Page 3 of 191 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Finfolk Productions: anyone ordered a tail from them? I just did!

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    What sort of monofin does Finfolk use in their tails?
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

A FFP tail is $2500
    Feel free to friend me on Facebook

*squeeee* I love it so much, I'm glad you guys do too!

And yes, their standard tails are $2,500 and come with a Finis Rapid monofin. I wanted a Competitor in mine, so they added that for an extra $170 so all up I paid $2,670. They may charge extra for the extra fins normally, but because I ordered this tail through their Kickstarter, they said they had all the funds built in for that so I got my extra fins as part of the normal cost of the tail. If you are curious about ordering one, you would have to message them on Facebook and ask (they're really good about getting back to you. When I originally sent them a message to ask about ordering a tail, they messaged me back like five minutes later). Also, I did pretty much custom design or help them design all this myself (I was especially particular about the scales and the side fins, which I wanted to look like those of an Asian arowana), but all the molds are going into their repetoire for their big Hawaii project, and then for their normal tailmaking business, so these scale and fin shapes will be available for all I would just hope that no one would copy my fin and color combinations exactly.

I will be posting a full review once I get it and am able to swim in it and get some pictures!!

Senior Member Pod of New England MerMarla's Avatar
    Hi Theobromine! Congrats! I was just looking and drooling over the construction pix! What an awesome tail and fluke! How long from when you ordered, got all the details (sizing, colors, scale shape, fluke shape...) and then completed? I would have to rob a bank right now to get one (my horses board runs about $1800, that comes first!) I can't wait for you to swim in it and post some pictures! Do you know if FinFolks cut your monofin in a sort of shape or is it still flat! That fluke is huge! I love it, love, love it! Congratulations again!

(((HUGz))) and Bubble 'z
    Mermaid Marla
    Once a Mermaid, always a mermaid!
    Weeki Wachee Springs - 1969-1972

So I just went back through all my Facebook messages and it looks like I first contacted them to ask about ordering a tail on April 23. They shipped my tail yesterday, June 17. So that was less than three months but keep in mind that was with sculpting ALL new molds, including the scales. Which they sculpted individually, by hand, out of clay. Because I was that picky about the shape and the little details on the scales. That was the part that took the longest. Now that they have that scale sheet done it would go a lot faster. The second longest was probably my fluke sculpture. I kept sending them pictures and ideas throughout the process and they kept sending me progress pictures, which was awesome. Once all the molds were done it went really fast, probably only a couple of weeks. They worked really hard and did such an amazing job!

Anyway, I know they did have to cut the Competitor a little, but because it is such a nice expensive monofin I wanted to sacrifice as little of it as possible, so all they really did was round off the sharp edges (to keep it from tearing the silicone) and trim a notch in the middle to accommodate the middle part of the fluke shape. Mostly they just built onto it, so as to preserve as much of the surface area (and power) of the monofin as possible.

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Finfolk should totally make the 'design your tail' templates with all their different flukes like Merbellas and the Mertailor do. As gorgeous as the pictures are, sometimes it's hard to see the exact fluke shape because it flows in the water. Not to mention I love coloring tail templates, lol. And it makes it easier to explain complex coloring schemes with a visual aid too. OMG! I just noticed how the two smaller hip fins are integrated into the scales! I am so impressed with this tailmaker.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Guys. Guys! GUYS!!! My tail is here!!! Take a look!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

That was just a quick cell phone pic for now, but I will be taking a lot more pics and posting a full review later on!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Tula's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Tula On Twitter Add Mermaid Tula on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Tula on Tumblr
    Oh Theo it's beautiful and you look great in it!!
    Hi! I'm Sam, aka Mermaid Tula, aka Comatose Angel.
    Hey everyone. I just opened my store on Facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/tulastidepool

Mermaid Tula's Facebook Page

User previously know as "Comatose_Angel"

Aaaaaahhhhhhh!!!! ^^;
    Feel free to friend me on Facebook

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Arella's Avatar
    Follow Arella On Twitter Add Arella on Facebook
    That's really pretty and unique!

absolutely beautiful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Theobromine View Post

That was just a quick cell phone pic for now, but I will be taking a lot more pics and posting a full review later on!
    OMG! That's yours?!

It looks amazing! You have to take some pics when you go swimming again!

That's seriously one of my favorite tails. From the colors to the scale shape to the fins. It's so beautiful!

"She felt a sarcastic impulse to point out to him that in some circles "inhuman" would be considered a compliment..."

- Waking Storms, Sarah Porter

Stumbled upon this thread and just saw the picture of your tail! It is amazing! Love the color and the fluke design! You look great in it. Im so jealous!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Theobromine View Post

Post a review, take some pics, make a video!

Thanks guys! I will definitely do a review after I get some better pics and some video, just have to wait until I have a day off and a decent camera!

It's gorgeous. I really love the detail of the scales... I'm imagining the time it took to make that mold! Looks so worth every penny and every moment of waiting.

SO worth it. And they did an incredible job on the molds. I knew I wanted scales with a realistic shape and texture and they made the best scales I have seen on any tail ever. And they took my sketches and ideas for fin shapes and did an even better job than I imagined

Senior Member Pod of The South Ariadne's Avatar
    Add Ariadne on Facebook
    So beautiful! Congratulations, I know you're thrilled!

Man, I can't wait to see this tail in person! And I'm bringing along my camera, so I'll be sure to take some photos!
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator