Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Mermaid Sex

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Coradion's Avatar

Visit Coradion's Youtube Channel

More Mermaid Sex

hawaiianmerman

anonymous asked:
    How do mermaids/mermen have sex💖

Mermen and mermaids actually have a very complex mating and life history cycle. Mermaids rise up into the water column once a year on the full moon and release hundreds of microscopic eggs into the ocean. Mermen release sperm and fertilize these eggs. Now the really interesting part is that merfolk eggs won’t hatch until they are consumed by a fish. When a fish eats a merfolk egg the exterior layer of the shell is dissolved away and some of the female fish’s DNA is incorporated into the egg. This fish DNA is what determines the color/pattern/type of a mermaid/merman’s tail. The fish then passes the merfolk egg with its own DNA in it back into the water where the egg begins to divide and grow. Baby mermaids and mermen develop in the plankton of the open ocean until they are large enough that they must go to a reef to hunt.

I hope that answers your question!

My take on how it happens... I'm not a marine biologist studying larval life histories of marine fishes :P

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merdude Ricky's Avatar
    haha. I like it. I'd never heard of anything like it. very creative!
    Formerly known as FishyRicky

this is a much prettier way than the dolphin style sex! although scientifically speaking the dolphin sex thing seems more accurate to me, but I'm clearly not majoring in the study of mermaids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    user formerly known as mermaidofthelabyrinth

I would go with dolphin style if the lower half were mammalian, but as it is fish by definition I will go with the typical form of marine fish reproduction cause it's more kid friendly.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    i like the idea of dolphin like sex but your depiction is very pretty and poetic and alot less perv lol
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

There are live bearing fish though...

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphina Suds View Post
    There are live bearing fish though...
    Very few adopt that life history strategy in the marine environment. It's more typically seen in freshwater and brackish systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Coradion View Post
    Very few adopt that life history strategy in the marine environment. It's more typically seen in freshwater and brackish systems.
    Not all mermaids come from a marine environment.

Not all mermaids come from a marine environment.
    That's nice. Although in the name "mermaid" it is a breakdown of sea-maid and I wrote this to apply to what in my imagination is the majority. In biology there are always exceptions and you can study those exceptions for lifetimes. So if you want to be a live bearing freshwater mermaid like a guppy mermaid or something feel free. This is my take on marine mers :P.

That's nice. Although in the name "mermaid" it is a breakdown of sea-maid and I wrote this to apply to what in my imagination is the majority. In biology there are always exceptions and you can study those exceptions for lifetimes. So if you want to be a live bearing freshwater mermaid like a guppy mermaid or something feel free. This is my take on marine mers .
    That's nice. I actually adore guppies.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    It has always bothered me that there is no English word for a "freshwater maid".
    There is one in all other languages I know, but not in English, as the part "mer" already means ocean, so.

Anyway, nice concept that also explains serpentine mermaids: their eggs get swallowed by seasnakes.

That's nice. I actually adore guppies.
    I do too, they're one of my favorite fishes! They have a really cool chemical signaling system with Schreckstoff!

I want guppies but my betta would devour them

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Fun123joker's Avatar

Follow Fun123joker on Tumblr
    well many different types of marine life give birth and have sex different types of ways so why not mermiads?

i really love the freshwater way. but i cant help to think what it would be like those human/mermaid couples you read about in teenage fiction. just the mermaid being all confused at the spouse like "why haven't you released your sperm/eggs yet?" and the human spouse just standing there being more confused and maybe creeped out

gif. from Free! Eternal summer ending
    ・゚: *✧・゚:* \(◕ω◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Quote Originally Posted by Fun123joker View Post
    well many different types of marine life give birth and have sex different types of ways so why not mermiads?

i really love the freshwater way. but i cant help to think what it would be like those human/mermaid couples you read about in teenage fiction. just the mermaid being all confused at the spouse like "why haven't you released your sperm/eggs yet?" and the human spouse just standing there being more confused and maybe creeped out
    Or if merfolk were sequential hermaphrodites. I think there should be a challenge where each person draws a card for a random mode of fish reproduction and has to write a bad fan fiction sex scene. Seahorse reproduction, live bearing, demersal spawning, etc.

I think there should be a challenge where each person draws a card for a random mode of fish reproduction and has to write a bad fan fiction sex scene. Seahorse reproduction, live bearing, demersal spawning, etc.
    I like the way you think

Thanks

Senior Member Pod of The South SeaMonkey's Avatar
    what i wonder is....... k if a merperson like in mako island has legs on land and tail in the water, what happens to reproduction then? if she gets pregnant and carries a baby like a dolphin what would happen if she went on land and vice versa? and if mermaids are egg layers, could she get pregnant on land like a human, and if she did, what would happen to it if shhe went back in the water permanently? they must have sex like humans when on land or no human would wanna marry em.
    I'm no ordinary girl
    I'm from the deep blue underworld
    Land or sea the worlds my oyster
    I'm the pearl
    No ordinary girl