling Merman View Post
    Hey guys RE: opening eyes, I used to be fine opening my eyes underwater in chlorinated pools but it has ruined my eyesight (so the ophthalmologist has told me) I've got keratoconus now because of it, keratoconus is a distortion of the cornea by that the collagen in the eye goes from being smooth to distorted like hills and valleys, and this is with UK pools which have a low chlorine amount anyway........ I was told distilled water and salt water are fine but in the same way salt draws water to it, if the sodium levels in the water are lower than the sodium levels in your eye then your body will suck up the water (not good) and if it is the reverse like in sea water the water is drawn from you! Although its not by means saying you can't swim in salt or river or spring water I was told to thoroughly rinse my eyes with eye drops afterwards, but I beg don't open your eyes in chemical filled water like pools otherwise you can lose sight over time (I started swimming and opening my eyes in pools infrequently round 6-7 yrs and I had 20/20 vision I'm 24 now and I'm near to being bind as a bat! I bump into things........on a regular basis now! Lol)
    MEEP!! This is why I always go nuts flushing my eyes with clear water after every swim.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    I loathe chlorine with a passion but I love to open my eyes in the ocean. Even when I used to scuba dive I'd take my mask off half the time.
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

I have never had a problem opening my eyes in a pool, so you'd think I'd be fine in fresh water or salt water right? nope. I'm terrified to even try. especially in the gulf of mexico, our salt content is so high, I'm terrified it will just burn for hours
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    My thought process - salt water is what lubricates our eyes... so wouldn't salt water not hurt so bad? It's been a few years since I was swimming in the ocean, I don't remember too much of a problem other than not being able to see, and they were a bit irritated later, but I attribute that to the fact that I was swimming at a beach in Boston...

Chlorine, well, I'm not fond of it, but I can open my eyes well enough to see. Then again, I used to pretend I was a mermaid in the bathtub as a kid, so I got a lot of practicce holding my eyes open underwater that way. I've never really used goggles, as they suck my eyeballs out (or at least it feels like they do).

Can't wait to get an underwater camera and see what funny faces I actually make :P

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Mermaid View Post
    My thought process - salt water is what lubricates our eyes... so wouldn't salt water not hurt so bad? It's been a few years since I was swimming in the ocean, I don't remember too much of a problem other than not being able to see, and they were a bit irritated later, but I attribute that to the fact that I was swimming at a beach in Boston...
    Yeah, once you're used to it, salt water is much less irritating than chlorine. The absolute best for opening eyes though? Brackish water. I've gone swimming in a local bayou once, and the water was mildly salty. Human tears are only mildly salty as well, so it was very comfortable opening my eyes. However, there was really no point, as the water is so murky you can't see your hand in front of your face.
    Hmm... I wonder if a saltwater pool could be made so that it matches the salinity of tears?
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

there are saline pools. they're hgh maintenence, but feel incredible to swim in!
    Mermaid Nami
    "Saving Our Sharks"

Visit Sarah Lotus's Youtube Channel
    How about those microbes? Do you know a good way to "google" the open water you plan on swimming in? I don't know exactly what I am looking at

I totally second the brackish water!

For a good part of the summer every year I have a smallerish above ground pool that I maintain with salt rather than chemicals because with the dry air and climate of Colorado we usually don't get too many of the nasty airborne goopies that more humid climates get, and it doesn't hurt my eyes AT all. I don't even have to deal with that prickly uncomfortable feeling that you get when your eyes are adjusting. It actually just feels pretty weird because the water is quite a bit colder than body temprature, but it doesn't hurt haha.

The main problem that I've had with my salt water pool is that for the first week or so the water is crystal clear and absolutely beautiful, but after that because it's so stagnant it starts to get really cloudy and kind of gross looking. I've been assured by pool cleaning professionals that if the saline level is maintained and the PH is checked on a regular basis that it's still safe to open my eyes in it and that there shouldn't be any bacteria that would cause me trouble, but it still kind of ruins it for me XD
    ~There's Always a Siren Singing You to Shipwreck~
    There There- Radiohead

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid_Dominique's Avatar
    Will try to open my eyes the next time I go swimming with my monofin, I am really afraid of the pain though, I tried to open them once when I was a child and remember it hurting pretty badly. I hate the fact that I can't wear my contact lenses underwater, I hate not being able to see things clearly. I will try it anyway, thanks for all the tips, it's really helpful!
    ''There's no great reward without great struggle''

I use contacts because I'm blind as a bat, underwater or not and I feel like it helps my eyes tolerate better because the water is not in straight contact with my eyes (yes?) Swimming eyes open with contacts makes them stick into my eyeballs like they are hanging on for dear life. I think the major irritation comes when I'm trying to get them off..

Add Mermaid Syrena on Facebook
    Riiarin, aren't you worried about serious eye infections? Do they help you see clearly? I would LOVE to see clearer underwater, but I'm too afraid of eye infections to risk swimming with contact lenses.

I'm pretty myopic without my contacts, but I take them off when I swim. It sucks- the dichotomy: have safe eyes underwater BUT not see people clearly onland, or see better underwater (and possibly lose a lens or two in the water) and see people clearly above land.
    The other day I swam in the extremely chlorinated water in my boyfriend's condo pool, though- and my eyes were so raw and swollen after that. And I couldn't see clearly for hours after. It was bad.
    User formerly known as "magickshewrote".

Syrena, Singapore's First Mermaid.“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.” - Roald Dahl.

Join me at www.facebook.com/syrenaswims
    I'm Cara Clandestine (magickshewrote@gmail.com) on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Syrena View Post
    Riiarin, aren't you worried about serious eye infections? Do they help you see clearly? I would LOVE to see clearer underwater, but I'm too afraid of eye infections to risk swimming with contact lenses.

I'm pretty myopic without my contacts, but I take them off when I swim. It sucks- the dichotomy: have safe eyes underwater BUT not see people clearly onland, or see better underwater (and possibly lose a lens or two in the water) and see people clearly above land.
    The other day I swam in the extremely chlorinated water in my boyfriend's condo pool, though- and my eyes were so raw and swollen after that. And I couldn't see clearly for hours after. It was bad.
    Yes I' am worried. I have had one mild infection due to nasty flu, not nice at all. That was before mermaiding..
    I avoid using contacts in chlorinated water. Hate chlorine..
    The ones I use when swimming is one day use only, very thin highly breathable lenses. I use one pair per swim and then throw them away. Plus use eyedrops after. They don't help me see clearly underwater. Everything is still a blur but a little less blur so to speak. And when it comes to losing lenses, well, you just learn how not to. I have lost a lens or two... or twenty

..Or twenty! HAHA.

Syrena, Singapore's First Mermaid.“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.” - Roald Dahl.

And yeah it sucks. We don't have clean oceans/freshwater springs in Singapore, so chlorine pools really are the only option. I mean, it's good that they're clean- but the eyes stingggg.